Find the Lie algebra corresponding to this Lie group

In summary, the group G = {a ∈ M_n (C) | aSa^† = S} is a Lie group where S ∈ M_n (C). The corresponding Lie algebra is g = {a ∈ M_n (C) | a = -a^†}, which consists of skew-Hermitian matrices. However, the role of S in this example is still uncertain and further clarification may be needed from the professor.
Kara386

Homework Statement

The group ##G = \{ a\in M_n (C) | aSa^{\dagger} =S\}## is a Lie group where ##S\in M_n (C)##. Find the corresponding Lie algebra.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As far as I've been told the way to find these things is to set ##a = exp(tA)##, so:
##exp(tA)exp(tS)exp(tA^{\dagger}) = exp(tA)exp(tA^{\dagger})exp(tS)## Use series expansion:

##= (I+tA+ \frac{t^2A^2}{2}+O(t^3))(I+tA^{\dagger}+\frac{t^2A^{\dagger 2}}{2}+O(t^3))e^{tS}##
##=[I+t(A+A^{\dagger})+t^2(\frac{A^2}{2}+\frac{A^{\dagger 2}}{2}+AA^{\dagger}) + O(t^3)]e^{tS} = e^{tS}##

So require ##A+A^{\dagger}=0## therefore ##A = -A^{\dagger}##. This also means the second bracket is zero and the equation is satisfied. Does that mean the Lie algebra of G is ##g= \{a\in M_n(C)| A+A^{\dagger}=0\}##? If not, where did I go wrong? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the condition on ##aSa^\dagger ##? The way you wrote it, it's simply ##\mathfrak{gl}_n(\mathbb{C})##.

Likes Kara386
fresh_42 said:
What is the condition on ##aSa^\dagger ##? The way you wrote it, it's simply ##\mathfrak{gl}_n(\mathbb{C})##.
Sorry, that was really silly. Added it, it should read ##aSa^\dagger=S##.

So to be sure: I assume you don't mean the additive group of all matrices with this property, but the multiplicative group of regular matrices of ##GL_n(\mathbb{C})## instead. However, I'm not sure and you didn't qualify ##S##. It is a given fixed matrix? Is ##S=0## a possibility? Do we know something about ##S\,##? Is it regular?

A remark on the exponential function. ##e^0=1\,.## This is one way to remember that ##exp\, : \,\mathfrak{g} \longrightarrow G## is a function from the algebra into the group, not vice versa. The Lie algebra of a Lie group is basically the tangent space at ##1.## So one way to calculate it would be to calculate the tangent vectors of curves in ##G## at ##a=1##. Or you do it the easy way: multiplication becomes addition, inversion a factor ##-1## and ##1## becomes ##0##. Or you compute the left invariant vector fields of ##G##.

Likes Kara386
fresh_42 said:
So to be sure: I assume you don't mean the additive group of all matrices with this property, but the multiplicative group of regular matrices of ##GL_n(\mathbb{C})## instead. However, I'm not sure and you didn't qualify ##S##. It is a given fixed matrix? Is ##S=0## a possibility? Do we know something about ##S\,##? Is it regular?

A remark on the exponential function. ##e^0=1\,.## This is one way to remember that ##exp\, : \,\mathfrak{g} \longrightarrow G## is a function from the algebra into the group, not vice versa. The Lie algebra of a Lie group is basically the tangent space at ##1.## So one way to calculate it would be to calculate the tangent vectors of curves in ##G## at ##a=1##. Or you do it the easy way: multiplication becomes addition, inversion a factor ##-1## and ##1## becomes ##0##. Or you compute the left invariant vector fields of ##G##.
All I know about S is the aforementioned property ##S \in M_n(C)##. We don't go into tangent spaces in the lecture series I'm doing; I'm in the second week of only five, and we've been told that tangent spaces would take too long, since none of us have ever touched group theory before. So I think we have to use the easy way to do stuff. Does that mean using the exponential to go from group to algebra is wrong then? Substituting the exponential into the group conditions?

