Showing that a state is unentangled under a certain condition

In summary, the conversation discusses an iff statement and proceeds to assume that the state operator is uncorrelated. The spectral decomposition of the state operator is shown and its eigenvectors are expanded in terms of its basis vectors. The partial states are shown to have specific forms and the statement assumes that a certain condition holds. The experts then proceed to show one direction of the implication, but the converse requires further work and explicitly constructing coefficients from the given equation. However, the expert is still unsure how to show the implication in the reverse direction.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Show that a two-qubit state vector

$$ |\phi \rangle = c_{00} |00\rangle + c_{01} |01\rangle + c_{10} |10\rangle + c_{11} |11\rangle \tag{*}$$

is non-entangled iff

$$c_{00} c_{11} = c_{01}c_{10} \tag{**}$$
Relevant Equations
$$\hat \rho = \sum_m \rho_m |\phi_m \rangle \langle \phi_m | \tag{1}$$

$$|\phi_k \rangle = \sum_{m,n} c_{m,n}^k | a_m b_n \rangle \tag{2}$$

More below
This is an iff statement, so we proceed as follows

##\Rightarrow## We assume that ##|\phi \rangle## is uncorrelated. Thus the state operator must be of the form ##\hat \rho = \rho^{(1)} \otimes \rho^{(2)}## (equation ##8.16## in Ballentine's book).

The spectral decomposition of the state operator ##\hat \rho## is

$$\hat \rho = \sum_m \rho_m |\phi_m \rangle \langle \phi_m | \tag{1}$$

The eigenvectors of ##\hat \rho## can be expanded in terms of its basis vectors (as suggested by ##(*)##)

$$|\phi_k \rangle = \sum_{m,n} c_{m,n}^k | a_m b_n \rangle \tag{2}$$

Plugging ##(2)## into ##(1)## we get

$$\rho = \sum_k \rho_k \sum_{m,n} \sum_{m',n'} \Big( c_{m,n}^k \Big) \Big( c_{m',n'}^k \Big)^* | a_m b_n \rangle \langle a_{m'} b_{n'} | \tag{3}$$

By definition we know that

$$\rho^{(1)} := \text{Tr}^{(2)} \rho \tag{4}$$

The matrix elements of ##\rho^{(1)}## are (i.e. we sum over ##n##)

$$\langle a_m | \rho^{(1)} | a_{m'} \rangle = \sum_n \langle a_m b_n| \rho | a_{m'} b_{n} \rangle \tag{5}$$

Based on ##(3),(5)## we get that the partial state ##\rho^{(1)}## has the following form

$$\rho^{(1)} = \sum_k \rho_k \sum_{m,m'} \sum_{n} \Big( c_{m,n}^k \Big) \Big( c_{m',n}^k \Big)^* | a_m \rangle \langle a_{m'}| \tag{6}$$

Analogously we get that ##\rho^{(2)}## has the following form

$$\rho^{(2)} = \sum_k \rho_k \sum_{n ,n'} \sum_{m} \Big( c_{m,n}^k \Big) \Big( c_{m,n'}^k \Big)^* | b_n \rangle \langle b_{n'}| \tag{7}$$

It looks to me that the statement is assuming that ##\rho_k=1## for all values of ##k## (where ##k=1,2,3,4##).

As the state operator must be of the form ##\hat \rho = \rho^{(1)} \otimes \rho^{(2)}## we get

$$\hat \rho = \Big[\sum_{m,m'} \sum_{n} \Big( c_{m,n} \Big) \Big( c_{m',n} \Big)^* | a_m \rangle \langle a_{m'}|\Big] \otimes \Big[\sum_{n ,n'} \sum_{m} \Big( c_{m,n} \Big) \Big( c_{m,n'} \Big)^* | b_n \rangle \langle b_{n'}|\Big]$$ $$=\Big[\sum_{m,m'} \sum_{n} \Big( c_{m,n} \Big) \Big( c_{m',n} \Big)^* \Big]\Big[\sum_{n ,n'} \sum_{m} \Big( c_{m,n} \Big) \Big( c_{m,n'} \Big)^* \Big]|a_{m} b_{n} \rangle \langle a_{m'} b_{n'}| \tag{8}$$

The issue I have is that I still do not see how to show ##c_{00} c_{11} = c_{01}c_{10}## out of ##(8)##

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
To show implication one way, you could start with an unentangled state:
$$(a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) \otimes (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle)$$
And show that the equation holds for the resulting coefficients.

The reverse implication requires a bit of fiddling about with complex numbers to obtain ##a, b, c, d##.

Likes JD_PM, vanhees71 and mfb
PeroK said:
The reverse implication requires a bit of fiddling about with complex numbers to obtain ##a, b, c, d##.
Which is still far easier than the giant equations OP set up.

Likes vanhees71
Before proceeding: my understanding of an unentangled state is the following

$$|\phi \rangle = \sum_{m,n} c_{m,n} | a_m b_n \rangle=\sum_{m,n} w_m l_n | a_m \rangle \otimes| b_n \rangle$$

i.e. each state (##| a_m \rangle, | b_n \rangle##) has its own complex coefficient (##w_m, l_n##).

PeroK said:
To show implication one way, you could start with an unentangled state:
$$(a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) \otimes (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle)$$
And show that the equation holds for the resulting coefficients.

Alright so we have

$$(a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) \otimes (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle) = ac|00\rangle + ad|01\rangle + bc|10\rangle + bd |11\rangle$$

But here's my confusion: why does ##acbd = adbc## condition imply unentanglement?

