Simulating Electrostatic potential

In summary: The V term is the electrostatic potential, which is a measure of the Coulomb force between charges.-The E term is the electric field, which is a measure of the force between electric charges.-The ρ term is the charge density, which is the number of charges per unit area.-The r term is the distance between points.
philm001
Hello everyone,

I am currently learning how to use a simulation C++ library (for those wondering, it is the deal.II library) by simulating a "simple" problem where I have a charged parallel plate in free space and I am solving for the electrostatic potential around the plates.

For those that do not know, the deal.II library solves PDEs via the weak form. Once I have it in the weak form, I approximate the integral by quadrature.

Now, I am new to finite element solvers such as deal.II so I am not too sure how I can properly setup my problem. I did make an attempt and I would like to check with the community on how to setup the physics. I am pretty sure that my coding is correct. However, I need to be sure that my equations that I am using are correct hence me asking this question to the physics forum and not the deal.II forum.

So, as it stands, I am currently solving for this equation:

-∇2*V=ρ / ε

where V is the electrostatic potential and ρ is the charge density and ε is the electrical permittivity. (since I am working in the 2-D space, ρ has the units C/m^2)

With this method, I am able to determine the weak form and reduce it to quadrature. However, my only issue is that I am not sure how I should interpret ρ. Would ρ be the charge density on the plate? Or should I calculate ρ for every point around the plates. I know that V and E are both related and that E decreases as the distance from one point to another decreases hence the V decreases. So, I am wondering, how is the distance taken into account? Is it in the V term or the ρ a function of distance (r in this case).

Or, is this a terrible way of thinking about it and I can solve it with a better method in the simulator?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rho is the volume charge density in the volume you are solving the PDE in. If you have a charge surface density on a plate at the boundary, this will translate into the boundary conditions. If you have a charged plate inside your volume you need to approximate the surface density with some finite but thin volume density to solve it numerically.

philm001 said:
-∇2*V=ρ / ε
The * should not be here. In fact, it just makes it more unclear what you actually mean (I know what you mean because I know Gauss's law, but keep these things in mind).

Related to Simulating Electrostatic potential

1. What is electrostatic potential?

Electrostatic potential is the measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. It is represented by a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

2. How does electrostatic potential affect particles?

Electrostatic potential affects particles by exerting a force on them due to the presence of an electric field. The direction and magnitude of this force depend on the charge of the particle and the strength of the electric field.

3. What is the importance of simulating electrostatic potential?

Simulating electrostatic potential allows us to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in an electric field. It is crucial in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, where electric fields play a significant role.

4. How is electrostatic potential simulated?

Electrostatic potential is simulated by solving the Poisson's equation, which relates the electric potential to the charge distribution in a given system. This can be done analytically or numerically using computer simulations.

5. What are some real-world applications of simulating electrostatic potential?

Some real-world applications of simulating electrostatic potential include designing and optimizing electronic devices, analyzing the behavior of charged particles in accelerators and plasma, and studying the interactions between molecules in chemical reactions.