Sodium concentration during action potential generation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concentration of Na+ ions inside and outside the cell and how it affects the flow of ions and the membrane potential. There is also a discussion about negative charged proteins and their role in cell potential. There is also mention of other factors that can influence cell potential, such as ion pumps and organelles. The conversation ends with a suggestion to discuss with a teacher regarding conflicting information in exams.
Conductivity
JmC48.gif
'
At the peak of the graph, Is the concentration of Na outside the cell is more than inside? because that must be to overcome the electrical force in the opposite direction but my book says that that inside the cell there are more Na than outside

When is the concentration of Na+ greatest inside the cell? At the peak assuming the Na+ channel close immediately at it then it is also greatest at 3. If there is still passage of Na+ then 3 is the maximum ( Is that right?)

One last question, is the inside of membrane actually negative, or only negative relative to the outside? In a galvanic cell for example, a given rod isn't actually negative, but it is negative relative to another.

Then why do they say that there are some negative proteins inside the cell that makes the negative charge?

Biology news on Phys.org
Conductivity said:
At the peak of the graph, Is the concentration of Na outside the cell is more than inside? because that must be to overcome the electrical force in the opposite direction but my book says that that inside the cell there are more Na than outside
The Na+ inflow is driven by concentration. Normally, it remains higher outside. Your book may have a typo or be talking about some unhealthy situation.
The difference in the concentration of Na+ ions across the membrane drives the flow of the ions across the membrane. The flow of ions (charges) through a type pf channel will drive the change in membrane potential.

Point 3 on the diagram is poorly drawn. Earlier points showed the Na+ ions flowing up through their channels. The K+ flow should be in the opposite direction which would be down in a better drawn diagram. The pump directions make sense.

Conductivity said:
is the inside of membrane actually negative, or only negative relative to the outside? In a galvanic cell for example, a given rod isn't actually negative, but it is negative relative to another.

The measurements (between two electrodes) are made with a bath ground and an electrode inserted into a cell. The bath ground is electrically continuous with the outside of the cell in most cases. The other electrode is on the other side of the membrane. Its that measurement, relative across the membrane. That's also what the voltage sensitive ions channels sense, the potential across the membrane.
Multiple electrodes in a dish would be compared to a common ground, in most cases.

BillTre said:
The Na+ inflow is driven by concentration. Normally, it remains higher outside. Your book may have a typo or be talking about some unhealthy situation.
The difference in the concentration of Na+ ions across the membrane drives the flow of the ions across the membrane. The flow of ions (charges) through a type pf channel will drive the change in membrane potential.

Point 3 on the diagram is poorly drawn. Earlier points showed the Na+ ions flowing up through their channels. The K+ flow should be in the opposite direction which would be down in a better drawn diagram. The pump directions make sense.
The diagram is actually from hyperphysics not my book.

The problem is in our exams they say that at the highest voltage the Na+ concentration is higher inside the cell which I know that is wrong and you confirmed it. Not sure what I should do now because they will probably give me a wrong answer if I type that it is higher outside

BillTre said:
The measurements (between two electrodes) are made with a bath ground and an electrode inserted into a cell. The bath ground is electrically continuous with the outside of the cell in most cases. The other electrode is on the other side of the membrane. Its that measurement, relative across the membrane. That's also what the voltage sensitive ions channels sense, the potential across the membrane.
Multiple electrodes in a dish would be compared to a common ground, in most cases.

Might not have understood what I meant. I was talking about why there is a negative charges inside. Some say that it is because the negative proteins inside the cell. Do they actually outnumber the positive charges inside? Or do they say that it is negative relative to the outside of the cell and the proteins just contribute to the voltage?

Conductivity said:
The problem is in our exams they say that at the highest voltage the Na+ concentration is higher inside the cell which I know that is wrong and you confirmed it. Not sure what I should do now because they will probably give me a wrong answer if I type that it is higher outside
Discuss with your teacher.

