Sketching Dispersion Relations for Protons, Free Electrons & Solid Electrons

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding and understanding the dispersion relations for different particles, specifically a proton, a free electron, and an electron in a crystalline solid. The concept of dispersion relations is explained, where it relates the energy (E) to the wavenumber (k). The similarities between dispersion relations for a free electron and a photon are also discussed. The conversation also includes a brief explanation of how to sketch a dispersion relation and the role of momentum in this equation.
stagger_lee
Really struggling with this question guys, any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Homework Statement

Sketch dispersion relations for, (i) a proton (ii) a free electron (iii) an electron, in a crystalline solid. Comment on the similarities between (ii) and (iii).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find any information on this topic at all! There isn't even a mention of dispersion relations in my course notes and can't find anything on the net.
I have Electrical Properties Of Materials, Seventh Edition but can't find anything in there either.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dispersion relations relate the energy, [itex]E[/itex], to the wavenumber, [itex]k[/itex]. For free particles it is fairly simple. For the crystalline solid there are many methods about getting it, but not sure what you are currently learning.

Thank you for your response.

I think the class is considered to be a Quantum Physics class. I am an Electrical Engineering student but I have no Physics knowledge so please bear with me. Is k the variable assigned to the wavenumber?

How would we sketch the dispersion relation?

Are we required to use a formula?

I can't unfortunately give you the answer for the free particles. But since they are free, that means they experience no potential energy. So the total energy is just kinetic energy. So how is kinetic energy written in terms of the wavenumber, [itex]k[/itex].

I have a formula in my notes;

E = h(bar).(ohmega)

but I don't have anything in terms of k.

I googled 'k' and found the following formula;

k = p / h(bar)

Am i on the right track here?

Yes. But I am surprised you don't have anything on this in your notes or book.

I stand corrected. I have just found 2 slides on dispersion relations. Sincerest apologies, must have over-looked them (been studying since I got in from work 6hrs ago)!

Slide 1;

Dispersion Relations

Waves have a wavelength λ and a frequency ν. For simple waves
the relation between λ and ν is simple: their product is a constant.
λ.ν = v, a constant, called the phase velocity

For non-simple waves, the relation ν(λ) is not linear. Two
velocities describe the wave propagation: 1) the phase velocity v
and 2) the group velocity vg (at which information propagates).

We define a frequency variable: ω=2πν (angular frequency)
We define an inverse wavelength: k=2π/λ (wavevector or wavenumber)

Then, v = ω/k and vg= dω/dk

The analytical relation (if it exists) which defines ω in terms of k
is called the dispersion relation, ω(k).

Slide 2;

Dispersion relations for a free electron and a photon

1) For a free electron, the momentum is related to the wavelength
and the energy to the wave frequency of the associated wave:

p = h /λ = h(bar).k and E = hν = h(bar).ω

But the energy and momentum of a massive particle are also
related if the energy is kinetic:
E = 1/2 mv^2 = (p^2)/m

Hence: ohmega = h(bar).k^2 / 2m
This is the dispersion relation of a free electron.

2) For a monochromatic photon,

E = cp

Hence ω = ck is the (simple) dispersion relation of a photon.

I know this is a lot but can you help me make some sense of this please?

Thank you for your help/patience!

Make sense of which part?

Make sense of how to sketch the dispersion relation.

What exactly is the the dispersion relation?

It is the equation that relates omega to k. So for a free electron you said it was a parabola.

Sorry but I don't get what you mean. How do we know it is a parabola?

stagger_lee said:

From your previous post.

Yeah, but how can we determine this to be a parabola?

nickjer said:
It is the equation that relates omega to k. So for a free electron you said it was a parabola.

stagger_lee said:

How is omega related to k in the above equation?

omega = h(bar).k^2 / 2m

But what is k? I'm really struggling with this!

'k' is related to the momentum of the electron through:

[tex]p = \hbar k[/tex]

So you can think of a dispersion relation as a relation between energy and momentum.

Related to Sketching Dispersion Relations for Protons, Free Electrons & Solid Electrons

1. What is a dispersion relation?

A dispersion relation is a mathematical relationship that describes the behavior of a wave in a medium. It relates the wave's frequency and wavelength to its velocity and the properties of the medium it is traveling through.

2. How do you sketch a dispersion relation for protons?

To sketch a dispersion relation for protons, you would first plot the frequency (x-axis) against the wavelength (y-axis). Then, using the known properties of protons such as their mass and charge, you can calculate the velocity of the proton and plot it as a line on the graph. This line represents the dispersion relation for protons.

3. What factors affect the dispersion relation for free electrons?

The dispersion relation for free electrons is affected by several factors, including the electron's charge, mass, and the electric and magnetic fields it is exposed to. The properties of the medium it is traveling through, such as its density and temperature, can also impact the dispersion relation.

4. How does the dispersion relation for solid electrons differ from that of free electrons?

The dispersion relation for solid electrons is different from that of free electrons because the electrons in a solid are not able to move freely. They are bound to their atoms and can only move within the solid lattice. This results in a more complex dispersion relation that is dependent on the properties of the solid material.

5. Why is it important to understand dispersion relations for protons and electrons?

Understanding dispersion relations for protons and electrons is important for various reasons. For example, it can help us understand the behavior of particles in different mediums and how they interact with electric and magnetic fields. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as particle physics, materials science, and engineering.