Small scale application of structural cross sections

In summary, the speaker is working on fixing a bowed cedar chest lid made of 3/4" walnut with ribbing on top. They are considering adding in C-channel or square tubing to straighten the depth, but as a chemical engineer, they do not have the knowledge to calculate the best material and cross section. They have a thickness restriction of 3/8" and are considering 2-3/4" wide bars. The speaker has found various options, but their height and length constraints limit their choices. They are considering using 2000 or 7000 grade aluminum, but are unsure if stainless steel or 6061 aluminum would be strong enough. They also mention the importance of maximizing the EI product for stiffness and
Manta173
I am working on fixing a heavy walnut cedar chest lid that has bowed convexly from the chest. It is about 1/4" high in the center of a 24" deep lid. The lid is ~2' x 5'. It is made from 3/4" walnut with 3/4" x 3" ribbing on the top.

I thought that adding in some C-channel or square tubing would be the easiest way to straighten the depth of the lid. Unfortunately I am a chemical engineer and do not have the references to calculate which material and which cross section would be the most resistant to mild flexing. I also have a thickness restriction of 3/8" (1/2" is the absolute limit) in order to properly hide the material underneath wooden decoration. The width can be as wide as 1.5". but I was thinking that 2 -3/4" pieces may provide more bend resistance.

I have found various sites supplying different configurations of cross section but the small height and the short length (24") have restricted my options. I think a 2000 or 7000 grade of aluminum would be a good fit, but they only seem to exist in bar form and not a structural cross section. Would stainless steel or 6061 aluminum be strong enough? or should I go for the bars?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is needed for stiffness is to maximize the EI product, the product of Young's modulus and area moment of inertia. Thus, steel will be a better choice than aluminum because of a much higher Young's modulus.

Your height constraints make it very difficult to get much improvement in I which is usually done by going to taller sections. So, bars look like your best bet. Use the thickest bars that will fit.

1. What is a small scale application of structural cross sections?

A small scale application of structural cross sections refers to the use of structural cross sections on a smaller scale, such as in the design of individual components or small structures. This can include things like beams, columns, and trusses.

2. Why are structural cross sections important in small scale applications?

Structural cross sections are important in small scale applications because they help to determine the strength and stability of a structure. By analyzing the cross section of a component, engineers can determine the load-bearing capacity and make necessary design decisions to ensure the safety and functionality of the structure.

3. How are structural cross sections used in small scale applications?

In small scale applications, structural cross sections are typically used in the design process to determine the dimensions and materials needed for a component or structure. They can also be used in structural analysis software to simulate and test the performance of the design.

4. What factors should be considered when selecting a structural cross section for a small scale application?

Some factors to consider when selecting a structural cross section for a small scale application include the load-bearing capacity, desired strength and stiffness, material availability and cost, and the specific requirements of the application. It is important to choose a cross section that can support the expected loads and meet the design criteria.

5. Can structural cross sections be customized for small scale applications?

Yes, structural cross sections can be customized for small scale applications. Depending on the specific design requirements and constraints, engineers may need to modify the dimensions, shape, or material of a standard cross section to meet the needs of the application. This customization allows for more efficient and effective designs for small scale structures.