Soccer 'Heading': Calculating Impulse of a Ball

In summary, a recent study has raised concerns about heading in youth soccer and the impact it has on players. The problem at hand is to determine the magnitude of the impulse a player imparts on a size 4 ball when heading it at a constant speed of 19.60 m/s and deflecting it by 38.0 degrees. By drawing a vector diagram and considering the change in momentum, the correct answer is found to be 3.85 kg*m/s.
nicknaq

Homework Statement

Recent studies have raised concern about `heading' in youth soccer (i.e., hitting the ball with the head). A soccer player `heads' a size 4 ball, deflecting it by 38.0 deg, but keeping its speed of 19.60 m/s constant. A size 4 ball has a mass of approximately 0.302 kg. What is the magnitude of the impulse which the player imparts to the ball?
CORRECT ANSWER: 3.85 kg*m/s

Homework Equations

p=mv
draw a vector diagram

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a vector diagram with the vector p=mv=5.9 going in the +x direction. I then drew the deflection of 38 degrees going in the negative and positive direction.

Ok so I found the hypotenuse (the redirection) to be 7.48.

Then I thought it would be 7.48-5.9, but alas, nope.

Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
bumpidity

nicknaq said:
bumpidity
The impulse on a given object is the change in momentum on that given object.

But don't forget, momentum is a vector and needs to be treated as such.
I drew a vector diagram with the vector p=mv=5.9 going in the +x direction. I then drew the deflection of 38 degrees going in the negative and positive direction.

Ok so I found the hypotenuse (the redirection) to be 7.48.
No, that's not quite right. The problem statement says, "...deflecting it by 38.0 deg, but keeping its speed of 19.60 m/s constant."

So the hypotenuse of momentum after the collision is still (0.302 [kg])(19.60 [m/s]). The hypotenuse is unchanged in magnitude.

However, what did change is the momentum vector's direction. So allow me to ask,
  • What is the momentum vector after the collision?
  • What is the momentum vector before the collision?
  • What is the difference between the two (i.e. the change in momentum)? [Hint: this involves subtracting vectors, not scalars. :wink:]
  • What is the magnitude of this change?

Related to Soccer 'Heading': Calculating Impulse of a Ball

1. What is "heading" in soccer?

"Heading" in soccer refers to the act of using one's head to redirect the ball during gameplay. It is a common technique used to control the ball and pass it to teammates.

2. Why is it important to calculate the impulse of a ball during a heading play?

Calculating the impulse of a ball during a heading play can help determine the force and direction of the ball, which can be useful in predicting the movement and trajectory of the ball. This information can be helpful for players in positioning themselves and anticipating the ball's path.

3. How is the impulse of a ball during a heading play calculated?

The impulse of a ball during a heading play is calculated by multiplying the force of the ball by the time it is in contact with the player's head. This can be represented by the equation I = F x t (impulse = force x time).

4. What factors can affect the impulse of a ball during a heading play?

The impulse of a ball during a heading play can be affected by various factors, such as the speed and direction of the ball, the angle and surface area of contact with the head, and the mass and momentum of the player. Other external factors like wind and air resistance can also impact the impulse of the ball.

5. How can knowing the impulse of a ball during a heading play improve player performance?

Knowing the impulse of a ball during a heading play can improve player performance by allowing them to better control and redirect the ball, as well as anticipate its movement. It can also help players understand the strength and accuracy of their headers, and make adjustments to improve their technique.