Simple Question: Units and volume of DNA - Can't get formula correct?

In summary, to find the average volume occupied by one DNA molecule, you can use the formula V = m / p, where m is the molecular weight and p is the density. In this case, the molecular weight of DNA is 3.04 × 10^8 g, and the density is 1.10 g/cm^3. Using the conversion factor of 1 mol/6.022x10^23 molecules, we can calculate the average volume to be approximately 2.76 x 10^-15 cm^3 per molecule. This may seem like a large volume, but DNA molecules are quite large compared to other molecules.
nukeman

Homework Statement

Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) is thought to be the chemical compound
responsible for the process of heredity. A sample of DNA was found to have
density 1.10 g/cm3 and its molecular weight was estimated to be
3.04 × 108 g. What is the average volume occupied by one DNA molecule?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck here. I know V = mass/density

Would I go something like:

3.04 x 10^8 g per mol x (1 mol / 6.022x10^23 molecules) x ( 1 cm^3 / 1.10 g)

No that's not right...dammit

Any help would be great. I know its a simple question, but I need to know exactly how to get the answer.

Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore.

Last edited:
tms said:
You know exactly how to get the answer: [itex]v = m / \rho[/itex]. What have moles got to do with it?

I thought the correct units for molecular weight is g/mol, and since we are finding the volume of one DNA molecule, I thought I had to do a few conversion factors.

tms said:
Ignore.

If I do it that way 3.04 x 10^8 / 1.1 I get... 2.76364 x 10^8 cm^3

which is impossible for just one DNA molecule to occupy that space.

nukeman said:

Homework Statement

Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) is thought to be the chemical compound
responsible for the process of heredity. A sample of DNA was found to have
density 1.10 g/cm3 and its molecular weight was estimated to be
3.04 × 108 g. What is the average volume occupied by one DNA molecule?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stuck here. I know V = mass/density

Would I go something like:

3.04 x 10^8 g per mol x (1 mol / 6.022x10^23 molecules) x ( 1 cm^3 / 1.10 g)

No that's not right...dammit

Any help would be great. I know its a simple question, but I need to know exactly how to get the answer.

Thanks all!

Your method looks okay. Why do think it's not right? Are having difficulty with the unit conversions for grams or cubic centimeters?

The molecular weight defines how much mass of something is in a mole, i.e. 6.02(10^23) molecules. You need to normalize the volume to one molecule. Your answer should be correct. Just make sure you put your answer in the units that the answer called for.

nukeman said:
I thought the correct units for molecular weight is g/mol, and since we are finding the volume of one DNA molecule, I thought I had to do a few conversion factors.
Forget what I said; I was answering the wrong question.

gneill said:
Your method looks okay. Why do think it's not right? Are having difficulty with the unit conversions for grams or cubic centimeters?

Is there a better way to do this. Can you maybe explain?

When you look at this question, what steps are you thinking to do?

Yes, having little issue with last part (1 cm^3 / 1.10g)

So, when I see something like 1.10g/cm^3, if I want to get rid of the g, i would just go...1cm^3 / 1.10 g

Slightly confused :(

nukeman said:
If I do it that way 3.04 x 10^8 / 1.1 I get... 2.76364 x 10^8 cm^3

which is impossible for just one DNA molecule to occupy that space.
DNA molecules are huge (although not that huge; I didn't realize you were still looking at my first stupid answer). Compare its molecular weight with that of a more typical molecule.

Last edited:
tms said:
DNA molecules are huge (although not that huge; I didn't realize you were still looking at my first stupid answer). Compare its molecular weight with that of a more typical molecule.

lol, yea its true. They are pretty big.

nukeman said:
Is there a better way to do this. Can you maybe explain?
The method that you used is the standard approach, so no need to tinker there.
When you look at this question, what steps are you thinking to do?
Same as you did!
Yes, having little issue with last part (1 cm^3 / 1.10g)

So, when I see something like 1.10g/cm^3, if I want to get rid of the g, i would just go...1cm^3 / 1.10 g

Slightly confused :(
The grams will cancel with another grams earlier in the expression chain. In fact the first item in the chain was the molecular weight given as grams/mol. So the grams in its numerator cancel the grams in the denominator of the density, even though they are separated by other links in the calculation chain.

Great, thanks. Much better understanding now!

1. What are the units used to measure DNA?

The unit used to measure DNA is base pairs (bp). This refers to the number of nucleotide bases (adenine, guanine, cytosine, and thymine) in a DNA molecule.

2. How is the volume of DNA calculated?

The volume of DNA can be calculated by multiplying the number of base pairs (bp) by the average volume of a single base pair, which is 0.978 cubic nanometers (nm3).

3. What is the formula for calculating the volume of DNA?

The formula for calculating the volume of DNA is V = (L x W x H) x 0.978, where V is the volume in cubic nanometers, L is the length of the DNA molecule in base pairs, W is the width of the DNA molecule in base pairs, and H is the height of the DNA molecule in base pairs.

4. How do you convert DNA length from base pairs to meters?

To convert DNA length from base pairs to meters, you can use the conversion factor 0.34 nm/bp. Simply multiply the number of base pairs by 0.34 nm to get the length in meters.

5. Can the volume of DNA vary among different organisms?

Yes, the volume of DNA can vary among different organisms. This is because different organisms have different genome sizes and different DNA packaging mechanisms, which can affect the overall volume of DNA in a cell.