Showing that commutator is invariant under orthchronous LTs

In summary, the conversation was about proving the Lorentz invariance of the commutator of two real free fields. The expression for the Feynman propagator and its transformation properties were discussed, and a proof was found showing that the integration over k-space is a Lorentz invariant measure. The importance of orthochronocity was also mentioned.
vertices
I'm having difficulty deciphering my notes which 'proove' that the commutor of two real free fields φ(x) and φ(y) (lets call it i∆) ie. i∆=[φ(x),φ(y)] are Lorentz invariant under an orthocronous Lorentz transformation. Not sure if it helps but φ(x)=∫d3k[α(k)e-ikx+(k)eikx].

Now, apparently I have to 'observe' that:

i∆=∫d4k.δ(k2-m2)ε(k0)e-ikx

where ε(k0) = 1 if k0>0 and -1 if k0<0.

Firstly, I can't see at all, how this expression comes about: why there is a delta function δ(k2-m2) (this looks like the mass shell condition, but why is it relavent here?)

The "ε(k0) keeps positive k0 positive and negative k0 negative". I guess this makes sense because an orthocronous LT maps future directed vectors to future directed vector and past to past.

But I still can't see why that expression proves that ∆(Lx)=∆(x).

Any thought?

Physics news on Phys.org
i/delta is Feynman propagator.
since field theory is relativistic hence all the expression must be Lorenz Invariant.

Hi vertices,
I'm only studying this stuff myself atm, but think I might be able to make a few helpful observations (pending corrections by my superiors :wink:)

Firstly, the definition of the field you've written down doesn't explicitly use a lorentz invariant measure, as in general 3D subsets of 4D minkowski space aren't preserved under arbitrary lorentz transformations. (I'm guessing this will manifest itself in the transformation properties of your creation and annihilation operators- are they defined containing the reciprocal of the energy?) However, the 3d subspace of minkowski momentum space defined by the on-shell condition, coupled with the step function, is lorentz-invariant; it's not co-ordinate dependent, but is defined wrt the lorentz invariant inner product.

Once you've observed that the measure is lorentz invariant, you just have to observe that the exponent is defined wrt a Minkowski inner product, so it's obviously lorentz invariant.

vertices said:
Now, apparently I have to 'observe' that:

i∆=∫d4k.δ(k2-m2)ε(k0)e-ikx

where ε(k0) = 1 if k0>0 and -1 if k0<0.

Firstly, I can't see at all, how this expression comes about: why there is a delta function δ(k2-m2) (this looks like the mass shell condition, but why is it relavent here?)
Write the delta function as a sum of two delta functions (to get rid of (k0)2), integrate over k0, and the expression should reduce to the "familiar" propagator for scalar fields.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - they've certainly been helpful.

I have found a neat proof that shows that the integration over k-space is indeed equal to the expression d4k.δ(k2-m2)ε(k0), along the lines saaskis recommended..

Can I ask a rather stupid question:

What makes that expression a Lorentz Invariant measure?

vertices said:
What makes that expression a Lorentz Invariant measure?
If you want to calculate [tex]\Delta (\Lambda x) [/tex] and show that it is equal to [tex]\Delta (x) [/tex], I think you'll have to make a change of variables in the integration over k-space. This change of variables is itself a Lorentz transformation, and since expressions like [tex]k^2=k_{\mu}k^{\mu}[/tex] are Lorentz-invariant, the claim follows. The orthochronocity (is this English?) is required as well, perhaps you can see where.

Related to Showing that commutator is invariant under orthchronous LTs

1. What is a commutator?

A commutator is a mathematical operation that measures the extent to which two operations do not commute. In other words, it measures how much the order of operations affects the final result.

2. What is an orthochronous Lorentz transformation?

An orthochronous Lorentz transformation is a type of transformation that preserves the direction of time, as well as the speed of light, in the theory of relativity.

3. Why is it important to show that the commutator is invariant under orthochronous LTs?

It is important because it provides a mathematical proof that certain physical quantities, such as energy and momentum, are conserved in relativistic systems. This is an important concept in understanding the behavior of particles and systems in high-speed or high-energy situations.

4. How can one show that the commutator is invariant under orthochronous LTs?

To show that the commutator is invariant under orthochronous LTs, one must use the mathematical equations that define these transformations and apply them to the commutator operation. This involves using properties of matrices and vector calculus to simplify the equations and prove that the commutator remains unchanged.

5. What are the practical applications of proving the invariance of the commutator under orthochronous LTs?

The practical applications of this proof lie in the fields of particle physics and relativity. It allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of particles in high-speed or high-energy situations, and it also helps to validate the fundamental principles of the theory of relativity.