Simple Harmonic Motion question (Need clarification)

In summary: I used the equation a(t) = -ω2A and plugged in the values given in the question, ω = 5π and A = 0.011 m to get a(0) = -2.71 m/s2.For the second question, to find the equation for the position as a function of time, I used the general formula for SHM x(t) = Acos(ωt+Φ) and plugged in the values given in the question, A = 0.0146 and ω = 15.7 rad/s, to get x(t) = (0.0146)cos[(15.7 rad/s)t
Augustine Duran

Homework Statement

The point of the needle of a sewing machine moves in SHM along the x-axis with a frequency of 2.5 Hz. At t=0 its position and velocity components are +1.1 cm and -15 cm/s, respectively.
(a) Find the acceleration component of the needle at t=0
(b) write an equation giving the position at the point as a function of time.

I just want to state that I already know the answers, my question is concerning the value of the Amplitude in both (a) and (b).

My first question:
So for part (a) the answer for acceleration is -2.71 m/s2. This is found by using the equation

a(t) = -ω2A = -2.71 m/s2

where ω = 5π and A = 0.011 m. Why is the amplitude 0.011m? In the question it states that at t=0 its at a certain position , 1.1cm, with a negative velocity, if it has a velocity then its not at rest, and if its not at rest that means its not at its max position away from the equilibrium point, which from what I understand is defined as the Amplitude. So why is 1.1 cm used as the amplitude in this case?

My 2nd question

In part (b) the answer for the position equation is:

x(t) = (0.0146)cos[(15.7 rad/s)t + 0.715 rad]

So in this case A = 0.0146. This is found by using the equation

A = [xo2 + vo22]½

So why does this have a different Amplitude from in part (a). Should the value for A be the same in both cases?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got the wrong equation to consider. The correct equation is a(t) = -ω2x(t). If the acceleration were -ω2A, it would be constant, would it not? You are confusing instantaneous position x(t) with amplitude A. One depends on time, the other does not.

Augustine Duran said:

Homework Statement

The point of the needle of a sewing machine moves in SHM along the x-axis with a frequency of 2.5 Hz. At t=0 its position and velocity components are +1.1 cm and -15 cm/s, respectively.
(a) Find the acceleration component of the needle at t=0
(b) write an equation giving the position at the point as a function of time.

I just want to state that I already know the answers, my question is concerning the value of the Amplitude in both (a) and (b).

My first question:
So for part (a) the answer for acceleration is -2.71 m/s2. This is found by using the equation

a(t) = -ω2A = -2.71 m/s2

where ω = 5π and A = 0.011 m. Why is the amplitude 0.011m? In the question it states that at t=0 its at a certain position , 1.1cm, with a negative velocity, if it has a velocity then its not at rest, and if its not at rest that means its not at its max position away from the equilibrium point, which from what I understand is defined as the Amplitude. So why is 1.1 cm used as the amplitude in this case?

My 2nd question

In part (b) the answer for the position equation is:

So in this case A = 0.0146. This is found by using the equation

A = [xo2 + vo22]½

So why does this have a different Amplitude from in part (a). Should the value for A be the same in both cases?

Yes, the amplitude A should be the same for both questions (a) and (b). How do you know that the value of the acceleration was calculated using A=1.1 cm? By the way, a(0)=-2.71 m/s2 is correct.

kuruman said:
You got the wrong equation to consider. The correct equation is a(t) = -ω2x(t). If the acceleration were -ω2A, it would be constant, would it not? You are confusing instantaneous position x(t) with amplitude A. One depends on time, the other does not.

Okay looking through my book again I see that they subtly mention the equation a(t) = -ω2x(t). Okay so x(t) in that equation would equal to:

x(t) = Acos(ωt), correct?

Augustine Duran said:
x(t) = Acos(ωt), correct?
Incorrect. The expression you quoted predicts that at t = 0 the needle is at maximum displacement. You need to find an equation that puts the needle at 1.1 cm with velocity -15 cm/s when t = 0.

sry I am at a loss here. the only equation i can find that relates velocity and position is Vo/xo = -ωtanΦ

The general form of SHM displacement is x(t)=Acos(ωt+Φ). What is the velocity then?

