Simulation Tools for Solid State Devices and MEMS

In summary: Overall, there are various options available for simulating devices at the atom level, but it may require some research and exploration to find the best fit for individual needs. In summary, there are several software options available for simulating devices at the atom level, including both open source and commercial packages such as Quantum Espresso, CASTEP, VASP, NWChem, and NanoHUB. These tools are used primarily in research institutions and universities, but may also be accessible to professionals for a fee.
Jay_
I have worked with softwares that help me simulate circuits (Hpice, Proteus, MultiSim), but is there a software that helps me simulate devices right from the level of the atom?

For instance, I should be able to create a pattern of boron with silicon atoms, and then be able to replicate it 1 billion times. And then take a small (defined) piece of it for my p-type. Similarly with N-type. Or I should be able to type in my doping concentrations and then simulate.

So that way I can create SSDs (not just BJTs, MOSFETs, but describe any material I want) and see how they work on different voltages, biases and connections, etc. I think there should be a software that presently exists for designing and testing from the level of the atom, though I don't know its name.

The recent conference of ITRS spoke of modeling and simulation, though I didn't catch what software they used. I read one TCAD which is used but Technology Computer Aided Software is too general a term. So, which simulation tool or software goes down to the atom level, for modelling and simulating SSDs and MEMS?

http://www.itrs.net/Links/2011Winter/16_Modeling&Simulation.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the software used for atom-level simulations is used in research institutions and universities. Examples include Quantum Espresso, CASTEP, VASP, and NWChem. Some of these are open source packages, so they may be available to individuals for free or for a nominal fee. Additionally, some commercial software packages, such as NanoHUB, offer atom-level simulation tools that can be used by professionals.

1. What are simulation tools used for in the study of solid state devices and MEMS?

Simulation tools are used to model and predict the behavior of solid state devices and MEMS (Microelectromechanical Systems). They allow scientists to understand the physical and electrical properties of these devices and predict their performance under different conditions.

2. What types of simulations can be performed using these tools?

Simulation tools for solid state devices and MEMS can perform various types of simulations, such as structural, thermal, mechanical, electrical, and electro-thermal simulations. These simulations can help scientists analyze the performance and reliability of these devices.

3. How accurate are the results obtained from these simulations?

The accuracy of the results depends on the complexity of the device being simulated and the accuracy of the input parameters. In general, simulation tools provide a close approximation of the actual behavior of solid state devices and MEMS, but they can also help identify potential issues and optimize device design.

4. What are the advantages of using simulation tools in the study of solid state devices and MEMS?

Simulation tools offer several advantages, such as reducing the time and cost of prototyping and testing, providing a deeper understanding of device behavior, and allowing for optimization of device design before manufacturing. They also enable the study of devices under extreme conditions that may not be feasible in a lab setting.

5. What are some popular simulation tools used in the study of solid state devices and MEMS?

Some popular simulation tools for solid state devices and MEMS include COMSOL Multiphysics, ANSYS, Silvaco TCAD, and Coventor. Each tool has its own strengths and capabilities, and the choice of tool depends on the specific needs and objectives of the study.