Solitons, instantons etc. -- Studying the general theory of solitons in QFT

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of supersymmetric solitons and the best resources for studying the general theory of solitons in QFT. The speakers mention several books, including "Classical gauge fields" by Rubakov, "Aspects of Symmetry" by Coleman, "Solitons and Instantons" by Rajaraman, and "Topological Solitons" by Manton and Sutcliffe. The general consensus is that Coleman's book is highly recommended for its quality of presentation, but the other books are also good options.
Gvido_Anselmi
Hello everybody!
I've recently decided that I'm interested in supersymmetric solitons and want to work in this area for future 2 undergrad years. I wonder what is the best place to study the general theory of solitons in QFT? Is Rubakov "Classical gauge fields" really the best book for those who allready knows QFT?

Physics news on Phys.org
The somewhat classic reference was Coleman's Aspects of Symmetry for a very physical introduction. A more complete treatment can be found in Rajaraman, Solitons and Instantons or the newer Manton and Sutcliffe, Topological Solitons. Rubakov seems to be a bit more recent than the latter, but I'm not familiar with it. I would highly recommend Coleman's book based on the quality of the presentation, but don't really have a preference for one of the other three texts.

fzero said:
The somewhat classic reference was Coleman's Aspects of Symmetry for a very physical introduction. A more complete treatment can be found in Rajaraman, Solitons and Instantons or the newer Manton and Sutcliffe, Topological Solitons. Rubakov seems to be a bit more recent than the latter, but I'm not familiar with it. I would highly recommend Coleman's book based on the quality of the presentation, but don't really have a preference for one of the other three texts.

Thank you for this advice, Coleman is really good!

Related to Solitons, instantons etc. -- Studying the general theory of solitons in QFT

1. What are solitons?

Solitons are self-reinforcing waves that maintain their shape and energy while propagating through a medium. They are formed due to a balance between nonlinearity and dispersion in the medium.

2. How are solitons relevant to quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, solitons are important because they describe stable, localized excitations in the field. They also have many applications in condensed matter physics, such as in describing the behavior of electrons in a crystal lattice.

3. What is the difference between solitons and instantons?

Solitons are classical solutions to the equations of motion in a field theory, while instantons are quantum mechanical solutions. Instantons are non-perturbative effects that arise due to quantum tunneling between different classical vacua.

4. Can solitons and instantons be observed in experiments?

Yes, solitons have been observed in various physical systems, such as in Bose-Einstein condensates and in optical fibers. Instantons have also been indirectly observed through their effects on particle interactions and in the formation of topological defects in condensed matter systems.

5. How is the general theory of solitons studied in QFT?

The general theory of solitons in QFT is studied using mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory, variational methods, and numerical simulations. These methods help to understand the properties and behavior of solitons and instantons in different field theories.