Integral Question: Areas between curves?

It looks like you should be integrating with respect to y, and the region is bounded by y=4cosx, y=6sin2x, and x=0. So in summary, the task is to sketch and integrate the region in the first quadrant bounded by y=4cosx, y=6sin2x, and x=0, and to find the area of the region. The correct method is to integrate with respect to y, and the intersections to consider are y=0 and y=4cosx.
baquid

Homework Statement

Sketch the region in the first quadrant enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.
y=4cosx, y=6sin2x, x=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the intersections, which are x=pi/2, arcsin1/3 as well as x=0 but I seem to keep getting 10/3, which is not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
baquid said:

Homework Statement

Sketch the region in the first quadrant enclosed by the given curves. Decide whether to integrate with respect to x or y. Then find the area of the region.
y=4cosx, y=6sin2x, x=0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the intersections, which are x=pi/2, arcsin1/3 as well as x=0 but I seem to keep getting 10/3, which is not the right answer.

You should really show more of your work if you expect people to understand what region you are integrating over, but I think you are integrating over the wrong region. x=0 is the y-axis, and I don't see how the intersection at x=pi/2 is relevant.

1. What is the definition of "integral question: areas between curves"?

The integral question of areas between curves is a mathematical concept in which the area between two curves is calculated using integration techniques. It is an important concept in calculus and is used to solve various real-world problems.

2. How do you find the area between two curves?

To find the area between two curves, you need to first find the points of intersection of the two curves. Then, you can use integration to find the area between these points. The integral of the function that represents the difference between the two curves will give you the desired area.

3. What is the importance of "integral question: areas between curves" in real-life applications?

The concept of integral question: areas between curves is used to solve various real-life problems, such as determining the volume of irregular shapes, finding the area under a curve for statistical analysis, and calculating work done in physics. It also has applications in engineering, finance, and economics.

4. What are the different methods used to solve "integral question: areas between curves"?

There are two main methods used to solve integral question: areas between curves - the Riemann sum method and the Trapezoid rule method. The Riemann sum method involves dividing the area into smaller rectangles and calculating their individual areas, while the Trapezoid rule method approximates the area using trapezoids.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving "integral question: areas between curves"?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to include the negative sign when integrating the function representing the difference between the two curves. Another mistake is not properly identifying the points of intersection of the curves, which can lead to incorrect results. It is also important to carefully choose the limits of integration to get an accurate result.