Soap and water not suitable for washing paint thinner off?

In summary, paint thinner is a useful tool for cleaning tough stains on tiles, but it leaves a lingering smell on hands even after multiple washings with soap. There is concern about the effect on skin and it seems that soap and water are not effective in removing it. However, using a liquid soap without water and following a similar sequence to surgeons scrubbing up can help remove it quickly. It is also recommended to apply baby oil or hand cream afterwards.
forum23
I found paint thinner (aka. mineral spirits in US, white spirit in UK) very useful in cleaning tough stains on tiles, etc. However I notice that even after washing my hand several times and rubbing for a long time with soap the smell of the paint thinner does not go away from my hands.
I'm a bit worried about the effect on my skin.
Anyone know what happens when you try to wash paint thinner off your hands with soap and water? It seems to be not effective in getting it off. Thanx

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It washes off eventually with ordinary soap and water .

Much better and quicker though to use a liquid soap without water , work hands together in an approximation to the surgeons scrubbing up sequence , rinse off and then wash again normally .

Best to apply some baby oil or hand cream after getting clean .

1. Can soap and water remove paint thinner from skin?

No, soap and water are not effective in removing paint thinner from skin. Paint thinner is a strong chemical solvent that cannot be washed away with just soap and water.

2. What should I do if I accidentally get paint thinner on my skin?

If you accidentally get paint thinner on your skin, you should immediately wash the affected area with soap and water. Then, seek medical attention if you experience any irritation or discomfort.

3. Why is soap and water not suitable for washing off paint thinner?

Paint thinner is made up of strong chemical solvents that are not easily dissolved by soap and water. These solvents can penetrate the skin and cause irritation or even damage.

4. Are there any alternative methods for removing paint thinner from skin?

Yes, there are alternative methods for removing paint thinner from skin. These include using rubbing alcohol, vinegar, or a specialized paint thinner remover. It is important to always read and follow the instructions on these products carefully.

5. How can I prevent getting paint thinner on my skin?

To prevent getting paint thinner on your skin, it is important to wear protective gloves and clothing when handling paint thinner. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area and to be cautious when pouring or transferring the paint thinner.