Surface Charge Density, Polarization

In summary: I just didnt want to make a mistake on this one, because I havent even seen anything like this problem before. In summary, the problem involves calculating the resulting surface charge density at the upper water surface of a glass of water where all molecular dipoles are made to point down. The equation used is ##\sigma_b = P \cdot \hat{n}##, where ##P## is the dipole moment per unit volume and ##\hat{n}## is of negative orientation due to the surface being the opposite direction of the polarization of the molecules. The values used for the calculation are the density of water, the atomic mass of water, and the number of molecules being polarized. The resulting surface charge density is calculated to
Destroxia

Homework Statement

The electric dipole moment for the water molecule equals $$ p = 6.13 × 10−30 C · m $$ Suppose that in the glass of water all molecular dipoles could be made to point down. Calculate the resulting surface charge density at the upper water surface

Homework Equations

[/B]
## P = ## dipole moment per unit volume

## \sigma_b = P \cdot \hat{n} ##

## D_{water} = 1,000,000 [\frac{g}{m^3}] ##

## M_{water} = 18.02 [\frac{g}{mol}]##

## N_A = 6.022 *10^{23} [\frac{1}{mole}] ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure how to go about this one, I've seen other similar problems online, and here, but the book seems kind of vague to me on this topic, for some reason.

I wasn't sure if "bound" surface charge density would be the same as surface charge density in this situation, so I just went ahead and assumed it is for this problem :

$$ \sigma_b = P \cdot \hat{n} = (\frac {mp} {V_u}) \cdot \hat{n} $$, where ## m = ## number of molecules being polarized, ## V_u = ## unit volume, and ## \hat{n} ## is of negative orientation due to the surface being the opposite direction of the polarization of the molecules?

So, now I need to figure out ##m## and ## V_u##, volume is mass divided by density, so I assume I need the atomic mass, and density of water...

$$ \sigma_b = - (\frac {D_{water}} {M_{water}}) N_a p = -(3.3*10^28[\frac {1}{m^3}])(6.13*10^-30[C \cdot m]) = -.205 [\frac {C}{m^2}]$$

I just need some confirmation on my work in this problem, I'm really not sure about assuming ##\sigma_b ## is the same as ##\sigma## and also, in terms of the direction of ## \hat{n} ##. It just seemed weird also including all this old chemistry knowledge in a physics textbook that never once mentions anything about moles, so I'm not sure if all this was needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
The reasoning seems fairly sound to me ... you are modelling the mater molecule as a pair of charges: when the dipole points down, one of the charges is on the top. Then you need the surface density of water dipoles and the size of the uppermost charge. That the units check out should be a clue you did OK.
When you write it out be clear about the assumptions you made.

Simon Bridge said:
The reasoning seems fairly sound to me ... you are modelling the mater molecule as a pair of charges: when the dipole points down, one of the charges is on the top. Then you need the surface density of water dipoles and the size of the uppermost charge. That the units check out should be a clue you did OK.
When you write it out be clear about the assumptions you made.

Okay, thanks. I just wasnt too sure about the negative direction of the polarizability, and also that the bound surface density was the same as the overal surface density.

What is surface charge density?

Surface charge density is a measure of the electric charge per unit area on the surface of a material. It is typically represented by the symbol σ and is expressed in units of coulombs per square meter (C/m²).

How is surface charge density different from volume charge density?

Surface charge density refers to the charge per unit area on the surface of a material, while volume charge density refers to the charge per unit volume within a material. Surface charge density is typically used to describe the charges on conductors, while volume charge density is more commonly used for insulators.

What is polarization?

Polarization is the process by which the charges within a material align in response to an external electric field. This creates an imbalance of positive and negative charges, resulting in a net dipole moment within the material.

How does polarization affect surface charge density?

Polarization can affect surface charge density by inducing a surface charge on the material. This occurs when the dipoles created by polarization are not evenly distributed, resulting in a net surface charge. This can also lead to changes in the electric field at the surface of the material.

How can surface charge density and polarization be measured?

Surface charge density can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as a Kelvin probe or a Faraday cage. Polarization can be measured using techniques such as dielectric spectroscopy or by observing changes in the dipole moment of a material in response to an electric field.