Showing the corrosion of metals when placed in acid

In summary, the student is struggling with writing chemical equations for the corrosion of iron, aluminum, and copper in acetic acid and citric acid. They have attempted the reaction for iron and acetic acid, but are unsure if it is correct. They also have questions about what happens to iron in acetic acid and what catalyzes this reaction.
val1ant

Homework Statement

for a science experiment i am required to write relevant chemical equations to reactions that have occurred. I am having trouble showing the corrosion of iron, aluminum and copper in acetic acid and citric acid.

Homework Equations

heres what i have so far:

Fe + 2 CH3COOH → (CH3COO)2 Fe + H2

i think this is the reaction that iron and acetic acid undergo, but not too sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

im lost as i don't know what happens to iron in acetic acid
and also what catalyses this reaction?
thanks in advance for you help

Physics news on Phys.org
val1ant said:
Fe + 2 CH3COOH → (CH3COO)2 Fe + H2

This is correct, although I prefer to write iron acetate as Fe(CH3COO)2. But it is just a personal thing.

1. What causes metals to corrode when placed in acid?

When metals are exposed to acid, a chemical reaction occurs between the metal and the acid. This reaction causes the metal to lose electrons, leading to the breakdown of the metal's structure and the formation of corrosion.

2. How does the type of acid affect the corrosion of metals?

The corrosive effects of acid on metals depend on the type and concentration of the acid. Stronger acids, such as hydrochloric acid, can cause more rapid and severe corrosion compared to weaker acids, such as acetic acid.

3. Can all metals be corroded by acid?

Not all metals are equally susceptible to corrosion by acid. Some metals, like gold and platinum, are relatively resistant to corrosion, while others, like iron and aluminum, are more likely to corrode when exposed to acid.

4. How can the rate of corrosion be measured?

The rate of corrosion can be measured using tools such as corrosion rate meters, weight loss analysis, and electrochemical techniques. These methods allow scientists to quantify the amount of metal lost due to corrosion over a specific period of time.

5. Can corrosion be prevented in metals exposed to acid?

Corrosion can be prevented through various methods, including the use of protective coatings, such as paint or plating, or by altering the environment to make it less corrosive. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help prevent corrosion in metals exposed to acid.