Solution: Find Full-Load Primary Current in Polar Form

• Thread starter yoamocuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Transformer
In summary, a single phase 500V/250V transformer has a rated load current of 10 A with a power factor of 0.8 lagging. At no load, the supplied current is 0.25 A with a power factor of 0.10 lagging. To find the full-load primary current in polar form, the winding impedance voltage drop can be neglected. Using the equations I=Io + I2' and V2/V1=N2/N1, the calculated values for full load and no load primary current are 5.25 A and 5 A, respectively. The next step is to determine the angle of I, which is assumed to be the same as the power factor at no load.
yoamocuy

Homework Statement

A single phase 500V/250V transformer that supplies a rated load current of 10 A with a power factor of 0.8 lagging. At no load, the supplied current is 0.25 A with a power factor of 0.10 lagging. I am supposed to find the full-load primary current and express it in polar form. Winding impedance voltage drop can be neglected.

Homework Equations

I=Io + I2'
I2'=(N2/N1)*I2
V2/V1=N2/N1

The Attempt at a Solution

Full Load

500V/250V=N1/N2
I think that rated load current is = to I2
therefore, I2'=(250/500)*10 A
I2'=5 A

No Load

Io=0.25 A

using the equation I=Io + I2'
I= 5 A + 0.25 A
I=5.25 A

Does everything look ok so far?
At this point I'm not sure how to find the angle of I.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that the angle of I at no load is the same as the power factor of 0.10 lagging? Can someone help me with the next step?

Yes, your calculations for the full load and no load currents appear to be correct. To find the angle of I, you can use the power factor formula: cosφ = P/S, where P is the real power and S is the apparent power. In this case, the power factor is given as 0.8 lagging, so cosφ = 0.8. The real power can be calculated using the formula P = V1*I1*cosφ, where V1 is the primary voltage and I1 is the primary current. Plugging in the given values, we get P = (500V)*(I1)*(0.8) = 400*I1. The apparent power can be calculated using the formula S = V1*I1, so S = (500V)*(I1). Now we can solve for I1 by dividing both sides of the power factor formula by S and taking the inverse cosine: I1 = cos^-1 (P/S) = cos^-1 (400*I1 / (500*I1)) = cos^-1 (0.8) = 36.87 degrees. Therefore, the full-load primary current in polar form is I1 = 5.25 A ∠36.87°.

Related to Solution: Find Full-Load Primary Current in Polar Form

1. What is the purpose of finding full-load primary current in polar form?

The purpose of finding full-load primary current in polar form is to determine the maximum current that flows through the primary winding of a transformer when it is supplying its rated load. This is important in designing and operating transformer systems to ensure that the primary winding is not overloaded and can handle the required amount of current.

2. What information is needed to calculate full-load primary current in polar form?

To calculate full-load primary current in polar form, you will need the rated power of the transformer, the rated voltage of the secondary winding, and the power factor of the load. These values can be found on the transformer nameplate or in the equipment specifications.

3. How is full-load primary current in polar form calculated?

The full-load primary current in polar form can be calculated using the formula Ip = P/(√3 x Vs x PF), where Ip is the full-load primary current, P is the rated power of the transformer, Vs is the rated voltage of the secondary winding, and PF is the power factor of the load.

4. What is the difference between polar form and rectangular form for full-load primary current?

Polar form and rectangular form are two different ways of expressing complex numbers. In polar form, a complex number is represented by its magnitude and angle, while in rectangular form, it is represented by its real and imaginary components. In the context of full-load primary current, polar form is often used to calculate the maximum current flow, while rectangular form may be used for other calculations or representations of the current.

5. Can full-load primary current in polar form change over time?

Yes, full-load primary current in polar form can change over time if there are changes in the rated power or voltage of the transformer, or if the power factor of the load changes. It is important to regularly recalculate and monitor the full-load primary current to ensure the transformer is operating within its limits and to make any necessary adjustments to the system.