Solution of the Damped Wave Equation under Certain Boundary Conditions

In summary: I have that $C_n = 0$. Can I use the same boundary condition to obtain $A_1$? How can I obtain...In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the wave equation and its general solution. The solution is given in terms of the functions $\varphi(x)$ and $\psi(t)$, and the boundary conditions are also provided. The expert summarizes the steps taken to solve for the coefficients and also mentions that the Fourier series of the sine function is zero and does not converge to the function itself.
Dustinsfl
$$
u_{tt} + 3u_t = u_{xx}\Rightarrow \varphi\psi'' + 3\varphi\psi' = \varphi''\psi.
$$
$$
u(0,t) = u(\pi,t) = 0
$$
$$
u(x,0) = 0\quad\text{and}\quad u_t(x,0) = 10
$$
\[\varphi(x) = A\cos kx + B\sin kx\\\]
\begin{alignat*}{3}
\psi(t) & = & C\exp\left(-\frac{3t}{2}\right)\exp\left[t\frac{\sqrt{9 - 4n^2}}{2}\right] + D\exp\left(-\frac{3t}{2}\right)\exp\left[-t\frac{\sqrt{9 - 4n^2}}{2}\right]
\end{alignat*}
The general sol would be
\begin{eqnarray}
u(x,t)&=&\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sin x\left[A_1\cosh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2} + B_1\sinh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2}\right]\\

&+&\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}\sin nx\left[C_n\cos t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2} + D_n\sin t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\right]

\end{eqnarray}
Correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
$$
u_{tt} + 3u_t = u_{xx}\Rightarrow \varphi\psi'' + 3\varphi\psi' = \varphi''\psi.
$$
$$
u(0,t) = u(\pi,t) = 0
$$
$$
u(x,0) = 0\quad\text{and}\quad u_t(x,0) = 10
$$
\[\varphi(x) = A\cos kx + B\sin kx\\\]
\begin{alignat*}{3}
\psi(t) & = & C\exp\left(-\frac{3t}{2}\right)\exp\left[t\frac{\sqrt{9 - 4n^2}}{2}\right] + D\exp\left(-\frac{3t}{2}\right)\exp\left[-t\frac{\sqrt{9 - 4n^2}}{2}\right]
\end{alignat*}
The general sol would be
\begin{eqnarray}
u(x,t)&=&\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sin x\left[A_1\cosh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2} + B_1\sinh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2}\right]\\

&+&\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}\sin nx\left[C_n\cos t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2} + D_n\sin t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\right]

\end{eqnarray}
Correct?

Assuming that the gen soln is correct. Here is what I did to solve for the coefficients. Is this correct?
I haven't been able to solve for $B_1$ though. Hopefully, someone will have some insight.
Using the first boundary condition, we have
\begin{alignat*}{5}
u(x,0) & = & A_1\sin x + \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}C_n\sin nx & = & 0\\
& \Rightarrow & \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}C_n\sin nx & = & -A_1\sin x\\
& \Rightarrow & C_n & = & -\frac{2A_1}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\sin x\sin nxdx\\
& & & = & \frac{2A_1\sin n\pi}{\pi(n^2 - 1)}\\
& & & = & 0
\end{alignat*}
That is, $C_n = 0$.
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u(x,t) & = & \exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sin x\left[A_1\cosh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2} + B_1\sinh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2}\right] + \exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}D_n\sin nx\sin t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}
\end{alignat*}
Again, using the first boundary condition, we have (Is it okay to use the BC twice?)
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u(x,0) & = & A_1\sin x & = & 0.
\end{alignat*}
Therefore, $A_1 = 0$ too.
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u(x,t) & = & \exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]B_1\sin x\sinh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2} + \exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}D_n\sin nx\sin t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}
\end{alignat*}
Using the second boundary condition, we have
\begin{alignat*}{5}
u_t(x,0) & = & \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}B_1\sin x + \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}D_n\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\sin nx & = & 10\\
& \Rightarrow & \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}D_n\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\sin nx & = & 10 - \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}B_1\sin x\\
& \Rightarrow & D_n & = & \frac{4}{\pi\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}\int_0^{\pi}\left(10 - \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}B_1\sin x\right)\sin nxdx\\
& & & = & -\frac{40(\cos n\pi - 1)}{n\pi\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}\\
& & & = & -\frac{40((-1)^n - 1)}{n\pi\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}\\
& & & = & \begin{cases}
0, & \text{if n is even}\\
\frac{80}{n\pi\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}, & \text{if n is odd}
\end{cases}
\end{alignat*}
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u(x,t) & = & \exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]B_1\sin x\sinh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2}\\
& + & \frac{80\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]}{\pi}\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}\frac{1}{(2n - 1)\sqrt{\left(n^2 -\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 - \frac{9}{16}}}\sin nx\sin t\frac{\sqrt{\left(n^2 -\frac{1}{2}\right)^2 - \frac{9}{16}}}{2}
\end{alignat*}

