Showing properties of a propagator given certain Lorentz identities

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of the given Lorentz identities and the Lorentz invariance of the expression \Delta (x) = \frac{-i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{-ik \cdot x}. The conversation also explores the properties of this expression, such as \Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x) and \Delta(-x) = - \Delta (x). The conversation concludes with a proposed proof for \Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x) using a non-continuous proper Lorentz transformation
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Given that [tex]\Delta (x) = \frac{-i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{-ik \cdot x}.[/tex]

Show that [itex]\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)[/itex] and [itex]\Delta(-x) = - \Delta (x)[/itex].

HINT: You may need to use the following Lorentz identities

(i) [itex]\ (\Lambda k) \cdot (\Lambda x) = k \cdot x[/itex]

(ii) [itex]\ p \cdot (\Lambda x) = (\Lambda^{-1}p) \cdot x[/itex]

(iii) [itex]\ \left(\Lambda^{-1}k \right)^{2} = k^{2}[/itex]
Relevant Equations
Please see below
The following exercise was proposed by samalkhaiat here.

The given Lorentz identities were proven here.

We first note that ##d^4 k = d^3 \vec k dk_0##, the ##k_0## integration is over ##-\infty < k_0 < \infty## and ##\epsilon (k_0)## is the sign function, which is defined as

$$\epsilon (k_0)=\frac{k_0}{|k_0|}=
\begin{cases}
1, & \text{if} \ \ \ \ k_0>0 \\
-1, & \text{if} \ \ \ \ k_0<0
\end{cases} $$

OK let's now start with [itex]\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)[/itex]

Based on the hint, one may think the way to approach the problem is to show that ##\Delta (x)## is Lorentz invariant; we go term by term

1) $$e^{-i (\Lambda k) \cdot (\Lambda x)}=e^{-ik \cdot x}$$

2) I've been reading about why the given delta function is invariant, but I do not see what properties of the above were applied to get it.

3) I also have difficulties when trying to show that ##\epsilon (k_{0}) ## is invariant. Mandl & Shaw say that the invariance of the sign function is obvious 'since proper LTs do not interchange past and future', but I do not really understand what they meant here.

Is this the way to proceed (i.e. first trying to show invariance of ##\Delta (x)## and then try to show [itex]\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)[/itex]?

Once I understand how to show [itex]\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)[/itex], showing [itex]\Delta(-x) = - \Delta (x)[/itex]. should be easier.

Any hint would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
JD_PM said:
Homework Statement:: Given that [tex]\Delta (x) = \frac{-i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{-ik \cdot x}.[/tex]
Show that [itex]\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)[/itex] and [itex]\Delta(-x) = - \Delta (x)[/itex].
HINT: You may need to use the following Lorentz identities
(i) [itex]\ (\Lambda k) \cdot (\Lambda x) = k \cdot x[/itex]
(ii) [itex]\ p \cdot (\Lambda x) = (\Lambda^{-1}p) \cdot x[/itex]
(iii) [itex]\ \left(\Lambda^{-1}k \right)^{2} = k^{2}[/itex]
Relevant Equations:: Please see below

The following exercise was proposed by samalkhaiat here.

The given Lorentz identities were proven here.

We first note that ##d^4 k = d^3 \vec k dk_0##, the ##k_0## integration is over ##-\infty < k_0 < \infty## and ##\epsilon (k_0)## is the sign function, which is defined as

$$\epsilon (k_0)=\frac{k_0}{|k_0|}=
\begin{cases}
1, & \text{if} \ \ \ \ k_0>0 \\
-1, & \text{if} \ \ \ \ k_0<0
\end{cases} $$

OK let's now start with [itex]\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)[/itex]

Based on the hint, one may think the way to approach the problem is to show that ##\Delta (x)## is Lorentz invariant; we go term by term

1) $$e^{-i (\Lambda k) \cdot (\Lambda x)}=e^{-ik \cdot x}$$

2) I've been reading about why the given delta function is invariant, but I do not see what properties of the above were applied to get it.
How does ##k^2## transform? How does ##m^2## transform?

3) I also have difficulties when trying to show that ##\epsilon (k_{0}) ## is invariant. Mandl & Shaw say that the invariance of the sign function is obvious 'since proper LTs do not interchange past and future', but I do not really understand what they meant here.
Since ##k_0/|k_0|## is just the sign of ##k_0##, you have to address the question: under a proper Lorentz transformation, how does the zeroth component of a four-vector transform?

