Simple Statics Problem--what am I missing?

• Thread starter Taulant Sholla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statics
In summary, when calculating torque in a system with linear acceleration, it is necessary to sum torques about the center of mass (COM) even though there is no rotational acceleration. This can be achieved by using the concept of inertial forces, or pseudo forces, and applying them at the COM in the opposite direction of the acceleration. This allows for an equilibrium situation and the ability to sum torques about any point to get the correct answer. While the use of pseudo forces is not always recommended, it is a valid method to use in this type of problem. The choice of COM or any fixed point in an inertial frame is valid because the pseudoforce representing the linear acceleration has no moment about the COM.
Taulant Sholla
Homework Statement
Calculate forces and torques
Relevant Equations
Force and torque equilibrium.
I get the correct answer if I use the COM as the axis of rotation for torque calculations. Shouldn't I be able to use any point as the axis of rotation for torque calculations, e.g. where the front wheels make contact with the ground?
car.png
car.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Newton’s 2nd law applies to acceleration of the center of mass of the system. Even though there is no rotational acceleration, you must sum torques about the COM.
There is a way around this by using the concept of inertial forces, called pseudo forces. Since F=ma, rewrite it as F - ma = 0, where the quantity ma is the pseudo force. So apply the pseudo force ma at the COM , in the direction opposite the acceleration. Now you have an equilibrium situation since all forces and pseudo forces sum to zero, and you can thus sum torques about any point equal to 0 to get the answer.
I don’t often recommend the use of pseudo forces, although it works well here.

Likes Lnewqban
Taulant Sholla said:
Shouldn't I be able to use any point as the axis of rotation for torque calculations,
It is not a statics problem: the car is accelerating. You can use the COM or any fixed point in an inertial frame; otherwise you must include pseudo forces as @PhanthomJay describes.

PhanthomJay said:
Newton’s 2nd law applies to acceleration of the center of mass of the system. Even though there is no rotational acceleration, you must sum torques about the COM.
There is a way around this by using the concept of inertial forces, called pseudo forces. Since F=ma, rewrite it as F - ma = 0, where the quantity ma is the pseudo force. So apply the pseudo force ma at the COM , in the direction opposite the acceleration. Now you have an equilibrium situation since all forces and pseudo forces sum to zero, and you can thus sum torques about any point equal to 0 to get the answer.
I don’t often recommend the use of pseudo forces, although it works well here.
This is very helpful, thank you so much!

haruspex said:
It is not a statics problem: the car is accelerating. You can use the COM or any fixed point in an inertial frame; otherwise you must include pseudo forces as @PhanthomJay describes.
Yes, that does clear things up--thank you!

haruspex said:
You can use the COM or any fixed point in an inertial frame;
why is that so? What makes valid the choice of COM for torque calculations in this problem?

I know that if two points positions vectors differ by ##\vec{d}## then the torques around those points differ by ##\vec{d}\times \sum \vec{F}## so if the sum of forces is not zero, then the total torque depends on the point chosen. I just don't understand why choosing COM (or any fixed point in an inertial frame) works for problems like this.

Delta2 said:
What makes valid the choice of COM for torque calculations in this problem?
Because the problem is the linear acceleration of the body, and the pseudoforce representing that has no moment about the CoM.

1. What is the definition of statics?

Statics is the branch of mechanics that deals with the study of objects at rest or in a state of constant motion.

2. What is the purpose of solving a simple statics problem?

The purpose of solving a simple statics problem is to understand the forces acting on an object and how they are balanced or unbalanced.

3. What are the key concepts in a simple statics problem?

The key concepts in a simple statics problem are forces, equilibrium, and moments.

4. What are the steps to solving a simple statics problem?

The steps to solving a simple statics problem are: 1) Identify all the forces acting on the object, 2) Draw a free-body diagram, 3) Apply the equations of equilibrium to find the unknown forces, and 4) Check the solution for accuracy and correctness.

5. What are some common mistakes made when solving a simple statics problem?

Some common mistakes made when solving a simple statics problem include: forgetting to include all forces, using incorrect signs for forces, and not considering the direction of the forces and their effects on the object.