Simple Projectile in Cylindrical Coordinates

Instead of getting:z = -\frac{1}{2}gt^{2} - \dot{z_{0}}t + \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} - \dot{z_{0}}t_{1} + \frac{1}{2}gt_{1}^{2}I had to subtract the given surface from the equation for z, which gave me the following:z - \frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g} + \frac{g}{2v^{2}_{0}}\rho + \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} + \dot{z_{0}}t + \frac{1}{2}gt^{2} -
McCoy13

Homework Statement

A gun can fire shells in any direction with the same speed [tex]v_{0}[/tex]. Ignoring air resistance and using cylindrical polar coordinates with the gun at the origin and [tex]z[/tex] measured vertically up, show that the gun can hit any object inside the surface

[tex]z = \frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g} - \frac{g}{2v^{2}_{0}}\rho[/tex]

Describe this surface and comment on its dimensions.

Homework Equations

[tex]m\ddot{z} = mg[/tex]
[tex]\ddot{\rho} = 0[/tex]
(Angular acceleration is unimportant because the problem has radial symmetry)

The Attempt at a Solution

The surface is a sort of parabolic dome (circular paraboloid, I believe would be the technical term?) with its vertex at the maximum height the projectile would go if fired straight up. This is fairly obvious from the given equation.

Just curious if I could get the solution without using cylindrical coordinates explicitly, I attacked the problem naturally by assigning an angle [tex]\theta[/tex] between the horizontal and the initial velocity of the projectile. Then the equations fall out as follows:

[tex]v_{0}sin(\theta) = v_{z0}[/tex]

[tex]z = \frac{v^{2}_{0}sin^{2}(\theta)}{2g}[/tex]

[tex]\rho = v_{0}cos(\theta)t[/tex]

[tex]t = \frac{v_{0}sin(\theta)}{g}[/tex]

[tex]\rho = \frac{v^{2}_{0}cos(\theta)sin(\theta)}{g}[/tex]

I then made the substitution into the equation for z.

[tex]z = \rho^{2}(\frac{g}{2v^{2}_{0}cos^{2}(\theta)})[/tex]
(LaTeX is not displaying this equation for me - it should read:
z = rho^2*(g/(2v_0^2*cos^2(theta))

Obviously, the cosine term is not in agreement with the given equation. I may be missing some kind of identity or making some kind of mistake, but I figured I'd move on to trying explicit cylindrical coordinates (since these were kind of fudged) and seeing if the problem resolved itself.

Integrating the differential equations once we have
[tex]\dot{z} = -gt + \dot{z_{0}}[/tex]
[tex]\dot{\rho}= \dot{\rho_{0}}[/tex]
Integrating the z equation once more we have
[tex]z = -\frac{1}{2}gt^{2}+\dot{z_{0}}t[/tex]

I noticed that we can substitute in [tex]t = \frac{\rho}{\dot{\rho_{0}}}[/tex]

[tex]z = -\frac{1}{2}g(\frac{\rho}{\dot{\rho_{0}}})^{2}+\dot{z_{0}}(\frac{\rho}{\dot{\rho_{0}}})[/tex]

Furthermore, we can make the substitution [tex]\dot{\rho_{0}} = \sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-\dot{z_{0}}^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]z = \frac{\dot{z_{0}}\rho\sqrt{v^{2}_{0}-\dot{z^{2}_{0}}-\rho^{2}g}{2(v^{2}_{0}-\dot{z_{0}}^{2}})[/tex]
(These two equations also aren't showing up. They should read

dotted rho_0 = sqrt(v_0^2 - dotted z_0^2)

z = (dot z_0 * rho * sqrt(v_0^2 - dot z_0^2) - rho^2 * g)/(2*(v_0^2 - dot z_0^2)

respectively)

Here is where I get stuck, because I don't see how to resolve the problem of having either
[tex]\dot{z_{0}}[/tex] or [tex]\dot{\rho_{0}}[/tex]
appear in the equation. Furthermore, on the whole, it seems like I've actually moved further away from the given solution rather than closer to it.