Likes JD_PM
Thank you, I think I got it.

nrqed said:
How does ##k^2## transform? How does ##m^2## transform?

They transform as scalars, so based on (iii) we see why the given delta function is invariant

$$\delta((\Lambda^{-1} k)^2 - (\Lambda^{-1} m)^2)=\delta(k^2 - m^2)$$

nrqed said:
Since ##k_0/|k_0|## is just the sign of ##k_0##, you have to address the question: under a proper Lorentz transformation, how does the zeroth component of a four-vector transform?

The zeroth component of a four vector is a scalar, so under continuous LT we expect to get

$$\epsilon (\Lambda^{-1} k_0)=\epsilon (k_0)$$

Besides, we know that the following integral is Lorentz Invariant (see Tong's notes, page 32)

$$\int d^4 k \delta (k^2 - m^2)$$

Above we've discussed why ##\Delta(x)## is Lorentz invariant. However, I did not discussed how to show
##\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)## and ##\Delta(-x) = - \Delta (x)##.

What I've been thinking is that we could use non-continuous proper Lorentz Transformations; i.e. time reversal ##(t, \vec x) \rightarrow (-t, \vec x)## to show those properties.

Let's first try to show that ##\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)##

We have

$$\Delta^{*} (x) = \frac{i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{ik \cdot x}.$$

So the idea was applying time reversal to ##\Delta^{*} (x)##; we get

$$f(k) = \frac{-i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{-ik \cdot x}.$$

Note that here ##k=(-k_0, \vec k)## due to time reversal. Thus we get ##k \cdot x = -k_0 x_0 -\vec k \cdot \vec x##, which justifies the sign of the exponent. Besides ##\epsilon (k_0) \rightarrow -\epsilon (k_0)##, which justifies the sign of the integral.

As ##\Delta^{*} (x)## is Lorentz invariant, the expression we get (which I labelled ##f(k)##) after applying time reversal to ##\Delta^{*} (x)## must be equal to ##\Delta^{*} (x)##. We also note that ##f(k)=\Delta (x)##. Thus

$$\Delta (x)=\Delta^{*} (x)$$

QED.

Do you agree? :smile:

Regarding ##\Delta(-x) = - \Delta (x)## I used the same idea; we start with

$$\Delta (-x) = \frac{-i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{ik \cdot x}.$$

Applying time reversal (i.e. ##\epsilon (k_0) \rightarrow -\epsilon (k_0)## and ##k=(-k_0, \vec k)##) we get

$$g(k) = \frac{i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{-ik \cdot x}.$$

Clearly ##g(k) = -\Delta(x)##, so

$$\Delta(-x) = - \Delta (x)$$

QED.

JD_PM said:
Thank you, I think I got it.
They transform as scalars, so based on (iii) we see why the given delta function is invariant

$$\delta((\Lambda^{-1} k)^2 - (\Lambda^{-1} m)^2)=\delta(k^2 - m^2)$$
The zeroth component of a four vector is a scalar, so under continuous LT we expect to get

$$\epsilon (\Lambda^{-1} k_0)=\epsilon (k_0)$$

Besides, we know that the following integral is Lorentz Invariant (see Tong's notes, page 32)

$$\int d^4 k \delta (k^2 - m^2)$$
Watch out, the zeroth component of a four vector is *not* a scalar. A scalar does not change under LT. ##k_0## changes value under a LT. What you must show that is the the *sign* of ##k_0## does not change under proper, ortho synchronous Lorentz transformations.

Likes JD_PM
nrqed said:
What you must show that is the the *sign* of ##k_0## does not change under proper, ortho synchronous Lorentz transformations.

Oh I see.

What I understand so far from the discussion in the relativity thread is that the sign of ##k_0## does not change under proper, ortho synchronous Lorentz transformations because when dealing with time-like vectors with ##k_0 >0## these remain ##k_0 >0## after the transformation (which means that they stay in the upper part of the cone) and when dealing with time-like vectors with ##k_0 <0## these remain ##k_0 <0## (which means that they stay in the lower part of the cone).

The above is a conceptual explanation; Is there a way to prove this mathematically?

I tried to show that ##\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)## and ##\Delta(-x) = - \Delta (x)## at #3 and #4 and failed.

