Who was the true hero behind the Rebel Alliance's victory in Rogue One?

In summary, the new trailer for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story features a lot of discussion about the plot and the characters. Some people are worried about how fast the Death Star's main laser dish is being moved into place, while others are concerned about the potential consequences of rushing the project. There are also jokes about Jar Jar Binks and the negative reception to his appearance in the movie so far.
I have mixed feelings about Rogue One, my summary, please note spoilers below!:

Pros: It's Star Wars. Some pretty cool scenes, pretty good action. Some very cool scenes. The basic story was pretty good. Some good humor. The stolen Imperial droid was quite fun.

Cons: Uneven acting, there were some minor roles with subpar acting, IMO. Some over-the-top and unnecessarily dramatic scenes like 1) the heroine facing Tarkin alone on the Imperial station in the end and 2) when the heroes die from the Death Star shockwave in the end. I also found the story connection to A New Hope in the end a bit desperate, like "you really need to understand that this is the prequel" so "here is Darth Vader, here is the rebel ship and here is Leia. Got it?" Yes, I get it, please don't rub it in my face :D.

My verdict: better than the Jar-Jar prequels, but not even close to A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

Last edited:
Likes XZ923
Physics news on Phys.org
DennisN said:
I have mixed feelings about Rogue One, my summary, please note spoilers below!:

Pros: It's Star Wars. Some pretty cool scenes, pretty good action. Some very cool scenes. The basic story was pretty good. Some good humor. The stolen Imperial droid was quite fun.

Cons: Uneven acting, there were some minor roles with subpar acting, IMO. Some over-the-top and unnecessarily dramatic scenes like 1) the heroine facing Tarkin alone on the Imperial station in the end and 2) when the heroes die from the Death Star shockwave in the end. I also found the story connection to A New Hope in the end a bit desperate, like "you really need to understand that this is the prequel" so "here is Darth Vader, here is the rebel ship and here is Leia. Got it?" Yes, I get it, please don't rub it in my face :D.

My verdict: better than the Jar-Jar prequels, but not even close to A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

I thought it was the best star wars since the original trilogy. I had low expectations for it due to the last few star wars movies being ultra disappointing, but this one made me grin when I saw it in theaters. I agree that "A New Hope" is better. So is "The Return of The Jedi", but it depends on your mood. Its not trailing too far behind the best of the best IMO. This new movie has actually given me 'a new hope' for the star wars series. Pun intended. Please give me compliments for my pun. Thank you.

Likes Noisy Rhysling
@RogueOne, it is only my personal opinion, which of course is utterly subjective. I discussed the movie with a close friend who also is a Star Wars fan and he gave it a better rating than me, four out of five. I disagreed with him and said I can't give it a four, because my rating is Empire (5), A New Hope (5), Return of the Jedi (4+) and I don't think "Rogue One" comes close to "Jedi" so it gets a weak 3, 3- from me, or 2+. And I liked "The Force Awakens" much more than "Rogue One". But it's subjective to discuss and rate movies, of course :smile:.

DennisN said:
Yes, I get it, please don't rub it in my face :D.
Not for me, man. The last ten minutes was like a best friend finally coming home after 40 years.

Likes RogueOne
DaveC426913 said:
Not for me, man. The last ten minutes was like a best friend finally coming home after 40 years.
Best fight in the series, IMNSHO.

DaveC426913 said:

I felt the same way. Honestly, I left the theater grinning.

See what happens when you give a stolen, reprogrammed, egocentric, smartass Imperial droid a gun?

Likes RogueOne
I thought Rogue One and Force Awakens were entertaining enough but not the original trilogy.

My problem is that I'm a huge SW fan and I read pretty much the whole expanded universe before they ditched it as Star Wars Legends. As far as Rogue One goes, sure it was a good movie and Jyn Erso is a unique character, but tell me that Galen Marek's story wouldn't have made a better movie. I dare you...

XZ923 said:
I thought Rogue One and Force Awakens were entertaining enough but not the original trilogy.

My problem is that I'm a huge SW fan and I read pretty much the whole expanded universe before they ditched it as Star Wars Legends. As far as Rogue One goes, sure it was a good movie and Jyn Erso is a unique character, but tell me that Galen Marek's story wouldn't have made a better movie. I dare you...
...Galen Marek's story wouldn't have made a better movie...

Happy?

Noisy Rhysling said:
...Galen Marek's story wouldn't have made a better movie...

Happy?

Agree to disagree.

XZ923 said:
Agree to disagree.
I'm unbiased, I don't know who he is.

Noisy Rhysling said:
I'm unbiased, I don't know who he is.

Rogue One was a movie about how the Rebels got hold of the Death Star plans. Galen Marek was the protagonist of several video games, and the pinnacle of his story was the same, obtaining the Death Star plans. Only instead of being the daughter of an architect, he was the secret apprentice of Darth Vader who was betrayed by Vader and in turn betrayed him by obtaining the plans. In fact, since he was the one who called Mon Mothma, Bail Organa, and Garm bel Iblis together he could be considered the founder of the Rebel Alliance after sacrificing himself in an epic duel against both Vader and Palpatine so that the Rebel leaders could escape and form the Alliance together.