Software for Drawing biological processes & systems

In summary, the speaker is looking for software that can be used to draw biological processes and pathways, similar to engineering or programming software. They would like the ability to use different colors and shapes for different components, such as signaling molecules and transport proteins. They have tried using Simulink, draw.io, and yED, but found them to be limited. They are seeking recommendations for software that is specialized for biology, offers more freedom in diagram generation, and is used by molecular biologists and biochemists. The suggestion given is Cytoscape, a network and diagram tool commonly used in biology applications.
Jarfi
Looking for software for drawing biological processes and pathways between cells or even tissues. I have engineering/programming/control systems experience so I am looking for something similar in biology.

The ability to define different things, different colors or shapes would be good, I noticed a lot of databases have nothing but arrows and nodes and lack symbol diversity. Symbols for Signaling molecules, Transport proteins, Receptor, Phosphorylation, methylation and so fourth would be nice.

Im currently using Simulink for control systems and have been using draw.io and yED for drawing biology diagrams but they are limited and not specialized for bio.

Any good software for biological systems? What are molecular biologists and biochemists here using? I need something for extensive documentation, mapping and so fourth but I'd like some more freedom than just arrows and nodes to generate diagrams.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Not sure it's what you are looking for, but Cytoscape is a network/diagram tool and is used for a lot of biology applications. Might be worth taking a look.

1. What is software for drawing biological processes and systems?

Software for drawing biological processes and systems is a computer program that allows scientists to create visual representations of biological processes and systems, such as metabolic pathways, gene regulatory networks, and cellular structures.

2. What are the benefits of using software for drawing biological processes and systems?

Using software for drawing biological processes and systems allows for more accurate and detailed representations of complex biological systems. It also allows for easy sharing and collaboration among scientists, and can help with data visualization and analysis.

3. What features should I look for in software for drawing biological processes and systems?

Some key features to look for include the ability to create custom shapes and symbols, import data and images, annotate and label diagrams, and create animations or interactive diagrams. It is also important to consider compatibility with other programs and ease of use.

4. Are there any free options for software for drawing biological processes and systems?

Yes, there are several free options available, such as BioRender, PathVisio, and Cytoscape. These programs offer a variety of features and can be a great option for those on a budget.

5. Can software for drawing biological processes and systems be used for educational purposes?

Yes, many software programs for drawing biological processes and systems have educational versions or features that are specifically designed for teaching and learning. These can be useful for creating diagrams for presentations or for students to use in their studies.