Silvaco TCAD issue: About user-defined material

In summary, the conversation discusses issues with a device structure that contains a self-defined material region. When the structure is imported to another file, a warning is displayed, suggesting that the material region may not have been properly defined or enclosed in the mesh elements. The user is advised to check the parameters and structure, and if the issue persists, to report it to the software vendor with more detail.
rick wong
TL;DR Summary
I failed to define a user-material region when i tried to perform circuit simulation with Mixedmode...
I built a structure which contained a self-defined material region, using the codes:
1651234601272.png

When the device structure was set up, it showed the user-material right, like:
1651234319487.png

but when i imported the device structure to another .in file, it warns:
1651234542765.png

Does anyone know what is wrong ?

Attachments

• 1651234401371.png
    1651234401371.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 68
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It looks like the user-defined material region has not been properly defined in the device structure. It is possible that the material is not properly defined in the .in file or that the parameters are incorrect. It is also possible that the material region is not properly defined in the mesh, i.e. that it is not properly enclosed by mesh elements.If you are sure that the material region is properly defined in the structure and that the parameters and mesh are correct, then please report the error with more detail to the software vendor.

1. What is Silvaco TCAD and why is it used?

Silvaco TCAD (Technology Computer-Aided Design) is a software tool used for simulating and analyzing semiconductor devices. It is commonly used in the semiconductor industry for research, development, and design of integrated circuits.

2. What is a user-defined material in Silvaco TCAD?

A user-defined material in Silvaco TCAD is a material that is not included in the default material library. It allows users to define and simulate the properties of new materials that are not available in the software's pre-defined material database.

3. How do I define a user-defined material in Silvaco TCAD?

To define a user-defined material in Silvaco TCAD, you can use the Material Designer tool. This tool allows you to specify the material's properties, such as bandgap, effective mass, and density, and create a new material file that can be used in simulations.

4. Can I import material data from external sources for a user-defined material?

Yes, you can import material data from external sources, such as experimental data or theoretical models, to define a user-defined material in Silvaco TCAD. This can be done by using the Material Designer tool or by directly editing the material file in a text editor.

5. Are there any limitations when using user-defined materials in Silvaco TCAD?

While user-defined materials offer flexibility in simulating new materials, there are some limitations to consider. These include the accuracy of the material properties, compatibility with the simulation models, and the computational resources required for simulations. It is important to validate the results and carefully select the appropriate models and parameters when using user-defined materials in Silvaco TCAD.