Simple inductance question: Finding steady state current

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of inductors and their relationship to changes in current. The solution for a problem involving current splitting evenly between two paths is due to the assumption that the inductor has no resistance. The potential difference across the inductor goes to zero as the rate of change of current goes to zero, and this is because inductors react to changes in current by producing an EMF to counter the change. The potential difference across the inductor will be zero for a constant current.
alexdr5398

Homework Statement

n61jULN.jpg

Homework Equations

I = E / R_total

The Attempt at a Solution

I mostly just want to clarify that my thinking is correct. The solution for this problem shows that the current is split evenly between the two paths. Is that because we're assuming that the inductor has no resistance? So since both paths have resistance R, they both draw the same current?

Also, the solution states that the potential different across the inductor goes to zero as dI/dt goes to zero. Why does the current through L not also go to zero? Since:

I_L = E_L / R = 0 / R = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
alexdr5398 said:
I mostly just want to clarify that my thinking is correct. The solution for this problem shows that the current is split evenly between the two paths. Is that because we're assuming that the inductor has no resistance?
Yes.
So since both paths have resistance R, they both draw the same current?
Yes. To be more pedantically correct, they both pass or conduct the same current since they share the same potential difference and have the same resistance.
Also, the solution states that the potential different across the inductor goes to zero as dI/dt goes to zero. Why does the current through L not also go to zero? Since:

I_L = E_L / R = 0 / R = 0
As you've stated, the inductor does not have resistance, and certainly not a value of R. Also, E_L is across the inductor only, it doesn't include the series connected resistor that shares its path. that resistance will have its own potential difference due to the current flowing through it.

Thank you, that makes sense.
gneill said:
Also, E_L is across the inductor only, it doesn't include the series connected resistor that shares its path.

I don't really understand what inductors are or how they work very well. I just know that they have something to do with changes in current. Is the solution stating that because dI/dt goes to zero, the potential difference across the inductor goes to zero? Or just that both of them go to zero?

alexdr5398 said:
Thank you, that makes sense.I don't really understand what inductors are or how they work very well. I just know that they have something to do with changes in current. Is the solution stating that because dI/dt goes to zero, the potential difference across the inductor goes to zero? Or just that both of them go to zero?
Inductors react to a change in current by producing an EMF that tries to counter the change. That's what the equation ##E = -L~dI/dt## is saying. The analogy in mechanics is that of a mass that resists a change in velocity thanks to inertia, thus the so-called "inertial force" that makes up the Newton's third law reaction force. The formula there is ##F = -M~dV/dt##.

When the current through an inductor is constant so that dI/dt is zero there is no EMF produced. The potential difference across that inductor will be zero for any given constant current. So the two things, zero EMF and zero dI/dt are intimately related. The solution is stating that because dI/dt goes to zero, the potential difference across the inductor goes to zero, as you have written.

Likes alexdr5398
gneill said:
Inductors react to a change in current by producing an EMF that tries to counter the change. That's what the equation ##E = -L~dI/dt## is saying. The analogy in mechanics is that of a mass that resists a change in velocity thanks to inertia, thus the so-called "inertial force" that makes up the Newton's third law reaction force. The formula there is ##F = -M~dV/dt##.

When the current through an inductor is constant so that dI/dt is zero there is no EMF produced. The potential difference across that inductor will be zero for any given constant current. So the two things, zero EMF and zero dI/dt are intimately related. The solution is stating that because dI/dt goes to zero, the potential difference across the inductor goes to zero, as you have written.

Alright, I understand now, thank you!

1. What is simple inductance?

Simple inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes its ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is typically represented by the symbol L and is measured in units of Henrys (H).

2. How is simple inductance calculated?

Simple inductance can be calculated using the formula L = NΦ/I, where N is the number of turns in the coil, Φ is the magnetic flux through the coil, and I is the current passing through the coil.

3. What is steady state current?

Steady state current is the amount of current that flows through a circuit after the circuit has been operating for a long enough time to reach a stable state. In other words, it is the current that remains constant after any transient effects have dissipated.

4. How do you find steady state current in a simple inductance circuit?

To find the steady state current in a simple inductance circuit, you can use Ohm's law (I = V/R) and the formula for inductive reactance (XL = 2πfL). First, calculate the inductive reactance of the coil. Then, use Ohm's law to calculate the current by dividing the voltage by the total impedance (Z = R + XL) of the circuit.

5. What factors affect simple inductance and steady state current?

The main factors that affect simple inductance and steady state current are the number of turns in the coil, the magnetic flux through the coil, the frequency of the current, and the resistance of the circuit. Increasing the number of turns or the frequency will increase the inductance and decrease the steady state current, while increasing the magnetic flux or the resistance will have the opposite effect.