Simple Harmonic Motion with Rotational Inertia

In summary, a light spring with a constant k force is attached to a vertical wall and a light string is tied to the other end. The string changes from horizontal to vertical as it passes over a pulley with a mass M. The pulley is free to turn on a fixed axle and the object is pulled downward a small distance and released. The angular frequency of oscillation of the object is determined by the mass M and the spring constant k. The highest possible angular frequency of oscillation of the object is found when the mass M is exactly 200g.
Vanessa Le

Homework Statement

One end of a light spring with force constant k = 100 N/m is attached to a vertical wall. A light string is tied to the other end of the horizontal spring. the string changes from horizontal to vertical as it passes over a pulley of mass M in the shape of a solid disk of radius R = 2.00 cm. The
pulley is free to turn on a fixed, smooth axle. The vertical section of the string supports an object of mass m = 200 g. The string does not slip at its contact with the pulley. The object is pulled downward a small distance and released.

(a) What is the angular
frequency v of oscillation
of the object in terms of
the mass M?

(b)What
is the highest possible
value of the angular frequency
of oscillation of the object?

2. Homework Equations

w=(k/m)exp1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly do not know where to start... For a), wouldn't you simply use the w=(k/m)exp1/2 formula since the angular frequency only depends on the mass and the spring contsant?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Vanessa Le said:

Homework Statement

One end of a light spring with force constant k = 100 N/m is attached to a vertical wall. A light string is tied to the other end of the horizontal spring. the string changes from horizontal to vertical as it passes over a pulley of mass M in the shape of a solid disk of radius R = 2.00 cm. The
pulley is free to turn on a fixed, smooth axle. The vertical section of the string supports an object of mass m = 200 g. The string does not slip at its contact with the pulley. The object is pulled downward a small distance and released.

(a) What is the angular
frequency v of oscillation
of the object in terms of
the mass M?

(b)What
is the highest possible
value of the angular frequency
of oscillation of the object?

2. Homework Equations [/B]

w=(k/m)exp1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly do not know where to start... For a), wouldn't you simply use the w=(k/m)exp1/2 formula since the angular frequency only depends on the mass and the spring contsant?
Do you think that the mass of the pulley does not affect the angular frequency?

ehild said:
Do you think that the mass of the pulley does not affect the angular frequency?
In the problem, it stated that the pulley had a mass M with Radius = 2.00cm so I am assuming the mass of the pulley does matter, which lead me to thinking that the mass used in the w=(k/m)exp1/2 equation is in fact m = mass of object + mass of pulley.

I tried finding the mass of the pulley using the moment of inertia formula before realizing that I'd actually need the pulley mass for that too..

Vanessa Le said:
In the problem, it stated that the pulley had a mass M with Radius = 2.00cm so I am assuming the mass of the pulley does matter, which lead me to thinking that the mass used in the w=(k/m)exp1/2 equation is in fact m = mass of object + mass of pulley.

I tried finding the mass of the pulley using the moment of inertia formula before realizing that I'd actually need the pulley mass for that too..
The mass of the pulley does matter. It is M which can have different values. Solve the problem in terms of M and k. Write the acceleration of m with the forces acting on it and the angular acceleration of M with the angular momenta of the forces acting on it. What are those forces?

What would I use to find the M mass of the pulley? I've tried moment of inertia and that doesn't work because you need the mass for I=MR^2.

Vanessa Le said:
What would I use to find the M mass of the pulley? I've tried moment of inertia and that doesn't work because you need the mass for I=MR^2.
You can not find M. It is arbitrary. Find the frequency in terms of M.

Draw the free-body diagram for m and M. What forces act on m, and at the rim of the disk? How is the acceleration of m related to these forces? How is the angular acceleration of the disk related to the torque of the forces acting at its rim?
upload_2016-8-29_14-49-8.png

1. What is simple harmonic motion with rotational inertia?

Simple harmonic motion with rotational inertia is a type of motion where an object rotates around a fixed axis in a repetitive pattern, similar to how a pendulum swings back and forth. This motion is caused by a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring, and is characterized by a constant period and amplitude.

2. How does rotational inertia affect simple harmonic motion?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. In simple harmonic motion, rotational inertia determines the period of the motion, with larger rotational inertia resulting in a longer period and smaller rotational inertia resulting in a shorter period.

3. What is the relationship between rotational inertia and mass in simple harmonic motion?

The rotational inertia of an object is directly proportional to its mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This means that a larger mass or a larger distance from the axis of rotation will result in a larger rotational inertia, and consequently, a longer period of simple harmonic motion.

4. Can the period of simple harmonic motion with rotational inertia be changed?

Yes, the period of simple harmonic motion with rotational inertia can be changed by altering the rotational inertia of the object. This can be done by changing the mass or the distance from the axis of rotation of the object. Additionally, the period can also be changed by changing the restoring force acting on the object.

5. What are some examples of simple harmonic motion with rotational inertia?

Some examples of simple harmonic motion with rotational inertia include a pendulum, a swinging door, a spinning top, and a gyroscope. These objects all have a fixed axis of rotation and are subject to a restoring force that causes them to oscillate back and forth or rotate in a repetitive pattern.