Solutions to Equations Involving Exponential and Trig Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of two propositions: ##e^x = x## does not have any solutions, and ##\sec x = e^{-x^2}## has only one solution. The first proof uses the fact that ##e^x## is concave up on ##\Bbb{R}## and lies above all of its tangent lines to show that there is no solution. The second proof shows that ##x=0## is the only solution for ##\sec x = e^{-x^2}## by considering the behavior of both functions on the intervals ##(-\infty, 0]## and ##(0, \infty)##. The conversation also touches on the connection
Bashyboy

Homework Statement

Show that ##e^x = x## does not have any solutions, and show that ##\sec x = e^{-x^2}## has only one solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my proof of the first proposition: Since ##e^x## is concave up on ##\Bbb{R}##, it must lie above all of its tangent lines. In particular ##e^x \ge x+1 > x## for every $x \in \Bbb{R}, which means there cannot be a solution to ##e^x=x##.

Before I move on to the second part, I would like to point out that I have been using this connection between concavity and tangent lines but I have never read a precise statement of it. Would anyone know to how precisely state this equivalence, as I am interested in proving it.

Here is my work for the second part. Clearly ##x=0## is a solution, and in fact this is where the maximum value of $e^{-x^2}$ occurs. Since it is strictly in increasing on ##(-\infty, 0]##, it attains this value only once; and since it is strictly decreasing on ##(0,\infty)##), it will never attain this maximum value. Now, if ##x## is such that ##e^{-x^2} = \sec x##, then ##|e^{-x^2}| = | \sec x |## or ##e^{-x^2} \ge 1##, which happens if and only if ##x =0##. So there are no other solutions besides ##x=0##.

How does this sound? Any improvements?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement

Show that ##e^x = x## does not have any solutions, and show that ##\sec x = e^{-x^2}## has only one solution.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is my proof of the first proposition: Since ##e^x## is concave up on ##\Bbb{R}##, it must lie above all of its tangent lines. In particular ##e^x \ge x+1 > x## for every $x \in \Bbb{R}, which means there cannot be a solution to ##e^x=x##.

Before I move on to the second part, I would like to point out that I have been using this connection between concavity and tangent lines but I have never read a precise statement of it. Would anyone know to how precisely state this equivalence, as I am interested in proving it.

Here is my work for the second part. Clearly ##x=0## is a solution, and in fact this is where the maximum value of $e^{-x^2}$ occurs. Since it is strictly in increasing on ##(-\infty, 0]##, it attains this value only once; and since it is strictly decreasing on ##(0,\infty)##), it will never attain this maximum value. Now, if ##x## is such that ##e^{-x^2} = \sec x##, then ##|e^{-x^2}| = | \sec x |## or ##e^{-x^2} \ge 1##, which happens if and only if ##x =0##. So there are no other solutions besides ##x=0##.

How does this sound? Any improvements?

The function ##\sec(x)## is a bit more complicated than you have described it. Look at ##x \geq 0##. The function ##\sec(x)## is strictly convex (and ##>0##) on ##(0,\pi/2)##, strictly concave (and ##< 0##) on ##(\pi/2, 3 \pi/2)##, strictly convex (##>0##) on ##(3 \pi/2, 5 \pi/2)##, etc. The function ##e^{-x^2}## is strictly concave, ##>0##, strictly decreasing on ##(0, 1/\sqrt{2})## and strictly convex, ##> 0##, strictly decreasing on ##(1/\sqrt{2}, \infty)##. Both ##e^{-x^2}## and ##\sec(x)## are even functions of ##x##, so the behavior for ##x < 0## is a mirror-image of that for ##x > 0##.

Note: I use the more modern terminology "convex" instead of "concave up" and "concave" instead of "concave down". This is entirely in line with what is done in the optimization literature and most application areas these days.

As to your question about tangent lines: just Google "convex functions" to see a host of relevant articles.

Actually, I see that most of them just state the result without proof, so here is a little proof that has only a few, simple, missing steps.
Suppose ##f(x)## is a continuously differentiable convex function on an interval ##I## and let ##x_0 \in I##. Consider the function ##g(x) = f(x) - f'(x_0)(x-x_0)##. It is a convex function minus a linear function, so is still convex and continuously differentiable; also we have ##g(x_0) = 0## and ##g'(x_0) = 0.##

We want to show that ##g(x) \geq 0## on ##I##. Suppose not, so there is a ##z \in I## with ##z \neq x_0## and ##g(z) < 0##. Suppose ##z > x_0##; the other case is similar. By convexity, the graph of ##g(x)## lies below (or on) the line segment joining ##(x_0,0)## to ##(z,g(z)##, and that means that the slope of the graph ##y = g(x)## must be less than (or equal to) the slope of the line segment, which is non-zero. This is a contradiction, so no such point ##z > x_0## can exist.

The result is true as well for a non-differentiable ##f(x)## where the right-hand and left-hand derivatives may be different at a few points, but a bit more work may be involved in that case.

1. How do you solve equations involving exponential and trig functions?

To solve equations involving exponential and trig functions, you will need to use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, and isolating the variable. You may also need to use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the trig functions. Once you have isolated the variable, you can use inverse operations to solve for the variable.

2. Can you give an example of an equation involving exponential and trig functions?

One example of an equation involving exponential and trig functions is ex = sin(x). This equation can be solved by taking the natural logarithm of both sides, resulting in x = ln(sin(x)). However, this equation has infinitely many solutions, so it is important to check for extraneous solutions.

3. What is the key to solving equations involving both exponential and trig functions?

The key to solving equations involving both exponential and trig functions is to use the properties of logarithms and trigonometric identities to simplify the equation. Once the equation is simplified, you can use algebraic techniques to isolate the variable and solve for its value.

4. How do you handle complex solutions when solving equations involving exponential and trig functions?

When solving equations involving exponential and trig functions, it is important to check for complex solutions. If the equation results in complex solutions, you can use the euler's formula eix = cos(x) + i sin(x) to express the solutions in terms of i (the imaginary unit).

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions when solving equations involving exponential and trig functions?

Yes, there are some special cases and exceptions when solving equations involving exponential and trig functions. For example, equations with ex or ln(x) as the base may have restrictions on the domain. Additionally, equations with trig functions may have multiple solutions, so it is important to check for extraneous solutions. It is also important to be familiar with the properties of logarithms and trigonometric identities in order to simplify the equation and solve for the variable.