• Love
Likes malawi_glenn
Augustine Duran said:
sry I am at a loss here. the only equation i can find that relates velocity and position is Vo/xo = -ωtanΦ
What a meant was find an equation for the position and use it to find an equation for the velocity. SOrry if I confused you.
Augustine Duran said:
You found the above equation but it does not quite do it. Plug in and you will see. You need to fix it. Knowing the position as a function of time allows you to find everything else as a function of time. However, for part (a) you can use a(0) = -ω2 x(0) directly.

ehild said:
The general form of SHM displacement is x(t)=Acos(ωt+Φ). What is the velocity then?

v(t) = -ωAcos(ωt+Φ)

kuruman said:
What a meant was find an equation for the position and use it to find an equation for the velocity. SOrry if I confused you.

You found the above equation but it does not quite do it. Plug in and you will see. You need to fix it. Knowing the position as a function of time allows you to find everything else as a function of time. However, for part (a) you can use a(0) = -ω2 x(0) directly.

i plugged it in and got 0.011m

Sorry, I was incorrect when I said the equation does not quite do it. It is correct. So, can you answer questions (a) and (b) now? Is there something you still don't understand?

well here's what i initially tried to do. (hopefully I am not being too redundant here)

When it asked me to find the acceleration component i immediately thought about using,
a(t) = -ω2Acos(ωt+Φ)
from there i would set Φ=0 and use the equation A = (xo2+vo22)½ to find A giving me a(t) = -ω2A . I would just then plug in my values for A and ω, but i got the answer wrong

i guess if you could explain one more time the difference between the equation i used here, and the equation you gave me which was a(t) = -ω2x

Augustine Duran said:
i guess if you could explain one more time the difference between the equation i used here, and the equation you gave me which was a(t) = -ω2x
Start with the general form: ##x(t)=A\cos(\omega t+\varphi)##
1. Take the derivative to find the velocity: ##v(t) = -\omega A sin((\omega t+\varphi)##
2. Take the derivative once more to find the acceleration: ##a(t) = -\omega^2 A cos((\omega t+\varphi)##
3. Note that from the general form this can be written as ##a(t) = -\omega^2 x(t)##

The hallmark of SHM is that the acceleration is always proportional to the displacement, the constant of proportionality being the negative of the frequency squared.

ok i think i see it now

x was already defined at 1.1cm at t=0 so , Acos(ωt+Φ) = 1.1cm and substitute into a(t) = -ω2Acos(ωt+Φ)

That also makes sense that its proportional to the displacement considering there's no force at the equilibrium point x=0 then a=0. units check out also.

thanks for your patience i appreciate it

Augustine Duran said:
x was already defined at 1.1cm at t=0 so , Acos(ωt+Φ) = 1.1cm and substitute into a(t) = -ω2Acos(ωt+Φ)
Just for completeness, I should add that defining x(0) = 1.1 cm is not enough because the oscillator could be moving either away from the origin (positive velocity) or towards the origin (negative velocity.) You need the additional information that v(0) = -15 cm/s to specify the needed parameters. This allows setting up a system of two equations and two unknowns, the unknowns being A and Φ.

Augustine Duran said:
ok i think i see it now

The equation in red is wrong. The left-hand side depends on time, it is not equal to a single value.
Correctly, x(0) = 1.1 cm and v(0)=-15 cm/s means Acos(Φ) = 1.1cm and -Aω sin(Φ) = -15 cm/s. Dividing the two equations you get tan(Φ)=v0/(x(0)ω).

