Simple Circuit with Two Sources

In summary, the conversation discusses using KCL and KVL to solve a circuit with multiple sources and resistors. The equations for current and voltage are presented, and the solutions are found to be 1mA for all currents. The question is raised about the relevance of the source on the right, and it is determined that it is not necessary for the circuit as drawn. There is a suggestion that one could have predicted this from the start, but it is difficult to say for sure.
showzen

Homework Statement

?temp_hash=e298719b1bd60125819ef5e8fa99afe5.jpg

Homework Equations

KCL and KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

The sum of the currents at the top node equals the current out through the middle
(Call ##I_1## the current from the left and ##I_2## the right)

##I_3 = I_1+I_2##

And the sum of the voltages around the loops equals 0.

##-I_3(4k)-I_1(6k) + 10V = 0##

##-I_3(4k) + 4V = 0##

The system of equations yields solutions
##I_3 = 1mA##
##I_1 = 1mA##
##I_2 = 0##

Now, it appears that either I made a mistake, or there is zero current going through the source on the right. Is it logical to conclude that the source on the right is irrelevant to the circuit?

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
No mistake. Well, irrelevant to the circuit as drawn, yes; if other components were added it would likely come into play.

Could I have predicted this from the start, and crossed off the right side source, and solved for just a single source with series resistors?

showzen said:
Could I have predicted this from the start, and crossed off the right side source, and solved for just a single source with series resistors?
That's difficult to say.

You might have noticed that removing the right side source & leaving that branch open would give a simple series circuit with the voltage across the 4kΩ resistor being 4 Volts.

That's not something one would normally look for.

Hindsight is wonderful.

1. What is a simple circuit with two sources?

A simple circuit with two sources is an electrical circuit that has two power sources connected in a loop. It is also known as a parallel circuit and is commonly used in household wiring and electronic devices.

2. How does a simple circuit with two sources work?

In a simple circuit with two sources, the current flows through both sources simultaneously, providing a continuous flow of electricity. The two sources can be connected in series or parallel, depending on the desired outcome.

3. What are the advantages of a simple circuit with two sources?

One advantage of a simple circuit with two sources is that it allows for redundancy in case one source fails, ensuring that the circuit remains functional. It also allows for increased power output and greater control over the circuit's voltage and current.

4. What are the components of a simple circuit with two sources?

The main components of a simple circuit with two sources include the power sources, which can be batteries or AC power supply, and the load, which is the device that uses the electricity. Other components may include wires, switches, and resistors.

5. What are some common applications of a simple circuit with two sources?

A simple circuit with two sources is commonly used in household wiring, electronic devices, and power distribution systems. It is also used in automobiles, where the battery and alternator act as the two sources, providing power to the different electrical components of a car.