Taylor polynomial, approximative solution of this equation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an approximate solution for the equation 4x = (1/3)*cos(3x) on the interval [0,1] by replacing the right hand side with a Taylor polynomial of degree 2 around 0. The approximate equation is x = (1/3)-(3x^2)/2, and the solution can be found by solving this simpler equation.
Kqwert

Homework Statement

The equation 4x = (1/3)*cos(3x) has a solution on the interval [0,1]. Find an approximative solution by replacing the right hand side with a Taylor polynomial of degree 2 around 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So as I understand the task we should find a Taylor polynomial of (1/3)*cos(3x) around 0. I have found this to be
(1/3)-(3x^2)/2. However, which value of x should I put into the equation in order to estimate the solution? I know it must be in the interval [0,1], but unsure of the value.

Physics news on Phys.org
Subtract the 4x from both sides and then you are looking for the zeros of a second order polynomial. Use the quadratic equation to find the values of x that give zero.

Likes Kqwert
Excellent, thank you!

Kqwert said:

Homework Statement

The equation 4x = (1/3)*cos(3x) has a solution on the interval [0,1]. Find an approximative solution by replacing the right hand side with a Taylor polynomial of degree 2 around 0.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So as I understand the task we should find a Taylor polynomial of (1/3)*cos(3x) around 0. I have found this to be
(1/3)-(3x^2)/2. However, which value of x should I put into the equation in order to estimate the solution? I know it must be in the interval [0,1], but unsure of the value.

You have an equation of the form ##x = f(x)## (where ##f(x) = (1/12) \cos(3x)##), and you replace it by a simpler approximate equation ##x = g(x),##, where ##g(x)## is an approximation to ##f(x).## Just go ahead and solve the simpler, approximate equation.

1. What is a Taylor polynomial?

A Taylor polynomial is a mathematical expression that approximates a function by using a finite number of terms from its Taylor series. It is commonly used to estimate the value of a function at a specific point, and the accuracy of the approximation increases as more terms are included.

2. How is a Taylor polynomial derived?

A Taylor polynomial is derived by using the Taylor series, which is a representation of a function as an infinite sum of terms. The coefficients of each term in the series are calculated using the function's derivatives at a given point. The higher the degree of the Taylor polynomial, the more accurate the approximation will be.

3. What is the purpose of using Taylor polynomials?

The main purpose of using Taylor polynomials is to approximate a complicated function with a simpler one. This allows for easier calculations and provides a good estimation of the function's behavior at a specific point. Additionally, Taylor polynomials are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics, to model real-life situations.

4. Can a Taylor polynomial be used to find the exact solution of an equation?

No, a Taylor polynomial is an approximative solution and cannot give an exact solution to an equation. It is an estimation of the function's behavior at a specific point, and the accuracy of the approximation depends on the number of terms included in the polynomial.

5. What is the difference between a Taylor polynomial and a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is an infinite sum of terms that represents a function, while a Taylor polynomial is a finite sum of terms that approximates a function. A Taylor polynomial is a truncated version of a Taylor series, meaning that it only includes a finite number of terms, while a Taylor series includes an infinite number of terms.