Solve 3rd Degree Taylor Polynomial for \sqrt[ ]{9.03}

• Thread starter Telemachus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary, the equation for the error in approximating a Taylor series by the first n terms (terms up through degree n) is:R_n(x)=\displaystyle\frac{-15(x-9)^4}{4!16\sqrt[ ]{\alpha}}where \alpha=9+0.03\theta, \theta\in{(0,1)}
Telemachus

Homework Statement

Find an approximated value for [tex]\sqrt[ ]{9.03}[/tex] using a Taylors polynomial of third degree and estimate the error.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of solving it by using

[tex]f(x)=\sqrt[]{x}[/tex] centered at [tex]x_0=9[/tex]

So

[tex]P_n(x)=3+\dysplaystyle\frac{(x-9)}{6}-\dysplaystyle\frac{(x-9)^2}{216}+\dysplaystyle\frac{3(x-9)^3}{3888}[/tex]

Then I evaluated it at x=9.03, so I get:

[tex]P_n(x)=3+\dysplaystyle\frac{(0.3)}{6}-\dysplaystyle\frac{(0.3)^2}{216}+\dysplaystyle\frac{3(0.3)^3}{3888}\approx{3.049604167}[/tex]

I don't know if this is right, I've tried with the calculator and it gives 3.00500... Now, how do I estimate the error? just by resting to the value the calculator gives the one I get?

Physics news on Phys.org
9.03-9 = 0.03, not 0.3. :)

****, thanks haha

For the error estimate, there's a formula for the error in approximating a Taylor series by the first n terms (terms up through degree n). If my memory is correct, it looks something like this.

[tex]R_n(x)= \frac{f^{n + 1}(c)}{(n + 1)!}(x - a)^{n + 1}[/tex]

Since it is usually impossible to determine c (which is between x and a), in practice, one finds an upper bound on |f(n+1)(x)|.

Thank you Mark. I think I get it.

Here it is:

[tex]R_{n+1}(x)=\displaystyle\frac{-15(x-9)^4}{4!16\sqrt[ ]{\alpha}}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha=9+0.03\theta[/tex], [tex]\theta\in{(0,1)}[/tex]

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
For the error estimate, there's a formula for the error in approximating a Taylor series by the first n terms (terms up through degree n). If my memory is correct, it looks something like this.

[tex]R_n(x)= \frac{f^{n + 1}(c)}{(n + 1)!}(x - a)^{n + 1}[/tex]

Since it is usually impossible to determine c (which is between x and a), in practice, one finds an upper bound on |f(n+1)(x)|.

I could be wrong, but shouldn't this be an inequality? That's how I remember it.

No, it shouldn't be an inequality. Checking with a calculus text, the formula for the remainder is correct.

It can be thought as inequality like this:

[tex]|R_n(x)|= |\frac{f^{n + 1}(c)}{(n + 1)!}(x - a)^{n + 1}|\leq{}\displaystyle\frac{(x-a)^{n+1}}{(n+1)!} k[/tex]
Where [tex]k=max{f(b) \textsf{ such that b} \in{[x,a]}[/tex]

Last edited:
The remainder is an equality. Usually it suffices to get an upper bound on that derivative - then you have an inequality.

jegues said:
I could be wrong, but shouldn't this be an inequality? That's how I remember it.

The various forms of the Taylor remainder are generalizations of the mean value theorem to higher derivatives and higher degree polynomials -- the remainder is exactly equal to the given expression for some point c in a known interval.

Typical practical applications find the maximum over the entire interval, and then use that as an upper bound on the true remainder.

Hurkyl said:
The various forms of the Taylor remainder are generalizations of the mean value theorem to higher derivatives and higher degree polynomials -- the remainder is exactly equal to the given expression for some point c in a known interval.

Typical practical applications find the maximum over the entire interval, and then use that as an upper bound on the true remainder.

Thank you both, Mark and Hurkyl for clearing things up!

Related to Solve 3rd Degree Taylor Polynomial for \sqrt[ ]{9.03}

1. What is a 3rd degree Taylor polynomial?

A 3rd degree Taylor polynomial is a mathematical approximation of a function using a polynomial of degree 3. It is used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point by considering the function's value and first, second, and third derivatives at that point.

2. How do you solve a 3rd degree Taylor polynomial?

To solve a 3rd degree Taylor polynomial, you need to use the formula: f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2 + f'''(a)(x-a)^3, where a is the point at which you are approximating the function and f(x) is the original function. Plug in the values of f(a), f'(a), f''(a), and f'''(a) and simplify the equation to find the polynomial.

3. What is the Taylor series?

The Taylor series is an infinite sum of terms that represent a function. It is derived from the 3rd degree Taylor polynomial and includes all the derivatives of the function evaluated at a specific point.

4. How can the 3rd degree Taylor polynomial be used to approximate a square root function?

The 3rd degree Taylor polynomial can be used to approximate a square root function by choosing a point a close to the value for which you want to find the square root. Then, you can plug in the value of a and its first, second, and third derivatives into the formula f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2 + f'''(a)(x-a)^3. The resulting polynomial will provide an estimate of the square root function at that point.

5. How do you solve for the 3rd degree Taylor polynomial for the square root of 9.03?

To solve for the 3rd degree Taylor polynomial for the square root of 9.03, you need to choose a value for a close to 9.03. Let's say we choose a = 9. Then, we need to find the values of f(a), f'(a), f''(a), and f'''(a) for the square root function. Plugging in these values into the formula f(x) = f(a) + f'(a)(x-a) + f''(a)(x-a)^2 + f'''(a)(x-a)^3 and simplifying will give you the 3rd degree Taylor polynomial for the square root of 9.03.