Could you please give me a hint on what approach should I take to show them?

JD_PM said:
Let's first try to show that ##\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)##

We have

$$\Delta^{*} (x) = \frac{i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{ik \cdot x}.$$
Ok

So the idea was applying time reversal to ##\Delta^{*} (x)##; we get

$$f(k) = \frac{-i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{-ik \cdot x}.$$

Note that here ##k=(-k_0, \vec k)## due to time reversal. Thus we get ##k \cdot x = -k_0 x_0 -\vec k \cdot \vec x##, which justifies the sign of the exponent.
Wouldn't time reversal also change the sign of ##x_0## as well as change the sign of ##\vec k##? (##\vec k## is like a momentum. )So under time reversal wouldn't ##k \cdot x = k_0 x_0 - \vec k \cdot \vec x## become ## +k_0 x_0 + \vec k \cdot \vec x## ?

Instead of trying to introduce a symmetry transformation such as time reversal or a Lorentz transformation, go back to $$\Delta^{*} (x) = \frac{i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{ik \cdot x}.$$

Change the integration variables in ##\Delta^* (x)## from ##k_\mu## to ##k'_\mu## where ##k'_\mu = - k_\mu##. This should lead to ##\Delta^* (x) =\Delta (x)## (unless I'm missing something).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes JD_PM
JD_PM said:
The above is a conceptual explanation; Is there a way to prove this mathematically?
You don’t need that if you know the meaning of the proper Lorentz transformations, but yes you can prove it as follows: Lorentz transformation consists of rotations and boosts. Rotations leaves the time-component of vectors invariant. So you only need to consider boosts. Now, for a boost along the z-axis, you will have [tex](k^{0})^{\prime} = \gamma (k^{0} - \beta k^{3}).[/tex] But, you know that [itex]\gamma > 0[/itex] and [itex]\beta < 1[/itex]. So, for [itex]k^{0} > 0[/itex], you will have [tex]k^{0} > k^{3} > \beta k^{3} \ \Rightarrow \ (k^{0})^{\prime} > 0.[/tex] Similarly, [itex]k^{0} < 0 \ \Rightarrow \ (k^{0})^{\prime} < 0[/itex].

To prove that [itex]\Delta (x)[/itex] is Lorentz invariant, calculate [itex]\Delta (\Lambda x)[/itex] and use [itex]k \cdot \Lambda x = \Lambda^{-1}k \cdot x[/itex]. Now define a new integration variable by [tex]p = \Lambda^{-1}k, \ \Rightarrow \ p^{2} = (\Lambda^{-1}k)^{2} = k^{2}.[/tex] Since the proper Lorentz transformation leaves both the sign function and the 4-volume invariant, you can write [itex]\epsilon (k_{0}) = \epsilon (p_{0}), \ d^{4}k = d^{4}p[/itex]. So, you end up with [tex]\Delta (\Lambda x) = \frac{-i}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}p \ \epsilon (p_{0}) \delta (p^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i p \cdot x} = \Delta (x).[/tex]

To prove [itex]\Delta (-x) = - \Delta (x)[/itex], as well as [itex]\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)[/itex] change integration variable as [itex]k = - p[/itex], then use [itex]k^{2} = p^{2}, \ \epsilon (k_{0}) = - \epsilon (p_{0})[/itex] and [itex]d^{4}k = d^{4}p[/itex].

• Informative
Likes JD_PM
Thank you both for your replies :biggrin:

TSny said:
Wouldn't time reversal also change the sign of ##x_0## as well as change the sign of ##\vec k##? (##\vec k## is like a momentum. )So under time reversal wouldn't ##k \cdot x = k_0 x_0 - \vec k \cdot \vec x## become ## +k_0 x_0 + \vec k \cdot \vec x## ?

You are right, my bad.

samalkhaiat said:
You don’t need that if you know the meaning of the proper Lorentz transformations, but yes you can prove it as follows: Lorentz transformation consists of rotations and boosts. Rotations leaves the time-component of vectors invariant. So you only need to consider boosts. Now, for a boost along the z-axis, you will have [tex](k^{0})^{\prime} = \gamma (k^{0} - \beta k^{3}).[/tex] But, you know that [itex]\gamma > 0[/itex] and [itex]\beta < 1[/itex]. So, for [itex]k^{0} > 0[/itex], you will have [tex]k^{0} > k^{3} > \beta k^{3} \ \Rightarrow \ (k^{0})^{\prime} > 0.[/tex] Similarly, [itex]k^{0} < 0 \ \Rightarrow \ (k^{0})^{\prime} < 0[/itex].

