Solid-State Acid-Base Reaction?

• Thread starter Qube
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary: Extent: largeThe Attempt at a SolutionWait, what?Can acid-base reactions occur in the solid-state or in the gaseous state? Is this what the problem is implying? I don't see any issue sticking solid ammonium to solid fluoride as long as there is no water present as a solvent. I thought acid-base reactions occur only in solution.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Which of the following CAN be made as a pure substance?

Choices are a list of molecular salts.

Homework Equations

According to my teacher the salt cannot be made as a pure substance if the components undergo a large extent acid-base reaction.

The correct choice was [itex]H_{4}NF[/itex] (this can exist as a pure substance).

The Attempt at a Solution

Wait, what?

Can acid-base reactions occur in the solid-state or in the gaseous state? Is this what the problem is implying? I don't see any issue sticking solid ammonium to solid fluoride as long as there is no water present as a solvent.

I thought acid-base reactions occur only in solution.

The correct answer according to my teacher is [itex]H_{4}NF[/itex] and the rationale is that the below reaction is small extent (note that the product acid is stronger than the reactant acid). Thus [itex]H_{4}NF[/itex] can exist as a pure substance.

[itex]H_{4}N^{+} + F^{-} \leftrightharpoons H_{3}N + HF; Extent: small[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Fluorine is a gas at STP. IDK where you get solid fluorine from. Hydrogen fluoride HF is also a gas, as is ammonia NH3.

A/B reactions can occur in the gaseous state?

I think I put solid down because some of the salts were solids at STP (I believe). But you're right, fluorine and the other things I listed are gaseous at STP.

No idea what the question is about, no idea what your teacher means, but the most important problem is: no idea what definition of "pure substance" is at use here.

Do you remember substances listed and exact wording of the problem?

uploadfromtaptalk1390575666520.jpg

That is one question. Do you see what he's saying?

Also Hen is short for...
uploadfromtaptalk1390576253895.jpg

My bet is that is a poor question.

I can understand the logic behind ammonium carbonate - it decomposes relatively easy, so it will be always contaminated by ammonia, water and carbon dioxide. However, I am not convinced other molecules listed don't suffer from other problems - whenever you see hydrated cations (like Fe(H2O)63+ or Al(H2O)63+) in the presence of other ligands (like SO42- or F-) you can expect some water molecules to be replaced by these other ligands, and the solution to contain a mixture of complexes. I am not convinced solid would be free of them.

Borek said:
My bet is that is a poor question.

I can understand the logic behind ammonium carbonate - it decomposes relatively easy, so it will be always contaminated by ammonia, water and carbon dioxide. However, I am not convinced other molecules listed don't suffer from other problems - whenever you see hydrated cations (like Fe(H2O)63+ or Al(H2O)63+) in the presence of other ligands (like SO42- or F-) you can expect some water molecules to be replaced by these other ligands, and the solution to contain a mixture of complexes. I am not convinced solid would be free of them.

We haven't gotten to ligands yet. We're only concerned about acid/base reactions. Can such reactions occur in the solid-state? Or gaseous state?

Ammonia reacting with hydrogen chloride is definitely an acid-base reaction* and they react in the gaseous phase. Actually it is not that difficult, just take open bottles of concentrated ammonia and concentrated hydrochloric acid and put them close to each other - as both gases are volatile they will mix in the air and you will see fog appearing from nowhere.

In the solid phase... I suspect that mixing some solid acids (like benzoic) and some solid bases (say, NaOH) will soon yield a wet salt. Won't be initially a fast process, and the water produced will soon make it a reaction in solution.

*especially if we take into account all possible acid and base definitions.

Borek said:
Ammonia reacting with hydrogen chloride is definitely an acid-base reaction* and they react in the gaseous phase. Actually it is not that difficult, just take open bottles of concentrated ammonia and concentrated hydrochloric acid and put them close to each other - as both gases are volatile they will mix in the air and you will see fog appearing from nowhere.

In the solid phase... I suspect that mixing some solid acids (like benzoic) and some solid bases (say, NaOH) will soon yield a wet salt. Won't be initially a fast process, and the water produced will soon make it a reaction in solution.

*especially if we take into account all possible acid and base definitions.

Very interesting. I should have used my common sense as well and realized that yes indeed acid-base reactions can occur in the solid state. I remember a former chemistry teacher who managed to destroy a brand-new classroom installation of tile flooring by storing a potent acid in a metal tub over the weekend.

Also, my teacher mentioned smelling salts as an example of a solid-state acid/base reaction, since smelling salts are just ammonium carbonate. The two undergo a large extent A/B reaction and create a potent smell.

[itex]H_{4}N^{+} + CO_{3}^{2-} \leftrightharpoons H_{3}N + HOCO_{3}^{-}[/itex]

What are all the possible A/B definitions? I know of three: Arrhenius, Bronsted-Lowry, and Lewis. And also "hard" and "soft," I suppose, so four.

Qube said:
What are all the possible A/B definitions? I know of three: Arrhenius, Bronsted-Lowry, and Lewis. And also "hard" and "soft," I suppose, so four.

Hard and soft AKA Pearson theory of acids and bases, yes, that would be four.

But there were more - Usanowich theory, Ebert & Konopik theory, and few others I don't remember. They just never gained any popularity.

1. What is a solid-state acid-base reaction?

A solid-state acid-base reaction is a chemical process in which an acid and a base react with each other in the solid state, without the presence of a solvent. This type of reaction is also known as a dry reaction and is commonly used in the production of pharmaceuticals, pigments, and other industrial products.

2. What are the characteristics of a solid-state acid-base reaction?

Some key characteristics of a solid-state acid-base reaction include the absence of a solvent, high reaction rates, and the formation of a new solid product. These reactions also typically require high temperatures and pressures to occur.

3. How does a solid-state acid-base reaction differ from a liquid-phase acid-base reaction?

The main difference between a solid-state acid-base reaction and a liquid-phase acid-base reaction is the absence of a solvent. In a liquid-phase reaction, the reactants are dissolved in a solvent, whereas in a solid-state reaction, they are in direct contact with each other. This can result in different reaction rates, selectivity, and product formation.

4. What are some examples of solid-state acid-base reactions?

Some common examples of solid-state acid-base reactions include the production of aspirin from salicylic acid and acetic anhydride, the synthesis of zeolites from silicon dioxide and aluminum oxide, and the formation of calcium sulfate from calcium carbonate and sulfuric acid.

5. What are the applications of solid-state acid-base reactions?

Solid-state acid-base reactions have a wide range of applications in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and catalysis. They are also used in the production of pigments, fertilizers, and other industrial products. Additionally, solid-state acid-base reactions are being studied for their potential use in green chemistry and sustainable manufacturing processes.