Augustine Duran said:
well here's what i initially tried to do. (hopefully I am not being too redundant here)

When it asked me to find the acceleration component i immediately thought about using,
a(t) = -ω2Acos(ωt+Φ)
from there i would set Φ=0 and use the equation A = (xo2+vo22)½ to find A giving me a(t) = -ω2A . I would just then plug in my values for A and ω, but i got the answer wrong

Hi where do you get the equation for amplitude from? Cheers.

naMuRaS said:
Hi where do you get the equation for amplitude from? Cheers.
Please note that this thread is more than 5 years old and that @Augustine Duran has not been seen here since Mar. 30 2019. It is unlikely that you will get a response to your query, I am sorry to say. I cannot speak for Augustine, but I would hazard a guess and say that he got the amplitude by starting from the harmonic solution ##x(t)=A\cos(\omega t+\phi)##. Then he took the time derivative to get ##v(t)=-\omega A\sin(\omega t+\phi).## Then he said, $$\begin{align} & x(0)=x_0=A\cos\phi \implies A\cos\phi=x_0 \nonumber \\ & v(0)=v_0=-\omega A \sin\phi \implies A\sin\phi=-\frac{v_0}{\omega} \nonumber\end{align}$$ Then, being a clever chap, he thought "why don't I square both sides and add the equations?"$$\begin{align} & A^2\cos^2\phi +A^2\sin^2\phi=x_0^2+\left(-\frac{v_0}{\omega}\right)^2 \nonumber \\
& A^2=x_0^2+\frac{v_0^2}{\omega^2}\implies A=\left(x_0^2+\frac{v_0^2}{\omega^2}\right)^{1/2}
\nonumber\end{align}$$ Cheers to you, too.

Likes naMuRaS, SammyS and hutchphd
kuruman said:
Please note that this thread is more than 5 years old and that @Augustine Duran has not been seen here since Mar. 30 2019. It is unlikely that you will get a response to your query, I am sorry to say. I cannot speak for Augustine, but I would hazard a guess and say that he got the amplitude by starting from the harmonic solution ##x(t)=A\cos(\omega t+\phi)##. Then he took the time derivative to get ##v(t)=-\omega A\sin(\omega t+\phi).## Then he said, $$\begin{align} & x(0)=x_0=A\cos\phi \implies A\cos\phi=x_0 \nonumber \\ & v(0)=v_0=-\omega A \sin\phi \implies A\sin\phi=-\frac{v_0}{\omega} \nonumber\end{align}$$ Then, being a clever chap, he thought "why don't I square both sides and add the equations?"$$\begin{align} & A^2\cos^2\phi +A^2\sin^2\phi=x_0^2+\left(-\frac{v_0}{\omega}\right)^2 \nonumber \\
& A^2=x_0^2+\frac{v_0^2}{\omega^2}\implies A=\left(x_0^2+\frac{v_0^2}{\omega^2}\right)^{1/2}
\nonumber\end{align}$$ Cheers to you, too.
Genius. Thanksss.

Note that this is a standard technique, whenever you have ##\cos \phi = \alpha## and ##\sin \phi = \beta## one should immediatly think "let's use ##\cos^2 \phi + \sin^2 \phi = 1##" and thus get ## \alpha^2 + \beta^2 = 1 ##

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and period. It is often described as a "swinging" motion and can be seen in many natural systems, such as a pendulum or a mass on a spring.

2. How is Simple Harmonic Motion different from other types of motion?

Unlike other types of motion, such as linear or circular motion, SHM is characterized by its constant amplitude and period. This means that the object's displacement from the equilibrium point and the time it takes to complete one full cycle of motion remain the same throughout the motion.

3. What factors affect the period of Simple Harmonic Motion?

The period of SHM is affected by two main factors: the mass of the object and the force constant of the system. A larger mass or a smaller force constant will result in a longer period, while a smaller mass or a larger force constant will result in a shorter period.

4. How is Simple Harmonic Motion related to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium point. This relationship is at the core of SHM, as the force exerted by a spring on an object causes it to oscillate back and forth around the equilibrium point.

5. What are some real-life examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion can be observed in various natural and man-made systems, such as the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a mass on a spring, the vibrations of a guitar string, and the movement of a car's suspension system. It is also seen in the behavior of waves, such as sound waves and water waves.