Simple diophantine: solutions to x^2-x=y^3

• Thread starter spacetimedude
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find all solutions for the Diophantine equation x^2-x=y^3, with x and y being integers. The solution involves using the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic and examining possible values for x and x-1 being cubes. The conversation also extends to a similar problem involving the equation 4x^2=y^3+1. It is determined that the only solution for this problem is x=0, and the conversation also addresses the question of whether x-1 is always smaller than x.
spacetimedude

Homework Statement

Find all solutions x,y∈ℤ to the following Diophantine equation:
x^2-x=y^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello. I am stuck in the last part of finding the solutions.
I rearranged x^2-x=y^3 into x(x-1)=y^3. The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic tells that since x and x-1 are coprime, and the multiple of the two is a cube, x and x-1 themselves have to be cubes.
Note that the difference of the two is 1.
Hence, looking through the list of possible cubes, ...-8, -1,0,1,8... we can see that the cubes with difference of 1 are -1 and 0, and 0 and 1.

My question arises here.
Do I set (x-1) and x equal to the two pairs?

So Pair 1:
(x-1)=-1 =>x=0
x=0

and

Pair 2:
(x-1)=0 => x=1
x=1.

Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. You get two answers: x,y = 1, 0 and x,y = 0,0. Pretty boring.

Thank you. I am still a bit confused.
How do we know if x-1 corresponds to the smaller value of the cube and x the higher value? Can we just say x-1 is always smaller than x?

There is another similar problem: 4x^2=y^3+1

Rearranging the equation:
y^3=(2x+1)(2x-1)
(2x+1) and (2x-1) are coprime and their difference is 2.
Looking at the list of possible cubes, the two cubes that are different by 2 are 1 and -1.

So then,
(2x+1)=1 =>x=0
(2x-1)=-1 =>x=0

But can we also do
(2x+1)=-1 => x=-1
(2x-1)=1 => x=1.

So the possible solutions are x=-1 ,x=1, and x=0 (and y's accordingly)? The textbook I'm using says the only solution is x=0.

Can we just say x-1 is always smaller than x?
Yes we can: ##-1 < 0 \quad \Rightarrow \quad -1 + x < x ##.

Re the other exercise (a thread extension, but never mind: same difference):
Temporarily replace (2x+1) by a and (2x-1) by b.

a and b have to be cubes AND differ by two. There are two cubes that differ by two: -1 and +1.

First case: a = 1 & b = -1
Try to solve (2x+1) = 1 & (2x-1) = -1
Solution: x = 0. Answer to the exercise: x,y = 0, -1

Second case: a = -1 & b = 1
Try to solve (2x+1) = -1 & (2x-1) = 1
No solution !Point is that your "But can we also do" does not lead to x = 1 OR x = -1 but to "No value for x that satisfies (2x+1) = -1 AND (2x-1) = 1 "

Likes spacetimedude
Thank you! I understand perfectly now.

What is a diophantine equation?

A diophantine equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves two or more unknown variables and only integer coefficients. The goal is to find integer solutions for the variables that satisfy the equation.

What is a simple diophantine equation?

A simple diophantine equation is a diophantine equation that only involves two unknown variables and does not have any higher powers or complex terms. In other words, it can be written in the form of ax + by = c, where a, b, and c are integers.

What is the difference between a diophantine equation and a regular algebraic equation?

The main difference is that diophantine equations only have integer solutions, while regular algebraic equations can have solutions in any form (e.g. fractions or decimals). Additionally, diophantine equations often involve more than one unknown variable.

What are some common strategies for solving simple diophantine equations?

Some common strategies include using substitution, factoring, and modular arithmetic. It is also helpful to look for patterns and relationships between the coefficients and variables in order to find solutions.

Why are diophantine equations important?

Diophantine equations are important because they have real-world applications in diverse fields such as computer science, cryptography, and number theory. They also help to develop problem-solving skills and logical thinking in mathematics.