JD_PM said:
Before proceeding: my understanding of an unentangled state is the following

$$|\phi \rangle = \sum_{m,n} c_{m,n} | a_m b_n \rangle=\sum_{m,n} w_m l_n | a_m \rangle \otimes| b_n \rangle$$

i.e. each state (##| a_m \rangle, | b_n \rangle##) has its own complex coefficient (##w_m, l_n##).
Alright so we have

$$(a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) \otimes (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle) = ac|00\rangle + ad|01\rangle + bc|10\rangle + bd |11\rangle$$

But here's my confusion: why does ##acbd = adbc## condition imply unentanglement?
A state is not entangled iff it is the product of (pure) single-particle states. That means explicitly that:
$$|\phi \rangle = (a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) \otimes (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle)$$
Where $$a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle, \ \ \text{and} \ \ c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle$$ are the single-particle states. The state is entangled, therefore, iff it cannot be written in this form.

You have shown the implication one way: unentangled implies ##c_{00}c_{11} = c_{01}c_{10}##.

The converse requires some work. You could start with this equation and explicitly construct ##a, b, c, d## from the coefficients ##c_{mn}##.

Likes vanhees71 and JD_PM
PeroK said:
The converse requires some work. You could start with this equation and explicitly construct ##a, b, c, d## from the coefficients ##c_{mn}##.

Let's proceed.

##\Rightarrow## We assume ##c_{00}c_{11} = c_{01}c_{10}##.

Based on ##|\phi \rangle = \sum_{m,n} c_{m,n} | a_m b_n \rangle## we get

$$|\phi \rangle = c_{00} | 00 \rangle + c_{11} | 11 \rangle + c_{10} | 10 \rangle + c_{01} | 01 \rangle $$

We now can set ##c_{00}=ac, c_{11}=bd, c_{10}=bc, c_{01}=ad## to get

$$|\phi \rangle = (a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle)$$

I guess we now have to use ##c_{00}c_{11} = c_{01}c_{10}## to show that ##(a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) \otimes (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle)## holds.

Mmm I still do not see it though ...

JD_PM said:
Let's proceed.

##\Rightarrow## We assume ##c_{00}c_{11} = c_{01}c_{10}##.

Based on ##|\phi \rangle = \sum_{m,n} c_{m,n} | a_m b_n \rangle## we get

$$|\phi \rangle = c_{00} | 00 \rangle + c_{11} | 11 \rangle + c_{10} | 10 \rangle + c_{01} | 01 \rangle $$

We now can set ##c_{00}=ac, c_{11}=bd, c_{10}=bc, c_{01}=ad## to get

$$|\phi \rangle = (a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle)$$

I guess we now have to use ##c_{00}c_{11} = c_{01}c_{10}## to show that ##(a|0\rangle + b|1\rangle) \otimes (c|0\rangle + d|1\rangle)## holds.

Mmm I still do not see it though ...
You need to use the constraints of the problem.

First, if any of the coefficents ##c_{mn} = 0##, then the problem becomes trivial (exercise). So, the difficult case is when they are all non-zero. In that case, you have ##c_{11} = \frac{c_{01}c_{10}}{c_{00}}##.

You may also need that ##c_{00}^2 + c_{01}^2 + c_{10}^2 + c_{11}^2 = 1##.

Finally, it helps a little if you see that you can always take ##a## to be real.

Then, it's not too bad. But, it's not something you can just "see".

Mmm honestly I still do not see it.

I am sure it has to be done by comparing ##c_{mn}## to ##a,b,c,d## coefficients.

If I get it I'll post it :smile:

JD_PM said:
Mmm honestly I still do not see it.

I am sure it has to be done by comparing ##c_{mn}## to ##a,b,c,d## coefficients.

If I get it I'll post it :smile:
Try
$$a = \frac{|c_{00}|}{\sqrt{|c_{00}|^2 + |c_{10}|^2}}$$

Likes JD_PM
Hi PeroK

PeroK said:
Try
$$a = \frac{|c_{00}|}{\sqrt{|c_{00}|^2 + |c_{10}|^2}}$$

Naive question: how did you get it?

JD_PM said:
Naive question: how did you get it?
First, let me use ##A, B, C, D## instead of ##c_{00} \dots##. What I did was this:
$$ ac = A, ad = B, bc = C, bd = D = \frac{BC}{A}$$
This gives
$$\frac b a = \frac C A, \ \ \text{hence} \ \ b = \frac C A a$$
Then use
$$|a|^2 + |b|^2 = 1$$
To get ##|a|## and then take ##a## to be real and positive.

• Love
Likes JD_PM

1. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become intrinsically connected, so that the state of one particle cannot be described without considering the state of the other particle(s).

2. How do you show that a state is unentangled?

To show that a state is unentangled, we can use the concept of separability. A state is separable if it can be written as a combination of states for each individual particle. If the state cannot be written in this way, it is unentangled.

3. What is the importance of proving that a state is unentangled under a certain condition?

Proving that a state is unentangled under a certain condition can help us understand the behavior of quantum systems and how they interact with each other. It also has practical applications in quantum information processing and quantum computing.

4. What are some techniques used to show that a state is unentangled?

Some techniques used to show that a state is unentangled include the Schmidt decomposition, which decomposes a state into a sum of entangled and unentangled components, and the positive partial transpose (PPT) criterion, which checks if the partial transpose of a state is positive.

5. Can a state be partially entangled?

Yes, a state can be partially entangled. This means that some particles in the state are entangled while others are not. In other words, the state is not fully entangled, but it is also not completely separable.