To prove that [itex]\Delta (x)[/itex] is Lorentz invariant, calculate [itex]\Delta (\Lambda x)[/itex] and use [itex]k \cdot \Lambda x = \Lambda^{-1}k \cdot x[/itex]. Now define a new integration variable by [tex]p = \Lambda^{-1}k, \ \Rightarrow \ p^{2} = (\Lambda^{-1}k)^{2} = k^{2}.[/tex] Since the proper Lorentz transformation leaves both the sign function and the 4-volume invariant, you can write [itex]\epsilon (k_{0}) = \epsilon (p_{0}), \ d^{4}k = d^{4}p[/itex]. So, you end up with [tex]\Delta (\Lambda x) = \frac{-i}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}p \ \epsilon (p_{0}) \delta (p^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{- i p \cdot x} = \Delta (x).[/tex]

Oh I see it now.

TSny said:
Instead of trying to introduce a symmetry transformation such as time reversal or a Lorentz transformation, go back to $$\Delta^{*} (x) = \frac{i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{ik \cdot x}.$$

Change the integration variables in ##\Delta^* (x)## from ##k_\mu## to ##k'_\mu## where ##k'_\mu = - k_\mu##. This should lead to ##\Delta^* (x) =\Delta (x)## (unless I'm missing something).

samalkhaiat said:
To prove [itex]\Delta (-x) = - \Delta (x)[/itex], as well as [itex]\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)[/itex] change integration variable as [itex]k = - p[/itex], then use [itex]k^{2} = p^{2}, \ \epsilon (k_{0}) = - \epsilon (p_{0})[/itex] and [itex]d^{4}k = d^{4}p[/itex].

Ahhh so the trick was to introduce the change of variables ##k := - p## (I feel I bit silly now to be honest 😅)

- Let's show ##\Delta^{*}(x) = \Delta (x)##

We start with

Applying ##k = - p##, [itex]k^{2} = p^{2}, \ \epsilon (k_{0}) = - \epsilon (p_{0})[/itex] and [itex]d^{4}k = d^{4}p[/itex] to ##\Delta^{*} (x)## we get

$$\frac{-i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}p \ \epsilon (p_{0}) \delta (p^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{-ip \cdot x}=\Delta (x)$$

QED.

- Let's show [itex]\Delta (-x) = - \Delta (x)[/itex]

We start with

$$\Delta (-x) = \frac{-i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}k \ \epsilon (k_{0}) \delta (k^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{ik \cdot x}.$$

Applying ##k = - p##, [itex]k^{2} = p^{2}, \ \epsilon (k_{0}) = - \epsilon (p_{0})[/itex] and [itex]d^{4}k = d^{4}p[/itex] to ##\Delta (-x)## we get

$$\frac{i}{(2\pi)^{3}} \int d^{4}p \ \epsilon (p_{0}) \delta (p^{2} - m^{2}) \ e^{-ip \cdot x} = - \Delta (x)$$

QED.

Likes TSny

1. What is a propagator in physics?

A propagator is a mathematical tool used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of particles and their interactions. It represents the probability amplitude for a particle to travel from one point in space and time to another.

2. How do Lorentz identities relate to propagators?

Lorentz identities are mathematical equations that describe the symmetries of spacetime. They are used to constrain the form of propagators and ensure that they are consistent with the laws of physics.

3. What are the properties of a propagator?

The properties of a propagator include causality, unitarity, and locality. Causality means that the propagator only connects points in spacetime that are within each other's light cones. Unitarity ensures that probabilities are conserved. Locality means that the propagator only depends on the local properties of the field at each point in spacetime.

4. How are propagators used in practical applications?

Propagators are used in many practical applications, including particle physics experiments, quantum computing, and theoretical calculations. They allow scientists to make predictions about the behavior of particles and their interactions.

5. What are some examples of propagators?

Some examples of propagators include the Feynman propagator, which describes the propagation of a free particle, and the Green's function, which describes the response of a system to an external force. Other examples include the Wightman function, the Schwinger function, and the Hadamard function.