Simple Verification of a Group

• Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the discussion is about determining whether the set of rational numbers with denominator equal to 1 or 2 forms a group under addition. A closure proof is being discussed, and there is a question about how to show that a fraction with a denominator of 1 or 2 is in reduced form. The person proposing the proof suggests considering the cases where the numerator is even or odd, but it is pointed out that this does not cover the case where both numerators are odd.
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Determine whether the set of rational numbers with denominator equal to 1 or 2 is a group under addition.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Please have a look at the closure proof of part 5. I don't quite understand how ##q/2## implies that the denominator of ##p/q## will be 1 or 2, so I tried to conceive of my own.

Either ##2a+d## is even or is odd. If even, then ##\frac{2a+d}{2} = \frac{2k}{2} = \frac{k}{1}## which is therefore in reduced form and puts it in ##G##. Now, if odd, then the numerator and denominator of ##\frac{2a+d}{2}## have no common factors and is therefore already in reduced form. Because the denominator is ##2##, it is by definition in ##G##.

Is there anything wrong with this proof? Although I gave my own, I would like to understand the linked solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks mostly fine. But by using ##2a+d## you have not covered the case where both numerators are odd. You need to cover that case as well to complete the proof.

1. What is a group in science?

A group in science refers to a collection of objects or elements that possess similar characteristics or properties. These elements may be atoms, molecules, cells, or organisms, and they are usually organized based on their common features.

2. How do scientists verify the existence of a group?

There are several methods that can be used to verify the existence of a group. These include observing the physical and chemical properties of the elements, analyzing their genetic or structural similarities, and conducting experiments to test their behavior and interactions.

3. Why is it important to verify a group in science?

Verifying the existence of a group in science is important because it allows us to understand the relationships and patterns among the elements. This can help us make predictions and draw conclusions about the behavior and characteristics of the group as a whole.

4. Can a group change over time?

Yes, a group can change over time as new elements are discovered or as our understanding of the group's properties and behavior evolves. This is why ongoing verification and research are necessary to keep our knowledge of a group up-to-date.

5. What are some examples of groups in science?

Some examples of groups in science include the periodic table of elements, the classification of living organisms, and the various types of chemical compounds. Other examples include groups of stars or galaxies in astronomy, and groups of particles in physics.