Slovak teen who would love to get into science

In summary: However, I think genetics and molecular cytology would be the best place to start.Biochemistry is a good place to start, but genetics and molecular cytology are definitely better. Genetics and molecular cytology are also more specialized, so it would be good to specialize in that area.The education in my country is terrible and I hardly know anything about actual science. Especially Maths and Physics. I did not have a decent lesson of Physics in what? 2 years?That sounds like a really difficult time for you. However, you should not let that stop you. You should continue with your education, and join a forum like this to get help. I think that's the best thing you can do.
Kristina H
So I am a 17 years old girl from Slovak Republic. Central Europe, or Eastern. I do not really know, classifications differ. Forgive me for my grammar and spelling (I use UK spelling because that is what I have learned in school.)
I am one year away from "maturita", aka exams in my country that will finish my high school education. I visit gymnasium, which is like a general school here? It prepares for further study on university, and does not specialize. But... well. The education in my country is terrible and I hardly know anything about actual science. Especially Maths and Physics. I did not have a decent lesson of Physics in what? 2 years? Our current teacher enjoys talking about morality, football and women who do not belong in science too much.
And that is why I joined this forum! Because I like knowledge and I like science, but I have no idea where to start my self-education. I really want to study genetics and molecular cytology. Biochemistry.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have just signed up in this forum ,and I am on your same boat too (I am on a gap year and I haven't someone to help me)! Don't let your environment stop you and let the love of knowledge be your guide !

By the way,welcome !

Please remove the "stupid" in the title. It doesn't do you justice.

Welcome!

Likes Merlin3189 and Greg Bernhardt
Hello! I am pretty nervous replying as I have this nasty social awkwardness... But thank you for the answers!
I feel really uncomfortable removing stupid from the title, because it does describe the reality. My education is currently really low and I am really trying to rectify that, but for now, my knowledge remains shallow.

Kristina H said:
Hello! I am pretty nervous replying as I have this nasty social awkwardness...
I believe you are not unique in this regard.

Kristina H said:
I feel really uncomfortable removing stupid from the title, because it does describe the reality. My education is currently really low and I am really trying to rectify that, but for now, my knowledge remains shallow.
That's up to you, of course. However, in my opinion being stupid and lacking knowledge are two different things. In particular, the latter does not imply the former.

Likes Merlin3189
Welcome, I myself recently joined, I have similar circumstances where I am behind the course I am attending , though our school system is great in Sweden. Due to personal reasons I quit school and threw myself a few months ago back into school ^•^

Hello! Wow Sweden - I really want to go there once in my life. I wish you luck!

Likes Farhad-.-
Good luck to you. I think you've come to a good place. Lots of people will be very happy to help you.
It will be good to have more discussion on Biology as well as the Physics and Maths.

Likes Kristina H

1. What inspired you to pursue a career in science?

I have always been curious about the world around me and have a strong passion for learning. Science allows me to explore and understand the world through a systematic and evidence-based approach, which I find fascinating.

2. What specific field of science are you interested in?

At the moment, I am most interested in biology and genetics. The study of living organisms and their genetic makeup is a constantly evolving field with many practical applications in medicine and agriculture.

3. How do you plan to achieve your goal of getting into science?

I am currently focusing on excelling in my science and math courses in high school and participating in extracurricular activities such as science fairs and clubs. I also plan on pursuing a degree in a science-related field in college to further my knowledge and skills.

4. What challenges do you think you will face as a Slovak teen trying to get into science?

I believe that language barriers and limited resources may be challenges I will face as a Slovak teen. However, I am determined to overcome these obstacles by seeking out opportunities and resources, and continuously improving my language skills.

5. How do you hope to make an impact in the scientific community?

I hope to contribute to scientific research and advancements through my work. Additionally, I am passionate about promoting diversity and inclusivity in the scientific community, and I hope to inspire and mentor other young people, especially those from underrepresented backgrounds, to pursue careers in science.