Sign of the Faraday-Lenz equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Faraday-Lenz equation in electromagnetic induction exercises, specifically in determining the electromotive force. Some exercises use the absolute value while others use the negative sign of the equation. There is a suggestion to use the absolute value and mention the direction to avoid difficulty in commenting without knowing the numerical.
Guillem_dlc

Homework Statement

Hello, good afternoon,
I have a question that's coming up when I'm doing electromagnetic induction exercises. In some exercises they ask me to determine the electromotive force (iee), and when they do the exercise resolution they do it with absolute value. In other exercises, however, they put the negative sign of the Faraday-Lenz equation.
If someone would help me, I'd appreciate it.

Homework Equations

Faraday-Lenz equation

The Attempt at a Solution

The sign of the equation

Physics news on Phys.org
It actually depends on the numerical.

In general, some professors, like Ramamurti Shankar (see below) advises to use the absolute value, and finally mention the direction.

Otherwise it'll be difficult to comment without looking at the numerical.

Likes Guillem_dlc

1. What is the Faraday-Lenz equation and what does it describe?

The Faraday-Lenz equation is a fundamental equation in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between changes in magnetic flux and induced electromotive force. It states that the induced electromotive force in a closed loop is proportional to the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the loop.

2. Who discovered the Faraday-Lenz equation?

The Faraday-Lenz equation is named after Michael Faraday and Heinrich Lenz, who independently discovered and described the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction in the 1830s. The equation was later formulated and published by James Clerk Maxwell in the 1860s.

3. What is the significance of the negative sign in the Faraday-Lenz equation?

The negative sign in the Faraday-Lenz equation indicates that the induced electromotive force is always in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux. This is known as Lenz's law, which is a consequence of the law of conservation of energy.

4. How is the Faraday-Lenz equation used in practical applications?

The Faraday-Lenz equation is used in a variety of practical applications, including generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also the basis for technologies such as induction cooking, wireless charging, and magnetic levitation.

5. Are there any limitations to the Faraday-Lenz equation?

The Faraday-Lenz equation does not hold true in all cases, as it is based on certain assumptions such as a uniform magnetic field and a closed loop. In some situations, more complex equations, such as the Maxwell-Faraday equation, are needed to accurately describe electromagnetic induction.