Showing that a set is an ideal

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Set
In summary: Then (minimal) it's (for left ideals) ##N \neq \emptyset## ##a - b \in N## for all ##a,b \in N####r \cdot a \in N## for all ##r\in R \, , \,a \in N##
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Show that the collection of all nilpotent elements of a commutative ring ##R## is an ideal.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Showing that something is an ideal is somewhat straightforward, but I am a little confused as to what explicitly I have to show. If we denote ##N## as the set in question, then I know that we have to show that ##aN \subseteq N## and ##Nb \subseteq## for all ##a,b \in R##. But what else do I have to show? Do I have to show that N is an additive subgroup?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:
Do I have to show that N is an additive subgroup
Yes

andrewkirk said:
Yes
Consider ##(a + b)^{m+n}##, where ##a,b \in N##. In the binomial expansion, each summand contains a term ##a^{i}b^{m+n−i}##. Now
either ##i \ge m## so that ##a^i## = 0 or ##m+ n − i \ge n## so that ##b^{m+n−i} = 0##. Thus each summand of ##(a + b)^{m+n}##
is zero, so ##(a + b)^{m+n} ##= 0 and ##N## is closed under addition. Also, since ##0^1 = 0##, ##0 \in N##.
Also ##(−a)^m## is either ##a^m## or ##−a^m##, so ##(−a)^m = 0## and ##-a \in N##.

Does this show that ##N## is a additive subgroup of ##R##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Consider ##(a + b)^{m+n}##, where ##a,b \in N##. In the binomial expansion, each summand contains a term ##a^{i}b^{m+n−i}##. Now
either ##i \ge m## so that ##a^i## = 0 or ##m+ n − i \ge n## so that ##b^{m+n−i} = 0##. Thus each summand of ##(a + b)^{m+n}##
is zero, so ##(a + b)^{m+n} ##= 0 and ##N## is closed under addition. Also, since ##0^1 = 0##, ##0 \in N##.
Also ##(−a)^m## is either ##a^m## or ##−a^m##, so ##(−a)^m = 0## and ##-a \in N##.

Does this show that ##N## is a additive subgroup of ##R##?
I think you need the power ##n+m+1##. But basically, yes. For an ideal you also need ##r \cdot a \in N##.

fresh_42 said:
I think you need the power ##n+m+1##. But basically, yes. For an ideal you also need ##r \cdot a \in N##.
In the solution to this problem in the book, it also shows that ##N## is closed under multiplication of elements in ##N##. It shows that ##(ab)^{mn} = (a^m)^n(b^n)^m = (0)(0) = 0##, so ##ab \in N##. Isn't this unnecessary? Don't I only need to show that ##N## is an additive subgroup and that is satisfies the absorption property for ideals? Where would being internally closed under multiplication fit in?

Mr Davis 97 said:
In the solution to this problem in the book, it also shows that ##N## is closed under multiplication of elements in ##N##. It shows that ##(ab)^{mn} = (a^m)^n(b^n)^m = (0)(0) = 0##, so ##ab \in N##. Isn't this unnecessary? Don't I only need to show that ##N## is an additive subgroup and that is satisfies the absorption property for ideals? Where would being internally closed under multiplication fit in?
Well, it does no harm and is almost obvious in a commutative ring. It shows, that ##N## carries also a ring structure. But if ##r \cdot a \in N## for all ##r \in R\, , \,a \in N##, doesn't this imply ##a\cdot b \in N## for all ##a,b \in N##?

fresh_42 said:
Well, it does no harm and is almost obvious in a commutative ring. It shows, that ##N## carries also a ring structure. But if ##r \cdot a \in N## for all ##r \in R\, , \,a \in N##, doesn't this imply ##a\cdot b \in N## for all ##a,b \in N##?
That's what I mean. It seems superfluous. I just want to make sure I know what is strictly necessary to show that some set is an ideal of a ring.

Mr Davis 97 said:
That's what I mean. It seems superfluous. I just want to make sure I know what is strictly necessary to show that some set is an ideal of a ring.
Then (minimal) it's (for left ideals)
  1. ##N \neq \emptyset##
  2. ##a - b \in N## for all ##a,b \in N##
  3. ##r \cdot a \in N## for all ##r\in R \, , \,a \in N##
Of course left and right ideals don't have to be distinguished in a commutative ring, but in general they have to be. And the first condition cannot be omitted by the second (##a-a \in N)##, as in case ##N## is empty, the second condition is still true, whereas ##0 \notin N##, which is needed. So we can also write ##0 \in N## as first condition.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is an ideal?

An ideal is a subset of a ring that has special properties. It is a non-empty subset that is closed under addition and multiplication by elements of the ring.

2. How can I show that a set is an ideal?

To show that a set is an ideal, you must prove that it satisfies the two defining properties of an ideal: closure under addition and closure under multiplication by elements of the ring.

3. What is the importance of proving that a set is an ideal?

Proving that a set is an ideal allows us to understand the structure and properties of a ring. It also helps us to identify which elements of the ring are "nice" or "useful" for certain operations.

4. Can a subset of a ring be both an ideal and a subring?

Yes, a subset of a ring can be both an ideal and a subring. In fact, every ideal is also a subring, but the converse is not always true.

5. What are some common examples of ideals?

Examples of ideals include the set of even integers in the ring of integers, the set of polynomials with a constant term of 0 in the ring of polynomials, and the set of matrices with a zero determinant in the ring of square matrices.