Hi dwsmith, :)

Can you please explain how you got,

\[\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}C_n\sin nx = -A_1\sin x\]

\[\Rightarrow C_n = -\frac{2A_1}{\pi}\int_0^{\pi}\sin x\sin nxdx\]

Sudharaka said:
Hi dwsmith, :)

Can you please explain how you got,

Fourier coefficient

dwsmith said:
Fourier coefficient

Note that when you substitute \(t=0\) in,

\begin{eqnarray} u(x,t)&=&\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sin x\left[A_1\cosh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2} + B_1\sinh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2}\right]\\ &+&\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}\sin nx\left[C_n\cos t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2} + D_n\sin t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\right] \end{eqnarray}

you get,

\[\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}C_n\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\sin nx = -A_1\sin x\]

Sudharaka said:
Note that when you substitute \(t=0\) in,

\begin{eqnarray} u(x,t)&=&\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sin x\left[A_1\cosh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2} + B_1\sinh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2}\right]\\ &+&\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}\sin nx\left[C_n\cos t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2} + D_n\sin t\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\right] \end{eqnarray}

you get,

\[\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}C_n\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\sin nx = -A_1\sin x\]

$0\cdot\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2} =0$ and the cosine of 0 is 1

dwsmith said:
$0\cdot\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2} =0$ and the cosine of 0 is 1

Ah, I was confused by the lack of parenthesis. I thought that \(\cos t\) was multiplied by \(\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\).

Anyway it is incorrect that,

Note that the Fourier series of the sine function is zero and hence does not converge to the function itself.

Sudharaka said:
Ah, I was confused by the lack of parenthesis. I thought that \(\cos t\) was multiplied by \(\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\).

Anyway it is incorrect that,

Note that the Fourier series of the sine function is zero and hence does not converge to the function itself.

I have that $C_n = 0$. Can I use the same boundary condition to obtain $A_1$? How can I obtain $B_1$?

Sudharaka said:

This is precisely why I always insist that students put parentheses around function arguments. Don't write so that you can be understood. Write so you can't be misunderstood.

$$ \cos \left(t \cdot \frac{ \sqrt{4n^{2}-9}}{2} \right)$$
is better than
$$ \cos t \cdot \frac{ \sqrt{4n^{2}-9}}{2}\;\text{or}\;\cos t \frac{ \sqrt{4n^{2}-9}}{2},$$
because the latter is ambiguous.

It might be a tad more typing up front, but it saves typing later.

dwsmith said:
I have that $C_n = 0$. Can I use the same boundary condition to obtain $A_1$? How can I obtain $B_1$?

\(C_n =A_{1}= 0\) is a trivial solution of the equation, \(\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}C_n\sin nx = -A_1\sin x\). You don't need to use a boundary condition for the second time to say that. However it may not be the only solution.

Sudharaka said:
\(C_n =A_{1}= 0\) is a trivial solution of the equation, \(\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}C_n\sin nx = -A_1\sin x\). You don't need to use a boundary condition for the second time to say that. However it may not be the only solution.