Physics news on Phys.org
McCoy13 said:
[tex]z = \frac{v^{2}_{0}sin^{2}(\theta)}{2g}[/tex]

Didn't you think it was odd that your [itex]z[/itex] didn't depend on [itex]t[/itex]? :wink:

gabbagabbahey said:
Didn't you think it was odd that your [itex]z[/itex] didn't depend on [itex]t[/itex]? :wink:

I didn't, actually. Given an angle and an initial velocity, you can determine the maximum height of the parabola. The way I framed the problem was that the surface originally specified [itex](z = \frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g} - \frac{g}{2v^{2}_{0}}\rho)[/itex]
would be made up by the vertices of all possible parabolic arcs through which the projectile could travel. I'd been wrestling with this particular part for awhile, because it seems intuitively wrong. I suppose you are saying that I should restrict myself to just the maximum height by allowing t to vary and taking the whole arc into account? I can try that, but I won't be able to give it a shot for a couple days maybe.

McCoy13 said:
I didn't, actually. Given an angle and an initial velocity, you can determine the maximum height of the parabola. The way I framed the problem was that the surface originally specified [itex](z = \frac{v^{2}_{0}}{2g} - \frac{g}{2v^{2}_{0}}\rho)[/itex]
would be made up by the vertices of all possible parabolic arcs through which the projectile could travel. I'd been wrestling with this particular part for awhile, because it seems intuitively wrong. I suppose you are saying that I should restrict myself to just the maximum height by allowing t to vary and taking the whole arc into account? I can try that, but I won't be able to give it a shot for a couple days maybe.

You're not looking for the maximum heights, but rather the maximum distance from the starting point(origin) for every possible firing angle...that will give you a curve [itex]r(\theta)[/itex], that when revolved around the z-axis will give you the surface which your projectile cannot escape.

Okay, I'll try again with that in mind and come back with my result.

Okay, I found a solution online (http://www.physics.umd.edu/courses/Phys410/brill2005/Sol78.html) and was able to use it to guide me. After using your advise I tried to use the distance formula to specify a function s(t, theta), and then tried to maximize it on t for fixed theta. The resulting equation was not solvable for t, so I turned to this solution.

I substituted my equation from earlier for rho into the equation for z (this time as a function of t!) and then used their method of subtracting the surface from the equation for z. Their solution gets the inequality backward though.

Related to Simple Projectile in Cylindrical Coordinates

1. What is a simple projectile in cylindrical coordinates?

A simple projectile in cylindrical coordinates is a type of motion in which an object is launched at a certain angle and velocity, and then moves freely under the influence of gravity. This motion can be described using cylindrical coordinates, which include a radial distance, an angle, and a height.

2. How is the motion of a simple projectile in cylindrical coordinates different from that in Cartesian coordinates?

The motion of a simple projectile in cylindrical coordinates differs from that in Cartesian coordinates because it takes into account the vertical and horizontal components of the motion separately. In cylindrical coordinates, the vertical and horizontal components are described by the height and angle, while in Cartesian coordinates, they are described by the y and x coordinates respectively.

3. What are the equations to describe the motion of a simple projectile in cylindrical coordinates?

The equations to describe the motion of a simple projectile in cylindrical coordinates are:

• Radial distance: r = urt
  • Angle: θ = uθt
  • Height: h = uht - 1/2gt2

Where ur, uθ, and uh are the initial velocities in the radial, tangential, and vertical directions respectively, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. How can we calculate the range of a simple projectile in cylindrical coordinates?

The range of a simple projectile in cylindrical coordinates can be calculated using the equation:

Range = (uruθ/g)sin(2θ)

This equation takes into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity to determine the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple projectile motion in cylindrical coordinates?

Simple projectile motion in cylindrical coordinates has many real-world applications, such as analyzing the trajectory of a rocket, studying the motion of a thrown ball or a projectile fired from a cannon, and calculating the range of a golf shot. It is also used in the design of roller coasters and other amusement park rides.