Showing that an element is a unit in a ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the ring of integral Hamiltonian quaternions, where multiplication follows the same rules as in the ring of real Hamiltonian quaternions. A function is defined that maps elements of this ring to the set of integers. It is then shown that if the output of this function is equal to 1, then the corresponding element is a unit. The conversation ends with a discussion of how to show the reverse implication, which involves finding the inverse of the element and demonstrating that it is in the ring and actually serves as the inverse.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Let ##S=\{a+bi+cj+dk \mid a,b,c,d \in \mathbb{Z}\}## be the ring of integral Hamiltonian quaternions, where multiplication is defined using the same rules as in ##\mathbb{H}##, the ring of real Hamiltonian quaternions. Define a function $$N:S\to\mathbb{Z}, N(a+bi+cj+dk)=a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2.$$

Show that if ##N(\alpha)=1##, then ##\alpha## is a unit

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So suppose we know that ##N(\alpha) = \alpha\bar{\alpha}##, where the bar is the conjugate of the quaternion. If ##N(\alpha)=1##, then ##\alpha\bar{\alpha} = 1##. So to show that ##\alpha## is a unit, all I need to show is the other direction, that ##\bar{\alpha}\alpha=1##. How can I do this? In groups one implies the other since we have inverses, but this is not the case with rings.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you already know the inverse, show that it is in ##S## and that it actually is the inverse.

fresh_42 said:
If you already know the inverse, show that it is in ##S## and that it actually is the inverse.
Well all I know is that ##\alpha\bar{\alpha} = 1##. Clearly ##\bar{\alpha}\in S##, so all I need to show that ##\bar{\alpha}\alpha = 1##. But I don't see how to get that

Mr Davis 97 said:
Well all I know is that ##\alpha\bar{\alpha} = 1##. Clearly ##\bar{\alpha}\in S##, so all I need to show that ##\bar{\alpha}\alpha = 1##. But I don't see how to get that

If ##\alpha=a+bi+cj+dk## and you define ##\bar{\alpha}=a-bi-cj-dk## so that ##\alpha \bar \alpha=a^2+b^2+c^2+d^2##, doesn't that make ##\bar \alpha \alpha=a^2+(-b)^2+(-c)^2+(-d)^2##?

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. How do you show that an element is a unit in a ring?

To show that an element is a unit in a ring, you must prove that it has a multiplicative inverse. This means that there exists another element in the ring that, when multiplied by the element in question, equals the multiplicative identity element (usually denoted as 1). This is often done through the use of the Euclidean algorithm or by finding the greatest common divisor between the element and the ring's characteristic.

2. What is the significance of an element being a unit in a ring?

If an element is a unit in a ring, it means that it has a well-defined inverse and that it can be used to perform division within the ring. This is important because it allows for the generalization of concepts like fractions and rational numbers to other algebraic structures.

3. Can an element be a unit in one ring but not in another?

Yes, an element can be a unit in one ring but not in another. The existence of a multiplicative inverse depends on the specific ring and its properties, such as its characteristic and the elements it contains. For example, in a ring where all elements are units (known as a field), every element is a unit. However, in a ring where only the identity element is a unit, no other elements will have multiplicative inverses.

4. What is the difference between a unit and an element with a multiplicative inverse?

In the context of rings, there is no difference between a unit and an element with a multiplicative inverse. The term "unit" is often used to emphasize the importance of elements with multiplicative inverses and their role in allowing for division within a ring.

5. Are there any other ways to prove that an element is a unit in a ring?

Yes, there are other ways to prove that an element is a unit in a ring. For example, if a ring is finite, one can use Lagrange's theorem to show that every non-zero element is a unit. Additionally, if a ring is commutative, one can use the Chinese remainder theorem to show that an element is a unit if and only if it is relatively prime to the ring's characteristic.