Simulating e&m wave propagation

In summary, the conversation revolves around a person struggling to simulate a cavity problem and seeking advice on programs or codes that can help with this task, specifically ones used in accelerator physics. The person also mentions looking at Microwave Studio and COMSOL but is unsure of how to purchase them. They are directed to a link listing some free software and advised to contact the companies directly for pricing information.
hangainlover
Hello everyone.

I'm really struggling to simulate a cavity problem.

My goal is to be able to know what's going to happen if i introduce spatially dependent phase inbetween mirrors of a cavity that supports certain transverse modes.

Well, i believe solving for eigenmodes of a cavity is near impossible.

If you guys know something about this sort of challenge or know any good e&m simulators, could you direct me to it?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't programs such as Microwave Studio designed to do just that?

Programs and codes doing this are quite common in accelerator physics, since one has to deal with RF structures all the time, and having fields with different modes. So if you know of any accelerator physics group, those are the people you might want to ask.

Zz.

i have looked at Microwave Studio and COMSOL.

there websites don't seem to sell them..

do you know where i can purchase these products?

I found this link http://www.edaboard.com/thread180440.html a while ago. It lists some free software. If you want COMSOL etc you have to contact the company direct to get a price list. There's normally an online request form and a sales person will contact you.

for your question. Simulating electromagnetic (e&m) wave propagation can be a complex and challenging task. One approach to this problem is to use numerical methods, such as finite element analysis or finite difference time domain, to solve Maxwell's equations and simulate the behavior of the electromagnetic waves in the cavity.

Solving for eigenmodes of a cavity can indeed be difficult, but it is not impossible. There are various methods and algorithms that can be used to solve for these modes, such as the finite element method or the boundary element method.

As for e&m simulators, there are many commercially available software packages that can simulate electromagnetic wave propagation in cavities, such as COMSOL, CST, and ANSYS. These simulators have various features and capabilities, so it is important to research and choose the one that best suits your specific needs and goals.

Additionally, there are also open-source and free software options, such as OpenEMS and FDTD++, that can be used for e&m simulations. These may have a steeper learning curve, but they can provide a cost-effective solution for your simulation needs.

I hope this information helps and good luck with your simulation!

for reaching out and sharing your struggle with simulating a cavity problem. I understand the challenges of trying to simulate complex systems and the importance of finding accurate and efficient solutions.

One approach to simulating electromagnetic (e&m) wave propagation in a cavity is to use numerical methods such as finite-difference time-domain (FDTD) or finite element method (FEM). These methods allow for the spatial and temporal variation of the electromagnetic fields to be accurately simulated.

Another option is to use commercial software specifically designed for e&m simulations, such as COMSOL or CST Studio Suite. These software packages have built-in tools for simulating cavities and can handle spatially dependent phase variations.

I would also suggest reaching out to colleagues or other experts in the field who may have experience with similar simulations. Collaboration and knowledge-sharing can often lead to new insights and solutions.

I hope this information helps guide you towards finding a successful simulation for your cavity problem. Good luck with your research!

Related to Simulating e&m wave propagation

1. What is the purpose of simulating e&m wave propagation?

The purpose of simulating e&m wave propagation is to understand how electromagnetic waves travel and interact with different materials and environments. This information is crucial for designing and optimizing technologies that use electromagnetic waves, such as communication systems, radar, and medical devices.

2. What factors are involved in simulating e&m wave propagation?

Simulating e&m wave propagation involves considering factors such as the frequency and wavelength of the wave, the materials through which it is propagating, and any obstacles or boundaries that may affect its path.

3. Are there different methods for simulating e&m wave propagation?

Yes, there are various methods for simulating e&m wave propagation, including analytical methods, numerical methods, and experimental methods. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the chosen method depends on the specific research or design goal.

4. What are some applications of simulating e&m wave propagation?

Simulating e&m wave propagation has many practical applications, such as predicting the performance of wireless communication networks, optimizing the design of antennas and other electromagnetic devices, and studying the effects of electromagnetic radiation on biological systems.

5. Can simulating e&m wave propagation help with predicting natural phenomena?

Yes, simulating e&m wave propagation can be used to study and predict natural phenomena, such as the behavior of electromagnetic waves in the Earth's atmosphere and the propagation of radio waves for weather forecasting.