So I want to learn a martial art.

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Art
In summary: Because I would lose. He's a professional fighter and I'm not. Third, if you want to learn martial arts, learn something that is meant for self-defense. There are plenty of types of martial arts that will do that. karate, jujitsu, boxing, tae kwon do, etc. Just make sure you pick the right one for you.
mathwonk said:
i think the point i would like to make is: martial arts are a sport, fighting is not. do not get in fights just because you are a trained martial artist. someone may still take a piece out of you. those of us who are older have lost friends this way, and alcohol was frequently involved.

even if it only happens once out of a hundred, if its your friend, you never forget.

this is good advice. unless you know the person your fighting against (aka not running away from), the person could be crazy. they could have a knife, a gun, friends near by who don't care about a 'fair fight', the person might chomp a finger or ear off, or want to mutilate you if you get knocked out by chance.

sparring can be quite fun though

Physics news on Phys.org
Not a physics student, Googling and thought I'd butt in.

Don't worry as much about finding a superior art as finding a superior teacher in any art. Any MA training will start you on the road, but there's a difference between teachers who see your MA potential and teachers who see you for your income potential.

Your plain boring old YMCA judo class is a great place to start, and very inexpensively, too. But you won't be bored for long. Grappling with well matched ukes is as complete an exercise program as there is. You won't need to lift weights, and you won't need to run. You'll just need to recover, lol. You will see big gains in strength and endurance early on. If he has a Kodokan lineage he likely has a lot of striking and kicking techniques in his program.

My first MA class was in 1976 when I walked into a Kenpo Karate class in Florida. I took it to second degree black, and it's a very excellent, holistic style, circular and powerful. I wanted more, but I wasn't sure what. Then I got exposed to tiger kung fu styles like hark fu kuen and hei hu quan...not for everyone, but for me, took everything to a different level. Brings out the animal in you...and that's not the half of it...

Some people like things more linear, more science and logic dictating response rather than art and intangibles, more cut-to-the-chase, for them Shotokan and Goju are strong styles. Kyokushinkai is a rough style and it's a no joke fighter's style...it's founder, Mas Oyama, killed young bulls with bare hands...I think there are old 50's B&W footage of some of his unarmed bullfights on YouTube...

I'd say get into judo, get physically fit, talk to the judo instructor, he's probably knowedgable as to the MA classes in your area. Be very frank as to what you're looking for. Just like in college you can sit in on a class, check out some MA teachers and sit in on their classes.

Good luck...the closest I ever got to studying physics was watching Carl Sagan's COSMOS a loooong time ago...before I got all these grey hairs. I didn't understand half of it, but it didn't stop me from watching it fifty times.

Last edited by a moderator:
do mma, it's the only thing that will truly prepare you for a streetfight.

It really comes down to your instructor.

Find someone who has a heavy background getting into real fights. If you can find a good instructor in the Bujinkan, then you will have everything you need. Unfortunately, there are a TON of ****ty instructors who will teach you magic, and they do not have any practical experience. However, there are some excellent instructors, that teach you how to use weapons from day one. They teach you survival, not fighting techniques.

Most Karate, Taekwondo, Mua Tai, etc... schools are SPORT. They have NOTHING to do with defending yourself. A lot of MMA schools are the same, but they will prepare you A LOT more than most other schools. However, as Cyrus pointed out, a weapon changes the game.

If you really want to learn to protect yourself, get a concealed weapons permit. If you cannot or do not want to do this, look into Knife fighting. Someone skilled in using a Knife will win against anyone not skilled in using a gun.

Like someone pointed out, getting yourself into Boxing will let you knock out most Joe Blows. However, there are people out there who can really take punches, and who are just plain stronger than you. This is where intelligent fighting is important. This is where non-sport fighting is important.

Shop around at different schools. Find an instructor who has a no nonsense approach to their art. Someone with a strong military background, or maybe a bouncer is a good candidate.

Systema is another interesting art, however, there are some nutballs teaching it. Probably your safest bet for getting in shape is boxing. Your safest bet for taking on most Joe Blows is MMA (don't get too cocky though). For survival, it comes down to gun or knife - be prepared for serious serious jail offense here though (actually most non-sport arts can land you in jail). Mua Tai, Bujinkan (IF! you have a good instructor - big, big, big IF here) are also good arts. Watch out for Krav Maga... I've seen so many money hungry shops, that teach **** self defense.

Find someone who doesn't make you sign a contract! Find someone who cares about their art, and is NOT corporate like so many hack ass Karate schools (these are probably what Cyrus is thinking of). Find a school who deals with weapons. There is a lot to consider. So consider it.

ice109 said:
do mma, it's the only thing that will truly prepare you for a streetfight.

Bull ****.

There is no ONLY thing. Each art has a weakness, and a strength.