Solo: A Star Wars Story (Upcoming)

In summary, Solo is a better than average Star Wars movie with some good and some bad, but it is entertaining overall.
DennisN
Gold Member
2023 Award
(In this one I personally do not believe. But surprised I could be, who knows...)

Trailer 1:

Physics news on Phys.org
The auditions were apparently difficult :smile::

No comments? No interest whatsoever from the SF community on PF? :biggrin:
Am I going to be solo in this thread? Am I going to be solo in the theatre too?

I'm definitely looking forward to this movie. Han Solo was always my favorite SW character, excluding the EU/Legends (in which case Mara Jade becomes the best). I think the movie is going to come down to how well Alden Ehrenreich can capture the "essence" of the pre-New Hope Han Solo that Harrison Ford brought to life in such a brilliant manner. One of the best parts of the original trilogy was the gradual morphing of Solo from an anti-hero to a more traditional hero. I think that character arc was the best one in those movies. The thing that I fear may kill this movie is if the character is portrayed as Han Solo post-Endor rather than Han Solo pre-Mos Eisley.

So, bottom line, it's a Star Wars movie about Han Solo specifically so I'm very excited for it. Of course, that cynical part of my mind is saying "Ewoks...Jar Jar...TLJ. Ewoks...Jar Jar...TLJ." So call it more along the lines of "cautiously very optimistic".

XZ923 said:
One of the best parts of the original trilogy was the gradual morphing of Solo from an anti-hero to a more traditional hero. I think that character arc was the best one in those movies.
I agree.

I recently saw some fun parodies, and I could not resist replying to your post, @XZ923...
XZ923 said:
Of course, that cynical part of my mind is saying "Ewoks...".

XZ923 said:
"Jar Jar...".
And a fun interview with Ahmed Best who played Jar Jar... :smile:

Last edited:
Baker' Street, with cow horns.!

This is going to be one of those movies that I'll have to wait to how well it it is received before deciding whether or not I'll bother seeing it in the theater.

Likes XZ923
A new trailer:
(maybe it will be a decent action movie)

Likes DrClaude
DennisN said:
(In this one I personally do not believe. But surprised I could be, who knows...)

I remembered this thread and I wanted to report back that I have seen it.

My expectations were at a minimum, and it was better than I expected, and I must admit that I was entertained and that I actually enjoyed it. :biggrin:

Though there is a scene in the end in hyperspace that I think was quite ridiculous and unnecessary, even though it's Star Wars. But that was the case in Rogue One too, in my opinion, and there were quite many unnecessary scenes in The Last Jedi, in which I think they should have scrapped the Canto Bight parts completely.

Good action, rather good story and entertaining. For some reason I enjoyed it more than Rogue One, but I am probably in a minority, judging from the general reception of the two movies. I would say that Solo: A Star Wars Story takes itself less seriously than The Last Jedi and Rogue One, and in a rather good way.

Edit: I am going to watch Rogue One again, maybe I was in a bad mood when I watched it, who knows? :smile:

Last edited:
Likes ChemAir
DennisN said:
I remembered this thread and I wanted to report back that I have seen it.

My expectations were at a minimum, and it was better than I expected, and I must admit that I was entertained and that I actually enjoyed it. :biggrin:

I watched Solo (halfheartedly over the weekend), and I started paying attention in earnest about half way through. I liked what I saw and will probably repeat the first half to see what I missed. I liked it more than I thought (better than Last Jedi) and it was more like Rogue 1, which is the best recent Star Wars film in the last several years IMO.

Maybe I'll move Solo to the top after the re-watch.

Likes DennisN

1. What is the release date for "Solo: A Star Wars Story"?

The release date for "Solo: A Star Wars Story" is May 25, 2018.

2. Who will be playing the role of Han Solo in the movie?

Alden Ehrenreich will be playing the role of Han Solo in "Solo: A Star Wars Story".

3. Is this movie a prequel or sequel to the original Star Wars trilogy?

"Solo: A Star Wars Story" is a prequel to the original Star Wars trilogy, following the story of Han Solo before his appearance in "Star Wars: A New Hope".

4. Will any other familiar characters be appearing in the movie?

Yes, other familiar characters such as Chewbacca and Lando Calrissian will be appearing in "Solo: A Star Wars Story".

5. Can we expect any new additions to the Star Wars universe in this movie?

Yes, "Solo: A Star Wars Story" will introduce new characters and locations to the Star Wars universe, expanding upon the story and lore of the franchise.