Solar Power - Photovoltiac cell confusion

In summary, PV cells in solar panels work by utilizing a PN junction diode with a conductive connection between the P and N materials. When photons from light strike the cell, an electron forms in the N material and a hole forms in the P material. The electron travels through the conductive material, through a load, and into the P material where it combines with the hole. However, the question arises as to why the many electrons and holes in the materials don't just meet and cause the cell to return to its initial state.
examorph
I have been trying to understand how PV cells work in solar panels and have become a bit confused, here is what I have read so far:

The PV cell is basically a PN junction diode with a conductive connection on the P and N material between this connection there is a load, a lamp for example, the Photon from the light strikes the PV cell and causes a electron to form in the N material and a hole to form in the P material, the electron wants to get to the hole so it goes through the conductive material which is joining the two P and N materials, through the load and into the P material where it joins together with the hole.

What I don't understand is, there are many electrons in the N material and many holes in the P material, what is stopping these from meeting, I mean the only combination of holes and electrons seems to be coming from the photons and not the electrons and holes which were formed from the doping, I would have thought that if you connected a wire from the P side to the N side all the electrons and holes would meet and cause the cell or diode to change back to its initial semiconductor state.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the difference between solar power and photovoltaic cells?

Solar power refers to the conversion of sunlight into electricity. Photovoltaic cells, also known as solar cells, are the technology used to convert sunlight into electricity. So, solar power is the end result, while photovoltaic cells are the means to achieve it.

2. How do photovoltaic cells work?

Photovoltaic cells are made of semiconductor materials, such as silicon, that can convert sunlight into electricity. When sunlight hits the cell, it causes a flow of electrons, creating an electric current. This current can then be used to power electronic devices or be stored in a battery.

3. Are photovoltaic cells the same as solar panels?

No, photovoltaic cells are the individual units that convert sunlight into electricity. Solar panels, on the other hand, are made up of multiple photovoltaic cells connected together and are used to generate a larger amount of electricity.

4. Can photovoltaic cells work without direct sunlight?

Yes, photovoltaic cells can still generate electricity on cloudy days or in indirect sunlight. However, the amount of electricity produced will be lower compared to when they are exposed to direct sunlight.

5. What are the advantages of using photovoltaic cells for solar power?

There are several advantages of using photovoltaic cells for solar power. They are a renewable source of energy, produce no emissions, and have low maintenance costs. They also have a longer lifespan compared to other energy sources and can be installed in remote locations.