Solubility-Pressure graph of Ammonia

In summary, there is limited information available about the solubility of Ammonia changing with pressure, but data about solubility changing with temperature is available. An expert has stated that the solubility of Ammonia varies little with pressure, but the conversation caller is seeking further assurance. The critical temperature of Ammonia is 132.4°C, meaning it would not act like a gas at ambient temperature and pressure. The solubility of Ammonia in water varies greatly with temperature, with a 90% solubility at 0°C and almost insoluble at 72°C. The caller also brings up Henry's Law, which states that solubility of different gases to water is different, and wonders
pranj5
I have searched to find out how the solubility of Ammonia changes with pressure, but haven't been able to find out. Though data about solubility change with temperature is available. One have told me that solubility of Ammonia varies little with pressure. But, I want to be assured about that. Can anybody help me?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Isn't NH3 a gas normally? If so, I would imagine the solubility to vary wildly with pressure, but I don't know.

Maybe take a look at Henry's law and see if that helps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry's_law, http://www.henrys-law.org/henry-3.0.pdf

Last edited:
The critical temperature of Ammonia is 132.4°C and that means at ambient temperature and pressure it wouldn't act like a gas. At 0°C, the solubility of Ammonia in water (by mass) is 90% while at 72°C, it's almost insoluble.

pranj5 said:
The critical temperature of Ammonia is 132.4°C and that means at ambient temperature and pressure it wouldn't act like a gas. At 0°C, the solubility of Ammonia in water (by mass) is 90% while at 72°C, it's almost insoluble.

Okay? The boiling point is -30 something C. It's a gas at room temperature. Do you mean it doesn't behave like an ideal gas? No gases do. Solubility of gases decrease with increased temperature, so that sounds legit.

Because NH3 reacts with water, I'm not sure if differing gas pressures would cause solubility to change... but it might. I'll let the others here answer.

As per Henry's Law, solubility of different gases to water is different. I don't want to mean that solubility of Ammonia to water at different pressure doesn't change at all. But, as per an expert with whom I have talked about it a few days ago, told me that it's very low.

What is a solubility-pressure graph of Ammonia?

A solubility-pressure graph of Ammonia is a graphical representation of the relationship between the solubility of Ammonia and the pressure at a given temperature. It shows how the solubility of Ammonia changes as the pressure increases or decreases.

What factors affect the solubility of Ammonia?

The solubility of Ammonia is affected by temperature, pressure, and the presence of other solutes in the solution. At higher pressures and lower temperatures, the solubility of Ammonia increases. Other solutes can also affect the solubility by either increasing or decreasing it.

How does temperature affect the solubility of Ammonia?

As temperature increases, the solubility of Ammonia decreases. This is because as temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the particles also increases, causing them to move more and break away from the attractive forces between them. This makes it easier for the gas to escape from the solution, decreasing its solubility.

What is the significance of a solubility-pressure graph of Ammonia?

A solubility-pressure graph of Ammonia is significant because it helps us understand the relationship between the solubility of Ammonia and the pressure at different temperatures. This information is useful in various industries, such as the production of fertilizers and refrigerants, where Ammonia is used.

How does the solubility of Ammonia change with pressure?

As pressure increases, the solubility of Ammonia also increases. This is because at higher pressures, the gas particles are forced closer together, increasing the chances of them coming into contact with the liquid and dissolving. Similarly, as pressure decreases, the solubility of Ammonia also decreases.