Simple demonstration with real, rational and integers

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the existence of a number ##m## that satisfies the inequality ##\alpha - \frac{m}{n} \leq \frac{1}{2n}## for any given ##\alpha## and ##n##. The approach is to rearrange the inequality and choose an appropriate ##m##, such as the integer part of ##\alpha \cdot n##. The conversation also mentions that the choice of ##m## does not need to be as close as possible, as long as it satisfies the condition.
Bestfrog

Homework Statement

Let ##\alpha \in \mathbb{R}## and ##n \in \mathbb{N}##. Show that exists a number ##m \in \mathbb{Z}## such that ##\alpha - \frac {m}{n} \leq \frac{1}{2n}## (1).

The Attempt at a Solution

If I take ##\alpha= [\alpha] +(\alpha)## with ##[\alpha]=m## (=the integer part) and ##(\alpha)=\frac{1}{2n}##(=the fractional part) I must have an equality in (1). Substituting, I obtain ##m(n-1)=0## and for ##n=1## I can always find a solution to the problem. Is this demonstration correct? How can I find a more general one?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to be it states: given any alpha & n, can you always find an m which satisfies it. I don't think you choose alpha in advance.

I'm not sure what you've done there. The usual approach is to take the inequality ##\alpha -\frac{m}{n} \leq \frac{1}{2n}## and transform it until we get a condition on ##m##. That is ##m## on one side, the rest on the other. Now chose an ##m## which always satisfies this condition and write all steps from there on backwards to the condition you want to prove. Since ##\alpha## and ##n## are given, we only need a small enough or big enough ##m## to be chosen.

Long explanation short: Don't bother about the choice of ##m## as long as you don't know what it has to provide.

Likes Bestfrog and scottdave
Thanks for the reply.
So, rearranging I have ##m \geq \alpha n - \frac{1}{2}##.

Now I have to choose m. I tried different values of ##\alpha ,n## and it seems that the right choice of m is ## m=\lfloor{\alpha \cdot n}\rfloor## (=integer part).

Don't bother ##\alpha## and ##n##. They are given and cannot be chosen. Only ##m## is up to your choice. And don't try to estimate as close as possible, there is no need to do so. It won't be rewarded in this example. The situation is a different one, if you try to estimate numerical calculations or the length of algorithms, but here it isn't needed. I took ##m=\lceil \alpha \cdot n \rceil## so I saved an additional thought on what happens at exactly a difference of ##0.5##. You could even chose ##m=10\cdot |\alpha n|##, it won't matter here.

Anyway, it is correct. Now you have to write down ##m = \lceil \alpha n \rceil \geq \alpha n \geq \alpha n - \frac{1}{2} \Rightarrow \ldots ## and so on, until the last line is ##\alpha -\frac{m}{n} \leq \frac{1}{2n}\,##.

Likes scottdave and Bestfrog

1. What is a simple demonstration with real, rational, and integers?

A simple demonstration with real, rational, and integers is a mathematical exercise that involves using numbers from the real number system, rational numbers, and integers to prove a concept or solve a problem. It allows for a visual representation of how these different types of numbers interact with each other.

2. How do you perform a simple demonstration with real, rational, and integers?

To perform a simple demonstration with real, rational, and integers, you will need to choose a specific concept or problem to solve. Then, you can use a combination of real numbers, rational numbers, and integers to create an equation or diagram that illustrates the concept or solves the problem.

3. What is the importance of using real, rational, and integers in a simple demonstration?

Using real, rational, and integers in a simple demonstration allows for a comprehensive understanding of how these numbers work together and their relationship to each other. It also helps to develop critical thinking skills and problem-solving abilities.

4. Can you provide an example of a simple demonstration with real, rational, and integers?

One example of a simple demonstration with real, rational, and integers is showing how to add and subtract fractions with different denominators. By using real numbers, rational numbers, and integers, you can visually see how the fractions are added or subtracted and arrive at the correct answer.

5. How can a simple demonstration with real, rational, and integers be applied in everyday life?

A simple demonstration with real, rational, and integers can be applied in everyday life by helping to understand financial concepts such as interest rates, budgeting, and loans. It can also be used to solve real-life problems, such as calculating discounts or finding the best deal when shopping.