Size of current in parallel wires

In summary: One last question (I hope) - does it matter if you use 9.57A or -9.57A for the second wire?No, it doesn't matter as long as the directions are opposite. The magnitude is what's important for cancelling out the net field.
songminho

Homework Statement

Two parallel wires are positioned at l = 2.76 cm apart. Initially a current I1 = 9.57 A flows up the screen through wire 1, and wire 2 has no current in it.

A current is then sent through wire 2. The magnetic field between the two wires, is found to be 0T.

What is the size of the current flowing through wire 2?

Homework Equations

78f8ff3a3398f1e13c3becdc6cf58a96.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use
upload_2015-11-1_0-19-23.png
by rearranging to make i the subject:
i = 2pi*rB/μ
= 2pi*0.0276x0/4pix10^-7
then I realized the answer is zero but that is totally incorrect. Am I using the correct formula here? Or should I be using
78f8ff3a3398f1e13c3becdc6cf58a96.png
? (But then here I have 2 unknown variables... F and I2) Help please! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is meant by "The magnetic field between the two wires"? Is that everywhere between the wires or at some particular location? Is the problem quoted exactly as given to you?

Regardless, you're looking for the net magnetic field B at some location, not the force on another current-carrying wire. Do you have a formula for the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire?

gneill said:
What is meant by "The magnetic field between the two wires"? Is that everywhere between the wires or at some particular location? Is the problem quoted exactly as given to you?

Regardless, you're looking for the net magnetic field B at some location, not the force on another current-carrying wire. Do you have a formula for the magnetic field of a current-carrying wire?
yes, that's how the question is worded :/
Is it the formula
upload_2015-11-1_0-19-23-png.91145.png
? I tried using in the attempt above

Since the magnitude of the magnetic field due to a current in a long wire is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire, the location matters. So the question is badly posed. I think the best plan would be to assume that they mean the midpoint between the wires. If that is the assumption, then...

...If the total field is to be zero midway between the wires, what must be the current magnitude and direction in the second wire? Hint: Investigate the Right Hand Rule for magnetic fields around a current-carrying wire.

gneill said:
Since the magnitude of the magnetic field due to a current in a long wire is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire, the location matters. So the question is badly posed. I think the best plan would be to assume that they mean the midpoint between the wires. If that is the assumption, then...

...If the total field is to be zero midway between the wires, what must be the current magnitude and direction in the second wire? Hint: Investigate the Right Hand Rule for magnetic fields around a current-carrying wire.
Magnetic field into the screen so current is upwards? Not sure about the magnitude...

songminho said:
Magnetic field into the screen so current is upwards? Not sure about the magnitude...
Would the magnitude be the same as wire 1? If they travel in same direction then they attract...?

songminho said:
Would the magnitude be the same as wire 1? If they travel in same direction then they attract...?
Attraction or repulsion doesn't play a direct role in addressing the question (although it is a consequence of the interaction of the fields). What is important is the magnitude and relative directions of the parallel currents.

Your conclusion (guess??) about the magnitude of the current is correct, and you should be able to see that it follows from the symmetry of the situation. What is your argument for the current direction though? Did you investigate the right hand rule? If you want the net field to be zero how should the directions of the fields from each wire relate to each other?

gneill said:
What is your argument for the current direction though? Did you investigate the right hand rule?If you want the net field to be zero how should the directions of the fields from each wire relate to each other?
The first wire goes up the screen so magnetic field goes into the page. For net field to be zero, it should cancel out? so the 2nd wire also goes up the screen (magnetic field into screen? So the current in the second wire is 9.57A?

songminho said:
The first wire goes up the screen so magnetic field goes into the page. For net field to be zero, it should cancel out? so the 2nd wire also goes up the screen (magnetic field into screen? So the current in the second wire is 9.57A?
Yes, that looks good.

1. What is the formula for calculating the total current in parallel wires?

The formula for calculating the total current in parallel wires is Itotal = I1 + I2 + I3 + ... + In, where Itotal is the total current and I1, I2, I3, and In are the currents in each individual wire.

2. How does the total current in parallel wires compare to the current in a single wire?

The total current in parallel wires is equal to the sum of the currents in each individual wire. This means that the total current is greater than the current in a single wire.

3. Does the resistance of the wires affect the total current in parallel wires?

Yes, the resistance of the wires does affect the total current in parallel wires. The total resistance of parallel wires is calculated using the formula 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... + 1/Rn. This means that as the resistance of the individual wires increases, the total resistance and therefore the total current decreases.

4. Can the total current in parallel wires ever be lower than the current in a single wire?

No, the total current in parallel wires can never be lower than the current in a single wire. As mentioned earlier, the total current is always equal to or greater than the current in a single wire due to the way they are connected.

5. How does changing the voltage affect the current in parallel wires?

Changing the voltage does not affect the total current in parallel wires. The total current is only affected by the individual currents and resistances of each wire, not the voltage. However, increasing the voltage will increase the potential difference across each wire, which can in turn affect the individual currents and overall resistance of the wires.