Silvaco Atlas Syntax question - area from curve

In summary, the code provided includes a solve command, followed by a save command that saves the solution in a file named "ganfetex01_$'index'.str". The first EXTRACT statement creates its own data to work with from the saved file, and the second EXTRACT statement integrates the electron concentration from x=0 to x=0.5 and saves this value in a variable named "2DEG". The purpose of the impurity in "impurity="Electron Conc"" is to specify the type of impurity being integrated. To integrate over (y=0, y=0.5) along the cutline x=0.5, the code would need to be modified. The integration result "
GaNHEMT
I have a several questions on the following block of codes taken from ganfetex01_aux.in:

Code:
solve
save outf="ganfetex01_$'index'.str"
extract init inf="ganfetex01_$'index'.str"
extract name="2DEG" 1e-4 * area from curve (depth, impurity="Electron Conc" material="All" mat.occno=1 x.val=0.5) \
                         where x.min=0 and x.max=0.5 outfile="extract.dat"

My understanding is that this code saves the solution in a file named "ganfetex01_$'index'.str", then the first EXTRACT statement create its own data to work with from the saved file. The second EXTRACT statement integrates the electron concentration from x=0 to x=0.5, and save this value in a variable named "2DEG".

Questions:
1. My understanding is that x.val sets the cutline, and the integration is over (x.min=0, x.max=0.5). Is that correct? I am confused since x.val would set the cutline along the y direction, but the integration is over the ranges of x. Shouldn't the integration be over the range of y values? Where is this exactly integrating?

2. What should I do if I want to integrate over (y=0, y=0.5) along the cutline x=0.5?

3. what is the purpose of impurity in "impurity="Electron Conc"? I get that it is integrating the electron concentration, but why impurity=?

4. Where can I check the integration result "2DEG"? I thought this would be saved in "extract.dat", but "extract.dat" file saves electron concentration vs. Depth information. For example, Electron Conc vs Depth 0 4e-7 0.0025 4e3 0.005 2e19 . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Try the Silvaco site.
click on the search icon at right end of the red banner
enter: user manual
if you get a drop-down with just a few results, click the last line of the dropdown, that should get you a list of over 200 search results

Have Fun!
Tom

Likes GaNHEMT and berkeman

1. What is Silvaco Atlas Syntax?

Silvaco Atlas Syntax is a software tool used for device simulation in the field of microelectronics. It allows users to model and analyze the behavior of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes, under various conditions.

2. What is the purpose of the "area from curve" command in Silvaco Atlas Syntax?

The "area from curve" command is used to calculate the area under a curve in a device simulation. This can be useful for determining important device characteristics, such as capacitance or resistance.

3. How do I use the "area from curve" command in Silvaco Atlas Syntax?

To use the "area from curve" command, you must first define a curve in your device simulation. This can be done using the "plot" command. Once the curve is defined, you can use the "area from curve" command to calculate the area under the curve for specific regions of interest.

4. Can the "area from curve" command be used for any type of curve?

Yes, the "area from curve" command can be used for any type of curve defined in a Silvaco Atlas Syntax simulation. This includes curves representing device characteristics, such as current-voltage curves, as well as curves representing physical quantities, such as electric field or temperature.

5. Are there any limitations to using the "area from curve" command in Silvaco Atlas Syntax?

One limitation of the "area from curve" command is that it can only calculate the area under a curve for 2-dimensional simulations. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculated area may be affected by the resolution of the simulation grid and the complexity of the curve being analyzed.