Radius of Curvature at Soap Bubble Contact Point

In summary, the problem involves finding the radius of curvature of the point of contact between two soap bubbles of different radii, r and R. The solution involves using the concept of surface tension and pressure difference between the inside and outside of the bubbles. The common radius over their area of contact is also relevant in finding the answer.
vkash
Two soap bubbles of radius r and R are in touch find the radius of curvature of their point of contact?
(Both bubbles are touching each other with their external surfaces)

I have no idea about this question. can you please try to help>

Physics news on Phys.org

What do you know about surface tension?

Dadface said:
What do you know about surface tension?
No info about surface tension. even answer is in terms r and R.
If you think it can't be done without data related to surface tension then assume that to be S.
answer in book may be wrong...

So do you know the answer?

Dadface said:
So do you know the answer?
yeah;
It's answer is given in book. But book doesn't provide procedure.

Surface tension does come into it but in this problem it cancels out.Have you studied surface tension?

Dadface said:
Surface tension does come into it but in this problem it cancels out.Have you studied surface tension?

yes. (I have read surface tension,angle of contact, capillarity, pressure inside a soap and liquid bubble,change in energy when surface expand or collapse).
How do you approach to this question?

Good,so you should know that the pressure inside a bubble is greater than the pressure outside.Now apply that pressure difference formula to the bubbles when they are in contact.There are three radii of relevance r,R and the common radius over their area of contact.

Dadface said:
Good,so you should know that the pressure inside a bubble is greater than the pressure outside.Now apply that pressure difference formula to the bubbles when they are in contact.There are three radii of relevance r,R and the common radius over their area of contact.
Wow!
great;
i have got the answer.
thanks for helping me.

vkash said:
Wow!
great;
i have got the answer.
thanks for helping me.

if u have understood pls help me too i haven't understand nythin abt the common radii

What is the radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble?

The radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble is the distance from the center of the bubble to the point where the bubble touches a surface or another bubble.

How is the radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble calculated?

The radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble can be calculated using the Young-Laplace equation, which takes into account the surface tension and pressure difference between the inside and outside of the bubble.

What does the radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble tell us?

The radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble is a measure of the curvature of the bubble's surface at that point. It can also provide information about the surface tension and pressure inside the bubble.

How does the radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble change as the bubble grows or shrinks?

As a soap bubble grows, the radius of curvature at the contact point decreases, meaning the bubble becomes more spherical. As it shrinks, the radius of curvature increases, causing the bubble to become more flattened.

Why is the radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble important in studying soap films and bubbles?

The radius of curvature at the contact point of a soap bubble affects the stability and behavior of the bubble. It is also crucial in understanding the physics behind soap films and bubbles, and has applications in various industries such as soap making and bubble technology.