Simple intergral using parametric equations

In summary, the given problem involves finding the integral for the shaded area between the curve and the x-axis in the first quadrant. The given equations are x = 3cost, y = 9sin2t, and the interval is 0 ≤ t < 2π. The equation for the integral is ∫y (dx/dt) dt, but the answer given is A = 27. To find the correct answer, it is important to note that the curve cuts the x-axis at 0 and 3, which corresponds to t = π/2 and t = 0, respectively. By reversing the limits of integration, the correct answer can be obtained: ∫0^(π/2) 27sin
Galadirith

Homework Statement

i. [tex]x = 3cost,[/tex]
ii. [tex]y = 9sin2t,[/tex]
iii. [tex]0\leq t < 2\pi[/tex]

iv.[tex]\int_0^\frac{\pi}{2} Asin2tsint \ dt[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution

So this is what I am given and I am supposed to be able to show that this is the integral for the shadded area between the curve and the x-axis in the 1st quadrant (sorry I know that relys on a graph, but the question is related I have isn't related to the actually shadded area anyway), so I can show the the interval is correct and form the intergral using

[tex] \int y \frac{dx}{dt} dt [/tex]

but they state as answer that A is 27. Now I know that that must be the answer because the shaded region is above the x-axis, so the integral in those limits should be possitive, but whenever I try to from the intergral equation I get -27 becuase dx/dt is -3sint. Can anyone help me to see how I have gone wrong, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah I have figured out the answer, basically the curve cuts the x-axis at 0 and 3 (well at least the shaded region), and getting the paramater t for each value is x=0, t= pi/2 and x = 3, t=0. so in actuall fact on initial formualtion of the intergral I should get:

[tex] \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^0 -27sin2tsint \ dt [/tex]

and then if I reverse the limits of intergration of the intergral i get :

[tex] \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} 27sin2tsint \ dt [/tex]

Thanks all who did look (or will) :-)

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a set of equations that express a set of quantities as explicit functions of a number of independent variables, known as parameters. In simpler terms, they represent a relationship between two or more variables in a mathematical equation.

2. How are parametric equations used in simple integrals?

Parametric equations are used in simple integrals to solve for the area under a curve that is defined by a set of parametric equations. This allows us to find the area even when the curve is not defined by a single equation in terms of x or y.

3. Can parametric equations be used to solve more complex integrals?

Yes, parametric equations can be used to solve more complex integrals, such as double or triple integrals. However, the equations may become more complicated and require more advanced techniques to solve them.

4. What is the advantage of using parametric equations in integrals?

The advantage of using parametric equations in integrals is that they can represent more complex curves and surfaces, allowing us to solve for the area under these curves or surfaces. They also allow for more flexibility in choosing the parameters and can make the integration process simpler.

5. Are there any limitations to using parametric equations in integrals?

One limitation of using parametric equations in integrals is that they may not always be the most efficient or straightforward method for solving certain problems. In some cases, it may be easier to use other techniques, such as substitution or trigonometric identities, to solve the integral.