Solar Eclipse - Are we just lucky?

In summary: It has to do with the tidal interaction between the Moon and Earth. As the Moon raises tides on the Earth it slows the Earth's rotation. In turn some of the Energy lost by the Earth is transferred to the Moon, pushing it into an higher orbit. The present of orbital increase is ~3.8cm per year.... but it could also go either way.
cramdogs
Looking at the earth-moon-sun system, it just so happens that:

. The sun is ~400 times the size of our moon
. Our moon is ~400 times further away from the sun than from the earth

The sun and moon look ~ the same size from Earth and hence during alignment, allows the almost perfect conditions for total solar eclipses with spectacular full corona viewing.

Was the earth-moon-sun system always bound to have this almost perfect distance/size ratio, or are we just extremely lucky.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
IMHO we are just lucky.

But could there is some explanation. I see it in the same category as Titius–Bode law - it is either a coincidence, or there is some deeper reason.

It's hardly perfect (whatever "perfect" means). Because the orbits are not in exactly in alignment we get partial, annular and hybrid eclipses more often than total thanks to the variance in the Moon's orbit. Also thanks to the moon's rugged surface we get a phenomenon known as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baily's_beads]Baily's[/PLAIN] beads.

I would shy away from the term "perfect" because it implies that there is some ideal that a system should aspire to. In reality the Moon is the way it is thanks to it's formation and it's orbit. Remember that the Moon as we see it is a lot further away than it used to be. IIRC when it first formed it was three times closer and is edging further away all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
cramdogs said:
Looking at the earth-moon-sun system, it just so happens that:

. The sun is ~400 times the size of our moon
. Our moon is ~400 times further away from the sun than from the earth

The sun and moon look ~ the same size from Earth and hence during alignment, allows the almost perfect conditions for total solar eclipses with spectacular full corona viewing.

Was the earth-moon-sun system always bound to have this almost perfect distance/size ratio, or are we just extremely lucky.

Due to the eccentricity of both the Moon's and Earth's orbits, there is some variation between the Sun's and Moon's apparent size. Sometimes the moon is a bit larger than the Sun and sometimes it is a bit smaller.

This last case is what leads to the annular eclipses mentioned in the previous post. The Moon, even when centered on the Sun, cannot cover the whole and we see a ring or "annulus" around the Moon caused by the Sun peaking around the edges.

ryan_m_b said:
It's hardly perfect (whatever "perfect" means). Because the orbits are not in exactly in alignment we get partial, annular and hybrid eclipses more often than total thanks to the variance in the Moon's orbit. Also thanks to the moon's rugged surface we get a phenomenon known as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baily's_beads]Baily's[/PLAIN] beads.

I would shy away from the term "perfect" because it implies that there is some ideal that a system should aspire to. In reality the Moon is the way it is thanks to it's formation and it's orbit. Remember that the Moon as we see it is a lot further away than it used to be. IIRC when it first formed it was three times closer and is edging further away all the time.

well i used almost perfect quite loosely. Even with the orbital variance, I find it quite amazing that we have this system in a fine window where these total solar eclipses with full veiwable coronas are possible. Or maybe the window isn't as 'fine' as I think...

I just wondered if for some reason this distance/size ratio for the earth-moon-sun system was 'favoured' during its formation or say after millions of years, the system wanted to approach this setup. But yes, the evidence that the moon is slowly receeding away from Earth possibly indicates that the conclusion to make, is that simply we are lucky to experience such an event!

Last edited by a moderator:
ryan_m_b said:
Remember that the Moon as we see it is a lot further away than it used to be. IIRC when it first formed it was three times closer and is edging further away all the time.

I didn't know that!
Afaik the moon's orbit is unstable, it may edge further away, but it also may get closer. It may even impact on earth!
Do you have any basis for your statement?

I like Serena said:
I didn't know that!
Afaik the moon's orbit is unstable, it may edge further away, but it also may get closer. It may even impact on earth!

It has to do with the tidal interaction between the Moon and Earth. As the Moon raises tides on the Earth it slows the Earth's rotation. In turn some of the Energy lost by the Earth is transferred to the Moon, pushing it into an higher orbit. The present of orbital increase is ~3.8cm per year.

http://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/SEhelp/ApolloLaser.html

I like Serena said:
I didn't know that!

What Janus said. The moon is receding from Earth and in the process slows down the Earth's spin. I'm afraid I don't have a link from where I heard it (it was a documentary years ago) but IIRC the day length on Earth was much shorter too.

Not only day was shorter, as a side effect year had more days - and effects are visible in fossils.

Borek said:
Not only day was shorter, as a side effect year had more days - and effects are visible in fossils.

Is it? That makes sense lol. I didn't know we could discern how many days in a year from fossils.

Drakkith said:
Is it? That makes sense lol. I didn't know we could discern how many days in a year from fossils.

In some fossils there are tow kinds of growth rings - daily ones and yearly ones. That allows calculation of how many days per year. I think it was done using diatoms frustules.

I have read about it in one of von Ditfurth books.

Ah ok. Thanks Borek.

1. What is a solar eclipse?

A solar eclipse occurs when the moon passes between the sun and the Earth, blocking some or all of the sun's light and casting a shadow on the Earth's surface.

2. How often do solar eclipses occur?

Solar eclipses occur about every 18 months, but they are only visible from a specific location about every 375 years on average. This is due to the alignment of the sun, moon, and Earth.

3. Why are solar eclipses considered lucky?

Solar eclipses are often seen as lucky because they are rare and awe-inspiring events. They also have a significant impact on the Earth's atmosphere, weather patterns, and animal behavior, making them a source of wonder and fascination.

4. Are we just lucky to witness a solar eclipse?

No, we are not just lucky. The occurrence of a solar eclipse is a result of precise astronomical alignments and predictable patterns. While they are rare and special events, they can be predicted and studied by scientists.

5. What can we learn from studying solar eclipses?

Studying solar eclipses can teach us about the movements and interactions of the sun, moon, and Earth, as well as their effects on our planet. They also provide valuable insights into the nature of the universe and help us better understand our place in it.