How do I find $B_1$?

I think the solution you have obtained for the damped wave equation is incorrect. Refer, >>this<<.

Sudharaka said:
I think the solution you have obtained for the damped wave equation is incorrect. Refer, >>this<<.

There equation doesn't account for overdamped solutions. If they let $c = 5$, the first few n terms would be over damped and they would need a summation cosh and sinh + summation of cos and sine.

In my case, I have overdamping at n = 1. So I don't need a summation. I just have one term.

Sudharaka said:

This linked lead me to another pdf from that school that helped with another problem though :)

Sudharaka said:

If it isn't the only solution, how can we find another solution?

I have a form for $B$ but I not to sure about it
$$
B=\frac{4 \sqrt{5} \text{Csc}[x] \left(\pi -2 i \text{ArcTanh}\left[e^{-i x}\right]+2 i \text{ArcTanh}\left[e^{i x}\right]+4 \text{Sin}[x]\right)}{\pi }
$$

dwsmith said:
I have a form for $B$ but I not to sure about it
$$
B=\frac{4 \sqrt{5} \text{Csc}[x] \left(\pi -2 i \text{ArcTanh}\left[e^{-i x}\right]+2 i \text{ArcTanh}\left[e^{i x}\right]+4 \text{Sin}[x]\right)}{\pi }
$$
When I plot my soln, I don't see any damping. Is there a mistake some where?
Using the second boundary condition, we have
\begin{alignat*}{5}
u_t(x,0) & = & \frac{\sqrt{5}}{2}B_1\sin x + \sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}D_n\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\sin nx & = & 10\\
& \Rightarrow & \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}d_n\frac{\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}{2}\sin nx & = & 10\\
& \Rightarrow & d_n & = & \frac{40}{\pi\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}\int_0^{\pi}\sin nx dx\\
& & & = & -\frac{40(\cos n\pi - 1)}{n\pi\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}\\
& & & = & \begin{cases}
0, & \text{if n is even}\\
\frac{80}{n\pi\sqrt{4n^2 - 9}}, & \text{if n is odd}
\end{cases}
\end{alignat*}
If we peel off the $n = 1$ term now, we will have the first term which is $\frac{40}{\pi}\sin x$.
So $B_1 = \frac{16\sqrt{5}}{\pi}$
\begin{alignat*}{3}
u(x,t) & = & \exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]\frac{16\sqrt{5}}{\pi}\sin x\sinh\frac{t\sqrt{5}}{2} + \frac{80\exp\left[-\frac{3t}{2}\right]}{\pi}\sum_{n = 2}^{\infty}\frac{\sin nx\sin\left(t\frac{\sqrt{4(2n - 1)^2 - 9}}{2}\right)}{(2n - 1)\sqrt{4(2n - 1)^2 - 9}}
\end{alignat*}

Related to Solution of the Damped Wave Equation under Certain Boundary Conditions

1. What is the damped wave equation?

The damped wave equation is a mathematical model that describes the behavior of a wave that is experiencing damping. It is a second-order partial differential equation that takes into account both the wave's position and its rate of change.

2. What are boundary conditions?

Boundary conditions are conditions or constraints that are imposed on a physical system at its boundaries. In the context of the damped wave equation, these conditions specify the behavior of the wave at the boundaries of the system.

3. How is the damped wave equation solved under certain boundary conditions?

The damped wave equation can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as the method of separation of variables or the method of characteristics. Under certain boundary conditions, these methods can be used to find a unique solution to the equation.

4. What is the significance of solving the damped wave equation under certain boundary conditions?

Solving the damped wave equation under certain boundary conditions allows us to model and understand the behavior of waves in real-world systems. It can help us predict how waves will behave under specific circumstances and make informed decisions based on those predictions.

5. What are some common applications of the solution of the damped wave equation?

The solution of the damped wave equation has a wide range of applications in various fields, such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to study the behavior of waves in systems such as electrical circuits, musical instruments, and ocean waves.