Sketch the relationship of a VCVS amplifier

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of sketching the V_o vs V_i relationship for a voltage controlled voltage source amplifier. The student shares their understanding of ideal and practical opamp relationships and asks for clarification on how to use a VCVS. The conversation also includes a figure and equations related to the VCVS.
Kevin2341

Homework Statement

"Sketch the V_o vs V_i relationship for a voltage controlled voltage source amplifier"

Homework Equations

none really

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I understand and know by heart the ideal and the practical relationships for a (respectively) ideal and practical Opamp.

Here is an Ideal Opamp relationship
idealopamprelation.png

If it were practical, the "corners" of the graph would be curved (and from what I understand the opamps we have these days get those corners pretty darn close to ideal)

So, the question is, if I were to have a VCVS (voltage controlled voltage source), rather than just simply V_o and V_i, would I in place have +/- V_s = μV_x? I know its a pretty simple question, but I can't seem to find anything to help [my teacher has mentioned controlled sources in class, but never used them in examples so I don't really understand how the heck to use them)

Physics news on Phys.org
Kevin2341 said:

Homework Statement

"Sketch the V_o vs V_i relationship for a voltage controlled voltage source amplifier"

Homework Equations

none really

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I understand and know by heart the ideal and the practical relationships for a (respectively) ideal and practical Opamp.

Here is an Ideal Opamp relationship
View attachment 56447

If it were practical, the "corners" of the graph would be curved (and from what I understand the opamps we have these days get those corners pretty darn close to ideal)

So, the question is, if I were to have a VCVS (voltage controlled voltage source), rather than just simply V_o and V_i, would I in place have +/- V_s = μV_x? I know its a pretty simple question, but I can't seem to find anything to help [my teacher has mentioned controlled sources in class, but never used them in examples so I don't really understand how the heck to use them)

First, on your figure, I'd move the Vi and Vo symbols closer to the axes that they should be marking (the +x and +y axes respectively).

And on your question, you have the figure right but I don't quite understand your red equation. What are Vx and Vs? The more traditional way to label a VCVS is shown on the right of the figure below. You can still use Vi and Vo for the labels of your VCVS terminals...

http://reference.wolfram.com/applic...LImages/CircuitElements/CircuitElements_4.gif

CircuitElements_4.gif

+/- V_s = μV_x

plus or minus of the Voltage source = multiplier for the controlled voltage source (voltage source represent by V of x).

That is how my book represents it.

Related to Sketch the relationship of a VCVS amplifier

1. What is a VCVS amplifier?

A VCVS (Voltage-Controlled Voltage Source) amplifier is an electronic device that amplifies an input voltage signal to a larger output voltage signal. It uses a voltage-controlled voltage source as its amplifying element.

2. How does a VCVS amplifier work?

A VCVS amplifier works by using a voltage-controlled voltage source to amplify the input voltage signal. The input signal is first fed into a voltage divider circuit, which divides the signal into two parts. One part is fed into the voltage-controlled voltage source, which amplifies the signal, and the other part is fed into a feedback circuit to stabilize the output. The amplified output signal is then fed back to the input of the amplifier to control the amount of amplification.

3. What is the relationship between input and output voltage in a VCVS amplifier?

The relationship between input and output voltage in a VCVS amplifier is linear. This means that as the input voltage increases, the output voltage also increases in proportion. For example, if the input voltage is doubled, the output voltage will also double.

4. What are the advantages of using a VCVS amplifier?

There are several advantages of using a VCVS amplifier, including high input impedance, low output impedance, and high gain. Additionally, VCVS amplifiers are more stable and have a wider bandwidth compared to other types of amplifiers.

5. What are some common applications of VCVS amplifiers?

VCVS amplifiers are commonly used in audio amplifiers, signal processing, and control systems. They are also used in communication systems, such as radio transmitters and receivers, as well as in instrumentation and measurement equipment.