Showing That $\frac{d}{d_a} F_a(\hat{X}) \cdot \psi = F'(x) \psi$ at a=0

In summary: Insertion gives In summary, Consider the operator ##F_a(\hat{X}) =e^{ia \hat{p} / \hbar} \cdot F(\hat{X}) e^{-ia \hat{p} / \hbar}## where a is real. We are asked to show that ##\frac{d}{d_a} F_a(\hat{X}) \cdot \psi = F'(x) \psi## evaluated at a=0. To do this, we take the derivative using the chain rule and simplify to get ##\frac{i}{\hbar}[\hat p, F(\hat x)]\psi##. Finally, we use the commutation relation between ##\hat p
John Greger

Homework Statement

Consider the operator ##F_a(\hat{X}) =e^{ia \hat{p} / \hbar} \cdot F(\hat{X}) e^{-ia \hat{p} / \hbar}## where a is real.

Show that ##\frac{d}{d_a} F_a(\hat{X}) \cdot \psi = F'(x) \psi## evaluated at a=0.

And what is the interpretation of the operator e^{i \hat{p_a} / \hbar}?

The Attempt at a Solution

By just starting taking the derivative I find that,
## \frac{d}{d_a} F_a(\hat{X}) = (\frac{i \hat{p}}{ \hbar}) e^{ia \hat{p} / \hbar} \cdot F(\hat{X}) e^{-ia \hat{p} / \hbar} - e^{ia \hat{p} / \hbar} \cdot F(\hat{X}) (\frac{i \hat{p}}{\hbar}) e^{-ia \hat{p} / \hbar} ##

Plugging a=0 gives,

## \frac{i}{h}[ \hat{p}, \hat{F}]##. But how do I take it from here to get the required form?And finally, what is the interpretation of ##e^{i \hat{p_a} / \hbar}##?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
John Greger said:
But how do I take it from here to get the required form?
Are you perhaps familiar with some commutation relation involving the argument of ##\hat F##?

John Greger said:
And finally, what is the interpretation of ei^pa/ℏeipa^/ℏe^{i \hat{p_a} / \hbar}?
What are your thoughts?

Orodruin said:
Are you perhaps familiar with some commutation relation involving the argument of ^FF^\hat F?
If the operators are hermitian I know they commute, but other than that it dosen't ring a bell.

John Greger said:
If the operators are hermitian I know they commute, but other than that it dosen't ring a bell.
This is not correct. Hermitian operators need not commute. Just look at, just off the top of my head for no apparent reason whatsoever, say ##\hat x## and ##\hat p## ...

Orodruin said:
This is not correct. Hermitian operators need not commute. Just look at, just off the top of my head for no apparent reason whatsoever, say ##\hat x## and ##\hat p## ...
Okey. Anyway I'm pretty stuck at the problem. I only get as far as in my attempt of solution.

Insertion gives
$$
\frac{i}{\hbar}[\hat p, F(\hat x)]\psi,
$$
which means that you now need to show that ##(i/\hbar)[\hat p, F(\hat x)] = F'(\hat x)##. The absolutely easiest way to do that is via the commutation relation between ##\hat p## and ##\hat x##.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the significance of showing that $\frac{d}{d_a} F_a(\hat{X}) \cdot \psi = F'(x) \psi$ at a=0?

Showing that this equation holds at a=0 means that the derivative of the function $F_a(\hat{X})$ with respect to the parameter a is equivalent to the derivative of the function $F(x)$ evaluated at the point x where x is equal to 0. This is important because it demonstrates that the behavior of the function is consistent regardless of the value of the parameter, and that the derivative can be calculated at a specific point instead of the entire range of a values.

2. How is the derivative of $F_a(\hat{X})$ calculated at a=0?

The derivative of $F_a(\hat{X})$ is calculated by taking the limit as a approaches 0 of the difference quotient $\frac{F_a(\hat{X})-F_a(\hat{X})}{a}$, which is equivalent to the definition of a derivative.

3. Why is a=0 a significant point to evaluate the derivative?

Evaluating the derivative at a=0 allows us to simplify the calculation and gain insight into the behavior of the function at a particular point. Additionally, it may provide information about the overall behavior of the function as a whole.

4. Is showing that $\frac{d}{d_a} F_a(\hat{X}) \cdot \psi = F'(x) \psi$ at a=0 always possible for any function?

No, this is not always possible for any function. The function must be differentiable and continuous at a=0 for this equation to hold. If the function is not differentiable or continuous at a=0, then this equation will not hold.

5. How can showing this equation at a=0 be applied in real-world scenarios?

This equation can be applied in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to analyze the behavior of systems and make predictions. For example, in economics, this equation can be used to model the relationship between two variables and understand how changes in one variable affect the other. In physics, it can be used to analyze the motion of objects and predict their trajectory. In engineering, it can be used to optimize designs and improve efficiency.