Kara386 said:
All I know about S is the aforementioned property ##S \in M_n(C)##. We don't go into tangent spaces in the lecture series I'm doing; I'm in the second week of only five, and we've been told that tangent spaces would take too long, since none of us have ever touched group theory before. So I think we have to use the easy way to do stuff. Does that mean using the exponential to go from group to algebra is wrong then? Substituting the exponential into the group conditions?
Yes, because ##0## is the neutral element of the additive group of the vector space, where the algebra structure is defined on, and ##1## the neutral element of the group, i.e. ##exp(0)=1## means from vector space (Lie algebra) to (Lie) group.

So very likely your group is multiplicative and ##G = \{A\in \mathbb{M}_n(\mathbb{C})\,\vert \,ASA^\dagger = S \wedge det(A) \neq 0\}## and ##ASA^\dagger =S##, which is ##SA^\dagger=A^{-1}S## translates to ##s+a^\dagger=-a+s## or ##a^\dagger = -a## in the Lie algebra, i.e. the skew-Hermitian matrices. But I'm still not sure about the role of ##S## in this example. If, e.g. ##S=0##, then ##G=GL_n(\mathbb{C})## and the Lie algebra of it is ##\mathfrak{g}=\mathfrak{gl}_n(\mathbb{C})=\mathbb{M}_n(\mathbb{C})##, i.e. all matrices.

Likes Kara386
fresh_42 said:
Yes, because ##0## is the neutral element of the additive group of the vector space, where the algebra structure is defined on, and ##1## the neutral element of the group, i.e. ##exp(0)=1## means from vector space (Lie algebra) to (Lie) group.

So very likely your group is multiplicative and ##G = \{A\in \mathbb{M}_n(\mathbb{C})\,\vert \,ASA^\dagger = S \wedge det(A) \neq 0\}## and ##ASA^\dagger =S##, which is ##SA^\dagger=A^{-1}S## translates to ##s+a^\dagger=-a+s## or ##a^\dagger = -a## in the Lie algebra, i.e. the skew-Hermitian matrices. But I'm still not sure about the role of ##S## in this example. If, e.g. ##S=0##, then ##G=GL_n(\mathbb{C})## and the Lie algebra of it is ##\mathfrak{g}=\mathfrak{gl}_n(\mathbb{C})=\mathbb{M}_n(\mathbb{C})##, i.e. all matrices.
Ok thanks, I'll ask for some clarification from the professor I think. :)

1. What is a Lie algebra?

A Lie algebra is a mathematical structure that deals with the study of continuous groups. It is a vector space equipped with a bilinear operation called the Lie bracket, which measures the extent to which two elements do not commute.

2. How is a Lie algebra related to a Lie group?

A Lie algebra is the linear counterpart of a Lie group. It is the tangent space at the identity element of the Lie group and captures the local structure of the group. The group operations can be translated into algebraic operations on the Lie algebra through the exponential map.

3. How do you find the Lie algebra corresponding to a Lie group?

The Lie algebra corresponding to a Lie group can be found by taking the tangent space at the identity element of the group. This can be done by considering the generators of the group and finding their commutation relations using the Lie bracket. The resulting structure is the Lie algebra of the group.

4. What is the importance of finding the Lie algebra corresponding to a Lie group?

The Lie algebra provides a more manageable and algebraic way of studying the properties of a Lie group. It is also useful in applications such as physics and differential geometry, where Lie groups and algebras play a significant role in the description of symmetries and transformations.

5. Can you give an example of finding the Lie algebra of a Lie group?

For example, the Lie algebra of the special orthogonal group SO(3) can be found by considering the infinitesimal generators of rotations in 3-dimensional space. These are the 3-dimensional vectors corresponding to the three coordinate axes. The commutation relations between these generators give the structure of the Lie algebra of SO(3), which is isomorphic to the familiar Lie algebra of su(2).