Conductivity said:
I was talking about why there is a negative charges inside. Some say that it is because the negative proteins inside the cell. Do they actually outnumber the positive charges inside? Or do they say that it is negative relative to the outside of the cell and the proteins just contribute to the voltage?
I would guess the proteins only contribute to the potential. There are other things besides negatively charged proteins that can influence cell potential, like non-neutral ion pumps, leak currents (constant current flows across the membrane), and other ion distributions such as Cl-.

There are also organelles like mitochondria and chloroplasts that maintain their own potential offset from that of the cell in which they reside, which in turn is offset from the outside of the cell. The mitochondria potential is maintained by pumping of H+ ions.

The anions in the cell are molecules (generally proteins) that have extra electrons on them. The total cation charge is approximately equal to the total anion charge both inside and outside the neuron when at rest. The -60 resting potential is due to the diffusive "force" on the ions, not a charge difference.

Conductivity said:
The diagram is actually from hyperphysics not my book.

At time point 3, the sodium concentration is highest in the cell. That is correct, if we are comparing the sodium concentration in the cell at time point 3 to the sodium concentration in the cell at other times.

On the other hand, the sodium concentration outside the cell is always higher than the sodium concentration inside the cell, even at time point 3.

When the cell is at rest, ie. the potential inside the cell is -70 mV relative to the outside of the cell, then it is true that the inside of the cell has more negative charge than positive charge. The outside of the cell is essentially Na+Cl-, the inside essentially K+A-, where A- are negatively charged species such as proteins. At rest, the membrane is mainly permeable to K+, so some K+ inside the cell leaves to the outside due to K+ concentration being lower on the outside, until the equilibrium membrane potential difference for K+ is reached. Since the K+ leaves the cell, but A- does not leave the cell, there is unbalanced negative A- in the cell.

Last edited:
Likes Conductivity
atyy said:
At time point 3, the sodium concentration is highest in the cell. That is correct, if we are comparing the sodium concentration in the cell at time point 3 to the sodium concentration in the cell at other times.

On the other hand, the sodium concentration outside the cell is always higher than the sodium concentration inside the cell, even at time point 3.

When the cell is at rest, ie. the potential inside the cell is -70 mV relative to the outside of the cell, then it is true that the inside of the cell has more negative charge than positive charge. The outside of the cell is essentially Na+Cl-, the inside essentially K+A-, where A- are negatively charged species such as proteins. At rest, the membrane is mainly permeable to K+, so some K+ inside the cell leaves to the outside due to K+ concentration being lower on the outside, until the equilibrium membrane potential difference for K+ is reached. Since the K+ leaves the cell, but A- does not leave the cell, there is unbalanced negative A- in the cell.

Thank you so much for the clarification. Really appreciate it.

And thank you Pythagorean and BillTre.

1. What is the role of sodium concentration in action potential generation?

Sodium concentration plays a crucial role in action potential generation as it is responsible for the initial depolarization of the cell membrane. When a stimulus is received, sodium channels open and allow sodium ions to enter the cell, causing a shift in the overall charge and initiating the action potential.

2. How does sodium concentration affect the duration of an action potential?

The concentration of sodium ions directly impacts the duration of an action potential. Higher levels of sodium will result in a faster rate of depolarization and a shorter action potential, while lower levels of sodium will lead to a slower rate of depolarization and a longer action potential.

3. How does the sodium concentration gradient affect the propagation of an action potential?

The sodium concentration gradient, which refers to the difference in sodium concentration inside and outside the cell, is essential for the propagation of an action potential. As the action potential travels down the axon, the influx of sodium ions at one point causes a depolarization that triggers the opening of sodium channels at the next point, allowing the action potential to continue down the axon.

4. What happens to sodium concentration during the refractory period?

During the refractory period, the sodium concentration inside the cell decreases due to the opening of potassium channels and the outflow of potassium ions. This allows the cell to return to its resting state and prevents the generation of another action potential until the membrane potential is restored.

5. How does the sodium-potassium pump maintain the balance of sodium concentration during action potential generation?

The sodium-potassium pump is responsible for actively transporting sodium ions out of the cell and potassium ions into the cell, thus maintaining the balance of sodium concentration. This pump requires energy in the form of ATP and helps to restore the original sodium concentration levels after an action potential has occurred.